Who loves their 4g Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacFon, Sep 29, 2010.

1. MacFon macrumors newbie

I see lots of negative comments here about the 4G Touch, especially remarks on the camera. Who has a new 4g and loves it, and why? Has anyone upgraded from a 2g?

2. Josh0806 macrumors member

Yep, came from a 2G and am rocking the 4G and loving it. In fact, I've started to neglect my iPad because of it. I use my touch for music, facebook, apps, light web browsing and the iPad for video and more heavy browsing. I'm also getting by fine with just 8 gigs on the new touch. I just put all of my video on to the iPad so I have plenty of space on the touch!

3. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

2g>4G. 4G is cool. just don't expect me to gush over the camera. screen is better than 2G. multitasking helps me liking it. speaker is louder/higher fidelity. MONO mode is great for me (deaf in one ear, thanks to surgery). I don't regret buying it, but I can see how some (my wife for one) isn't bowled over by the updated touch.

4. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

I love the 4th gen. Actually it's much better than the 3rd gen.
    Stunning resolution on the screen and much faster.
    White is whiter on the 4G compared to 3G's more yellow'ish white.

Now I can casually browse the web in a decent speed, and view whole pages because of the high resolution.
    That 3G piece of **** was so slow and I had to zoom in all the time to read text.

PDF's and e-books are also freaking awesome compared to the 3G.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I upgraded from a 2G to a 4G. The video recording is fine for a non-dedicated device. As for still images, I find it acceptable for taking quick images to post to social network sites or for when cellphone quality image is better than no image at all. I didn't expect nor want something as good as my Panasonic TZ5.

The screen is a nice improvement and displays videos that I encoded for my iPad much better than the 2G did.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Love is too strong a word. I enjoy my 4th gen only a little bit more than my 2nd gen. The camera has come in handy.

7. eddy2099 macrumors member

This is my first iPod and I must say I am loving the experience apart from the shortcomings.

I love the idea of the HD Camera as now I can take pictures and email them all on the same machine. I know that without optical zoom, the built-in camera would not be a replacement for my digicam. Great during shopping trips and I am unsure of which brand or items to buy and I can take a quick snapshot and email it for confirmation before buying. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. It would have been ridiculous to do the same thing with a digital camera and a netbook in a retail outlet.

Over all, what is great about the iPod is the app store. I am a heavy user of Skype and the iPod Touch version is the only version which supports Wifi. It works exceptionally great. I did consider getting an Android based PDA but the 3G only Skype was a major let down.

I had a Creative Zen player and although it is cheaper and easy to use, it did not separate my audiobooks and my music. So if I were to play in Shuffle All mode, I get a chapter of my audiobook and some music which is odd. The iPod Touch allows me to place my audiobooks under Books so I do not get into the same issue.

The retinal display is certainly great since I am grossly shortsighted and my eyes gots blur reading off any screen but the sharpness of the screen sure makes it a pleasure to read even if the fonts are small.

The iPod Touch is certainly easy to use and I cannot forsee a future without it.

It would have been nice if the boot up was much faster and the screen about 4" instead of the current 3.5" and comes with radio. :)

8. Biker macrumors regular

will get mine tomorrow hopefully when i arrive at miami :)

9. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Bought my touch at my local Best Buy about two weeks ago, I also got the Belkin Grip Vue case, alright case, protects the back well. I have loved it ever since I bought it.

10. kelving525 macrumors regular

I love my iPod Touch. I use it to browse the web, games, Facetime, and read the news. It does what I need and the camera does come in handy at times whenever I felt like taking a quick snapshot to post in Facebook. I knew what I was buying, so I wasn't surprised by anything. BUT, I have to say the voice recording is absolutely stunning... not a lot of static as I would have imagined. It was great!!! I can actually hear the voice of the person that was 20 feet away. :D

11. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Happy user here!

Personally I have to say that I luv my new iPod Touch 4g. I have had it for about two weeks and it is SOOO much better than my previous 2g. The only complaint I have is the lack of a flash in the rear of the pod. Not sure why Apple decided on not including one, but whateva!

The HD video is awesome and the multitasking is sweet! I also luv the ability to put a wallpaper behind my icons now... Couldn't do that with my 2g.

Still haven't played with facetime but don't know anyone else with an iPhone or iPod Touch 4g.

I give it thumbs up!

jedisaga

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I love my 4g touch. I really do. I use it non-stop.

I'm only really unhappy about the clicking camera issue. I actually have two new touches (mine and my wife's), and they both have it.

The only other thing that bothered me at first was the rubber bezel around the glass was a little like "unfinished" on the upper right hand side. Rough to the touch, but I've been working it back and forth with my thumb and microfiber cloth, and it's smooth down for the most part now. Still not as smooth as the rest.

13. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

upgrading from a slow ass iPhone 3G so yes.

14. Eolian macrumors regular

I've had mine almost 2 weeks now and, I absolutely love it. It is actually amazing ... I'm surprised almost daily by what it can do as I dig deeper into it.

