who prefers 'mail' to 'thunderbird'?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Jun 28, 2008.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

which is better people? i use thunderbird but if there's a way to copy all my stored mail (eg, reciepts) from one to the other could someone let me know?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

how come? is there a way to transfer my old messages to mail?

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I find thunderbird doesn't work correctly with my IMAP accounts compared to Mail which works flawlessly. (eg deleting messages gives errors) Plus I like the mail interface better :p

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Yes -- in mail: file-import mailboxes -- check Thunderbird, etc.

I know people who've done this with Entourage without any major problems, but in any case, if there's a problem with the import, they'd still be there in Thunderbird. Then, you'd need to add your accounts to mail.

7. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

8. chscag macrumors 65816

Mac Mail for mail, and Thunderbird to read newsgroups and forums posted using NNTP.

Regards.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

at MR. most people will prefer any apple products over 3rd party apps. you should just try for yourself.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know I prefer the Apple products unless I have a compelling reason not to

Mail does all I need, so I have never really looked at an alternative

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

cleven, I'd still like to know what you use. I use Thunderbird, but I never used mail enough to even get used to it. When I first started using mail, I had trouble embedding pics in messages, it seemed I had to take pics from iPhoto only which frustrated me and I gave up.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Mail.app's import doesn't work reliably with Thunderbird mail (at least it didn't in Tiger).

Use Eudora Mailbox Cleaner to transfer Thunderbird mail to Mail. After the transfer you'll have to reindex your mailboxes. Or you could use IMAP.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't think I've ever had problems with pics and mail
    What exactly was the issue?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, at least my post didn't show preference :D!

Im using thunderbird, mail.app has trouble retrieving my IMAP mails. There are other things I like about TB, such as easy color labeling of each message as I see fit, better display of simple math equations. I use 3 different OSes, Thunderbird gives me more familiar environment.

There are subjective reasons as well. Such as Open Source. etc

PS. I really hope TB3 will ship with tabbed UI, apparently it is still not working correctly at this stage.

15. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I was trying to drag images from my desktop to a template. It's been awhile since I did it. I honestly am not sure if the problem was me or mail!

16. bstreiff macrumors regular

Mail.app totally wouldn't cope with my university e-mail IMAP account (deciding, for some reason, to also display my home directory and the files within as unremovable directories. Never could figure out why.) but Thunderbird worked just fine.

Thunderbird it is for me.

Unfortunately, I could never figure out how to get Thunderbird to work with Address Book instead of using its own.

17. ihabime macrumors 6502

I use Mail, mainly because it's there, built-in already and good enough for my usage. I didn't really see anything in thunderbird or other mail programs that seemed like a 'must have' feature for me.

Of course, those fugly buttons in Mail still annoy me, but they can be dealt with :p

18. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I have used both, but prefer Mail because of the way it handles multiple accounts.

19. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'd like to use Mail, but it too frequently forgets passwords.

20. elbirth macrumors 65816

before I switched to mac several years ago, I was always a big Thunderbird fan. I still used Thunderbird on themac for a very long time. I originally tried mail.app, but it didn't seem to want to import mail from the one POP account I had (the rest were IMAP and worked great). Finally I tried it again right after I upgraded to Leopard on the day of release and it has been great. Much more responsive than Thunderbird ever was, and I like the Mac feel it has. I've never had any issues using it, and whenever an IMAP server is down, it has an icon to inform me, instead of me wondering what's wrong. If Thunderbird had been as quick as Mail, I would have probably stuck with it, but I really do like Mail a lot now.

21. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Mail neither remembers nor forgets passwords. They are stored on your user keychain. When Mail unexpectedly asks for a mail account password it's just about always because of a problem with the connection or the IMAP/POP mail host.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

+1

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. EB66 macrumors 6502

mail for me, i actually switched from thunderbird, i love how everything works together with other apps and the interface is nice too

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not a heavy emailer so I don't see any need migrating from Mail. I've used Outlook and Outlook Express in the past but Outlook was way too big for my needs and Express wouldn't send messages sometimes, send/recieve did nothing, I had to restart the app.

Mail (so far) has been problem free for me.

25. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Thanks for that. I realised that the password is stored in Keychain , I was just trying to keep the post short..