Who needs an Apple Watch when you could have this?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mightyjabba, May 17, 2015.

1. mightyjabba, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015

mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just stumbled upon this Indiegogo project, which is apparently real and not at all an elaborate joke of some kind. A few things struck me about it. First, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the "cuff" and simply strapping your cellphone to your wrist, and yet the cuff requires a tethered cell phone. It also seems to share almost all of its functionality with the Apple Watch, with a few exceptions. It just boggles the mind that this concept has made it as far as I has.

I did like the way it alerts you when you move out of a certain range of the tethered phone, though. (I also stumbled upon this beauty while researching this.)

2. Subdiv macrumors 6502

LOL. That video looks like something from Saturday Night Live...
    They may as well just strap an iPhone 6+ to their arm!

3. LIOC macrumors member

LIOC

I found this about a month ago but couldn't find it again. I like the of a cuff "idea". Their design is way too thick and bulky.

If someday there was a 3'-5' screen, paper thin and breathable, I would be in.

4. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I thought Apple Watch did that too. But because of Wifi range you don't go out of range often?

5. LIOC macrumors member

LIOC

Nope it does not notify you. You have to look at the watch to see you are out of range.

6. mightyjabba thread starter macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Well, it shows an icon at the top of the screen when it's disconnected, but to my knowledge there is no alert or sound played.

7. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Having had two Garmin bands & now watch that does this, I for one am glad the watch doesn't, and it's one of the bigger reasons I'm getting one. My current garmin vibrates probably 30-50 times a day when I'm at home at the weekends as I move around my house and it loses the connection to my phone. I could turn Bluetooth off but then I miss notifications when they come through on my phone. If Apple introduce this, I hope it's an option the user can control. the garmin forums have many threads from people asking for it to be configurable. I get why it's there, but make it an option, not on for all....

8. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Priceless. Without the video, how I am supposed to figure out why the band in photo 1 is different from photo 2?

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It would definitely be an option, but with your home it shouldn't be an issue if you have wifi that your iPhone connects to.

10. whatos macrumors 6502a

Apple watch being an additional device that depends on an iPhone is a concept that invites other companies to create gadgets for Apple Watch. Ringly is one such example.

11. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Insane. Its literally an apple watch that is easily ten times as large. What a crazy idea... I would laugh if I saw someone wearing that...

12. SonRK macrumors 6502

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And had you pulled out an iPhone 6+ to make a phone call back in 2007 people would have laughed at you.

Trust me. After 6 years of people wearing Apple Watches we'll all be used to them and then there will be products like this from Apple too.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Am I the only one completely angered and appalled at the concept of this?

----------

They already do. Buy a workout strap for your iPhone, presto. The iPhone was a smartphone at 3.5" and is still a smartphone at 5.5". This device, whatever the hell you want to call it, is not a watch. Nor will it ever be a watch. The Apple watch doesn't attempt to mimic a smartphone, it's made to be an accessory. This abomination is LITERALLY a smartphone strapped to your wrist. It's not about being being "used to" the bigger size.

15. mightyjabba thread starter macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

This I doubt (very strongly). If anything I see wearables going in the opposite direction -- more like "real" watches and jewelry and less like a screen strapped to your wrist.

----------

On the contrary -- you still need a cell phone to use many of its functions (it can't make calls or access cellular data on its own) so it is actually less useful than a smartphone strapped to your wrist.

16. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Agreed.

So an iPod touch strapped to your wrist. Even better. I can't believe idiots actually donated to this project. Could have just bought one of these....

Attached Files:

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

People already are complaining about their Apple Watch getting dinged up because it is worn, lets make it bigger so it can get even more destroyed.

----------

I really want this from the Apple Watch, I really do!

----------

Except one problem, with a screen this big you STILL need to have your iPhone to make this work! Lol! Laughable at best.

18. Subdiv macrumors 6502

I decided this guy was missing something. Now the picture is complete. ;)

Attached Files:

• ppr.jpg
      ppr.jpg
      File size:
      388.1 KB
      Views:
  19. darkgremio macrumors 6502

To large for everyday use, maybe if you are running, riding a bike, or doing something where you cannot access your phone.

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

21. mightyjabba thread starter macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

22. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

No. Just no.

Attached Files:

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And it goes with everything! (except women and gainful employment)

24. Tawmawse macrumors newbie

My goodness, what's with all the discussion... this just left me speechless. Just wow. Woooooow.