Taking high-resolution maps and PDFs out of my shirt pocket in the field - sweet. Netflix streaming, Spark Radio, web browsing in general - way higher than expected satisfaction. Book reading at night is nearly perfect. And all those apps ;):D

Couldn't care less about the low-res camera, and don't use it for music got a Classic for that. It's just a super 8GB pocket computer for the money.

Nice thread ... I fortunately have none of the known issues, but haven't been compelled to chime in with just that, really. Until now :)

15. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I absolutely love the 4G and am very happy with every aspect of it. I wore my last Touch out completely and rely on it very heavily and this has been a great upgrade. Such a great upgrade in fact that my husband, who has been very anti Apple since I have known him, purchased one for himself and is now contemplating an iMac. He is also writing his first app. yeah, the 4G is definitely awesome!

16. bass93 macrumors regular

After receiving my iPod in the mail less than 24 hours ago, I have been blown away. I had a 2g Touch. And this stomps all over it. I did a lot of reading on here about people griping about little things about the new Touch. And I was kind of getting disappointed. And starting to regret that I had spent $300 on a device that had a lot of issues (or at least that's what a lot of people were saying on here.)

Well I got it yesterday afternoon. And. Was. AMAZED! The speed. The sharpness of the display. The multitasking. And even the cameras. Here's what has gone through my head since I've been using the device:

1) Cameras - Let me say that the HD video recording is awesome. I don't have any other camera besides my LG envTouch. And the video on this iPod is amazing. Now for the stills, it gets the job done. Nothing exceptional, but it works. My phone takes better pics as it is a 3.2 MP with flash and auto focus. BUT this works. And I can use it for apps like the Amazon mobile app where you can take a picture of a product to find out how much it costs on amazon.

2) Retina Display - AMAZING!!!! Like really guys. My mom still has a 2g, but she's out of town, so I can't compare between the two at the moment, but let me tell you, the retina display is gorgeous. You can't find pixels!! It's just...I can't give it justice to describe. Go to Best Buy or an Apple store to see what I'm talking about. It's amazing

3) Speed - I knew the new A4 chip would play a factor in apps, but I didn't think it would make a big difference in just the menus alone. Yet it does. If you're looking at your apps all the way to the right and click the Home button to go back to the first page, it FLIES! This and so many more little things I noticed a HUGE difference in. You can get more done in a shorter amount of time.

Overall this device is amazing. If you're on the edge of whether or not to upgrade from a 2g or even a 3g, go check one out. I'm loving mine, and can't wait to do more with it

17. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

Absolutely love it, just like how I started to love my 3rd gen nano 2 years ago.

I have such luck to upgrade my music players when it's most worthwhile. The 3rd gen nano is the best of the nano line in my opinion (it's the only ipod to date to claim an A rating on ilounge). This time I upgraded it to a 4th gen ipod touch and needless to say it is an amazing investment.

18. Seventh macrumors newbie

From 8GB 2G to 64GB 4G here.

The difference in space and performance is quite staggering, though my 2G was packed full, and apparently feeling the strain after being jailbroken as well. [Something I'd only bothered trying once I found out about the 4G.]

Having put far more apps and other files on the new one and not even being anywhere near needing to delete anything is great. [Could do with a case now, mind.]

19. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I've had a 2,3 and now a 4G. They are all nice and my 4G is the nicest. The thing is an absolute marvel.

20. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

It's a jewel, seriously!
    A luxury tech product at a very reasonable price tag. I do love it, like totally. Uh-huh!

21. iperson21 macrumors regular

i seriously don't understand why 2g-upgraders who loveed their 2g don't love their 4g.

its all upgrades.
    +battery life
    +screen
    +speed (a4+more ram)
    +slimmnes
    +front camera
    +back camera
    +better iOS4 compatibility.

what's not to love
    fine, the camera sucks, but can your phone, unless you have some fancy smartphone, take 720p video?

fine, the camera sucks, but would you rather carry around your iPod Touch for casual shots, or your huge fancy nikon camera?

22. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'm thinking its time to upgrade my 1st gen 16Gb to a 4th gen 64Gb model... I tried an iPad 64Gb 3G model for a couple weeks but didn't really take to it and used that $$ to get an HP DM4 i5 14" laptop to replace an Atom N270 netbook that I sold = the new i5 laptop only cost me $420 more than what I sold the netbook for this way!

The laptop is 4.3 lbs and I'd rather carry something "portable" that can do all I need vs the iPad that was lighter, slower and limited for my uses... the iPod Touch should fill in the rest of my portable needs nicely as a companion to my new laptop:eek::D:eek:

23. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

24. PeachieSky macrumors newbie

I've only had my ipod touch for a week and I really love it. I really have no complaints about it. My only complaint for it is that I wish there was a way to zoom in on pics/videos using the camera function. They should have also accompanied a cloth for the touch since it's such an oil print/dust magnet... or at least a free cases. :p All the functions that I needed for it has really helped me out tho. I like how slim it is and how beautiful the display is. I'm really impressed with it. My money was well spent on it. :D

25. Seventh macrumors newbie

There is a digital zoom for the rear camera if you tap the lower part of the view when taking stills, but the quality means you might not find it worth it.