Who polished there stainless steel watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mattysouthall, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mattysouthall macrumors member

Even though Apple states "Apple does not recommend polishing or buffing the watch with abrasives." Who has buffed or cleaned there Stainless Steel watch?

I have done it with mine because the amount of scratches and rough surface those scratches caused around the edges.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on the threads and posts, I'd say many members here have done it. Being an owner of the sports model, this does not pertain to me :)

3. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I have used a polishing cloth but thats it, I am thinking eventually I will take it to a jeweler to have the scratches buffed out since they can typically get all scratches out.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple's statement that "[they do] not recommend polishing or buffing the watch with abrasives" is nothing more than a CYA statement, no different from "submerging the watch is not recommended" (even though it's waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes) and "the leather bands aren't water resistant."

They do not want people polishing or buffing the aluminum models and you have to know what you're doing if you're polishing the SS models lest you mess them up.

5. Reytiros macrumors newbie

i use cape cod polishing cloth to get all scratches out of the SS. i have done it several times and the watch looks like new.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

+1. No issues here.

7. flur macrumors 68000

+2. Just did this over the weekend and the watch looks great.

8. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Nope. I have the link bracelet, and I like the watch to look a little worn in, just like my mechanical dive watches.

9. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Likewise. Mine won't be going beyond an occasional wash in warm, soapy water.

10. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

+3. Watch buffs up great. Looks good as new

11. mattysouthall thread starter macrumors member

I have used Autosol from Amazon. It has removed the rough surface scratches and smoothen it out, happy with the results except it still has scratches, I probably will take it to professionals and get it done properly eventually.

12. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I am using the same clothes but mine still shows the normal wear scratches. Maybe I am not rubbing long or hard enough?

13. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yep, just like my Rolex, I wear the thing all day, and I clean it when I shower. No reason to get worried about a bunch of scratches on a steel watch.

14. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Scratches add character. My Tag Aquaracer has a lot of character.

15. Reytiros macrumors newbie

depends on how deep your scratches are on the case.
    try rubbing longer, no need to push harder.

16. mattysouthall thread starter macrumors member

Anyone think the black stainless steel apple watch will show up more when it scratches?

17. Craiguyver macrumors member

Craiguyver

+4. I bought my SS used and noticed it had small scratches along the top of the watch. I used the Cape Cod cloth as well and had successful results. It looks like new now or extremely close to it. I am happy with the results.

18. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Just used the cape cod polishing cloth on my launch day 42mm SS Apple Watch and my fiancé's 38mm. The results are mind blowing. Hers was way worse than mine. Pretty much dull with scratches. They both look NEW after about 15 mins of polishing.

Attached Files:

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

+1 on the cape cod polishing cloth. I waited for the 6 month mark to do it and it was like new after.

20. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

What I'd like to see is someone brush the polished steel finish. A brushed finish could look great.

21. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Did you all cut the cloth down? I have a 2 pack but the cloths are pretty large and I worry about it getting on the sapphire glass? Did you just rub it like a normal cloth and on average how long per side?

22. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

I didn't worry about the glass (obviously I didn't intentionally rub the glass) it took about 2-3 minutes per side and I spent about a minute on the bottom. I definitely applied a lot of pressure (hand cramp after doing 2 watches). I don't think I did any sort of damage during the process. Both watches are functioning perfectly and look wonderful.

23. Radeon85 macrumors regular

I have had my 42mm SS watch since launch and I use the cape cod polish cloth on mine whenever a few tiny hairline marks appear (used about 6 times). After 10 months it still looks like new, even put under a very bright light the finish is perfect, not a scratch anywhere.

It only takes a few minutes to do.

24. Jvjlite macrumors regular

Jvjlite

I bought a used SS Apple Watch on eBay, listed as in "excellent condition". It arrived in very scratched up, but "working" condition. I used a Cape Cod polishing cloth + the careful use of a dremel tool, using a soft polishing brush to bring the watch to a pristine, like new finish.

25. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

good to know, mine is a bit dull by this point... wonder what my alternatives are as this thing u mention is certainly not available here.