who needs an iphone...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by squeeks, Apr 23, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

so Tom and i got lost in downtown orlando today, residential area, so i pulled out my ipod touch, and found two unsecure wireless networks and was able to use maps and find the way home

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Gee whiz... I don't know. Maybe people that want a phone? And not every square foot of the world is covered in unsecure wifi...

3. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

dude,

CHILL OUT
    :rolleyes:

this is the IPOD TOUCH forum, go back to your iphone forum if you want to complain about me using my ipod to its fullest

4. tesie1200 macrumors newbie

Haha. Don't listen to Akonradi, he tends to take things VERY serious to the point where something humorous becomes boring or a flame war.

But I just wanted to say that I was in Downtown Orlando the other day having lunch right across the Museum of History and the Library and there were lots of wireless networks to connect to! It was great, I think all of downtown has free wireless network call SmartZone or something like that.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Since I'm locked into Verizon because they have the best U.S. overall network and I travel so much, an iPhone is out of the question.

But I was very much looking at an ipod touch for just those reasons. I know this is a bad thing but I'll be traveling away from home and get a phone call and need fast internet access for business.

I'll pull off & try to find a nice residential neighborhood, start trolling the culdesac's with my laptop open scanning for networks. I have yet to be unable to gain wifi access. Telltale signs are usually named Netgear or Linksys. Pull over and surf away. Done quite a few internet "gotta do it now" auctions that way.

Same for big cities. dozens of networks pop up and about a third are open. Holiday Inn's always have them too. Since I do frequent HI so much I just walk in, have a cup of coffee and start surfing like I own the place. Even mooch a breakfast if complimentary buffet running:D

There was a company selling a kit that attaches to your dock that could do VOIP and had sites for free but limited VOIP service. Who needs the iPhone?

6. intempo808 macrumors regular

Ignore Akonradi. He seems to have MASSIVE issues with everything that anyone ever posts, and is often very rude to people. So ignore it.

Anyway, I have found that there a plenty of free wi-fi areas around where I live now. its really good!

I love being able to browse the web and check my mail on the go, and like you said, save you in desperate situations!

:D

7. Nickelz92 macrumors member

I'm more than happy with my touch, but one of the problems I've had with it is not being able to access many Wi-Fi networks. It'd be awesome if the touch was somehow able to access 3G networks, but I know that's probably impossible because that ties into the cellular world.. so whatever. Anyways, the touch owns. :D

8. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

as it turns out those were the two names that were open:D

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm not mad at all. I just said that the world isn't blanketed in wifi. I think that we learned a long time ago that they're two comletely different devices directed toward different audiences... Just because you found free wifi doesn't make the iPhonoe obselete... And by the way, I have both devices so I have every right to read and comment on this part of the forum. I would be able to do that even if I didn't own one.

You posted a question: "Who needs an iphone?" I answered it and commented on it. Sue me.

10. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

whatever dude you're just jealous i dont pay at&t *caugh* apple *caugh* an additional 60 bucks a month to use it:p

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Neither do I. I just got a sweet company phone

12. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

If I may interrupt in this babble fest..
    Anyone else who has a cellular phone pays $60 a month also, except with iPhone you're also getting unlimited data/ VM/ 200 texts. The iPhone combines an iPod touch with a Phone and also a camera and bluetooth device (assuming the iPod touch doesn't have hidden bluetooth, but I really hope it does). So there are many reason to have an iPhone ;)

13. touchyphone macrumors regular

Not to take sides, but it is a phone, he does text and makes calls, he's not just using it for wifi.

I own both an iPhone and Touch, and the touch is great, but it is very limited, imagine if you weren't in a big city, you'd be pretty out of luck trying to catch wifi. And unlike the touch, I have the internet anywhere on my iPhone, living in Los Angeles, getting EDGE speeds of about 200kbs, theres one of the many advantages the iPhone has over the touch.

But to say he is silly for paying that money is kinda silly, like me, I use it as a phone and email and text device, its everything to me. Any other phone is going to cost you per month, no?? So you have a touch and a seperate phone, where as most people combined the phone and touch by getting the iPhone.

my .02

14. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I also have a Touch, and no iPhone because of no coverage here. I hadn't ventured out with it to check out wifi hotspots, but noted the signs all over town advertising them at restaraunts and the hotel (we only have 1 hehe), and my town has less than 6k people. So I went for a walk last night with my Touch, and in 3 miles, found 4 unsecured wifi networks. Linksys mainly, LOL. One was a fast food restaurant that was closed at the time, and the rest residential. if I were more coordinated, I'd prolly surf and walk simultaneously hehe.

I'm glad there are options with the Touch that allow such for those of us who aren't included in the iPhone world (yet). Even in BFE! ;)

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

As little as I use a phone, though I do carry one, the iPod touch was the way to go. I do find some places, like Salt Lake City last week, that don't have as much free wifi as other places. But for the most part I get on, get in, and get going around the world on my :apple: iPod touch.

16. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

gee whiz, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

As for the topic at hand, an iPhone would rock, but I'm locked down to verizon

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

I gave an obvious answer to a question. Somehow that's being rude... Oh, and I didn't eat cornflakes. If you, or anyone else for that matter, feels a need to continue this crap, this is not the place. So let's just all drop it now.

18. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

sorry, hat was a intended to be a joke, sans the smiley face

19. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Akonradi, I felt your response was nothing unsual. Sarcastic maybe, but got your point across, and was logical to boot, and perhaps meant in a humorous way. Wifi is indeed not everywhere (yet), but it's in way more places than I would have guessed. For those of us who aren't able to use the iPhone for whatever reason, thank goodness the Touch has wifi capabilities! Without that, I wouldn't have bothered to buy one.

I think the OP didn't intend the topic title to be literal, but we all interpret things differently, which is fine, imo. I've never had a problem with Akonradi, so the hostility towards him surprised me. Honestly, it's unnecessary on a moderated site. Back to the topic....

I went for a walk again, in the opposite direction (still in BFE). This time it was strictly residential, and my luck in finding unsecured wifi networks was nil. Someone else mentioned sticking to more upscale neighborhoods, and it seems that applies where I live as well. In the 'starter homes' neighborhoods, I got nothing. I think I'm more likely to take my Touch out with me now, though. :)

20. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I need one. I would feel lost without one. Sadly enough, i think that's true...

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

holy crap!!! you must love my signature.

(you have no idea how excited it made me to read that post)

22. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

I actually got it from your sig :D i just seamed to fit... even though it was slightly rude:p

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

well as you can see I took it from nateco, so I think it's one of the best recycled lines.

24. mosx macrumors 65816

I had Verizon before getting my iPhone.

They are certainly NOT the best network.

Dropped calls on many different brands of phone. Despite being less than a mile from the tower I, and room mates, only had about 2 bars of signal inside the house.

With my iPhone I get 5 bars everywhere and have had only two dropped calls since I got it last August.

I get coverage where Verizon wouldn't, such as the local mountains and middle of the desert.

Verizon is just overpriced and overrated.

It felt good calling them and telling them I was canceling and switching to AT&T.

25. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Glad you're happy. I have a small company and was using AT&T. Plan costs were outrageous and when Verizon family plans came along, it was good for us. I do miss Nokia phones & now possibility of getting an iPhone though.

Story is had ATT. Verizon & Sprint both were trying to get our small business plan so we sent employees who travelled w. one of each's phone for a month. So we actually had a test of three diff. national phone providers for one month and took a poll at end of month. Veriaon won hands down. Sorry. Consumer Reports verified findings.

I hate Verizons crippled phones and a lot of things about them but they do have what i need for a phone - coverage where I need it.