Who prefers the old clunky Mac Desktop keyboards?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrsir2009, May 7, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Who prefers the old clunky Mac Desktop keyboards to the new wireless low profile ones without numpads?

I've switched back to the old black clunky style keyboard because its so much more practical, no batteries, there's a numpad, you can be rough with it and hitting the keys feels more rewarding :D

How many of you have done the same thing for your Mac desktops?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I actually use a new-style Apple KB on my DIY PC. :p

I do prefer the wired model that has a num pad though.

B

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah I've used those bigger wired ones, and they are better and I wouldn't mind using them. Its just the wireless ones I find impractical. It seems like Apple made them to look good on the website :rolleyes:

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I've got the wired w/ num pad. Best keyboard I have ever used. I also have an old mechanical switch keyboard sitting around somewhere, which also feels really nice, but is PS/2 rather than USB. It has a rather satisfying click to it

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I was a huge fan of the white Apple keyboards with the tall keys.... until.... I got one of the new wired ones. What a glorious keyboard this is.

I love the short throw on the keys, and they are so easy to keep clean. I can't quantify this, but I certainly "feel" like I'm typing faster...

But I think we can all agree, the wireless Apple keyboards aren't worth the aluminum they're made from. No number pad? Batteries? No thanks.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I use a black Apple Pro Keyboard on my desktop. I plan to move it over to my laptop once I eventually get around to selling my desktop; it's still a good keyboard after all this time.

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

If you're interested, you can still buy those keyboards (based on the IBM Model M design with a buckling spring for that nice "click click" sound) and some companies make them in USB. Here's one:

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/mightymouse.html

8. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've got the very same one on my 2010 iMad :D

9. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Those are awesome...do you know of any keyboards like that that are wireless though? (I'd be happy to use it wired, but my computer is far away enough that I'd have to use a long extension...)

I'm using a great Logitech Wave Cordless at the moment. Love the feel and the batteries generally last a little over a year. I also have to have a numpad - I don't use it quite as much as someone in finance, but I do tend to use it a fair bit - enough that I'd really miss it if it was gone.

I'm considering one of those retro keyboards now though...

10. MacHamster68, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i had the aluminium wireless one , no numberpad(biggest fail ever) , feels cramped, the wireless one never could keep up with my typing , i guess the max i reached without having to wait for it to catch up is 50 words per minute , cant write that slow even if i try to, i do easy 80-90 somtimes hitting 100 words per minute on a bad day (typing with 10 fingers of course blind like i learned it some near 30 years ago on a standard typewriter non electric )

then i bought the alu usb one with numberpad , better , but its sitting now in a cupboard , it loos good but it somehow does not feel right , is it the size of the keys or the distance between , i dont know

bought the older white acrylic one feels much better , and cleaning it is easy just pop of the keys , put them in a bucket with a bit water and washing up liquid , leave them for a couple minutes in there and take them out to dry and the keyboard looks like new again and it types better too as you know when you hit a key, feels more responsive too and easier to type blind too on that old white keyboard

11. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I was used to the new slim ones so when I saw the old style again I thought I was attracted to it just because of how different it is to the newer ones.....then I got a slim keyboard with numpad for myself and I couldn't ever go back.

The new one is probably my favourite keyboard out of any that I've ever used.

12. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I like both my new small wireless keyboard and the chunky one attached to my iMac G4. To be honest though, the older one is probably nicer to type on, and its full size. I could have had a full sized keyboard when I bought my recent iMac but they wouldn't open the box in-store and swap it... Which I was rather gutted about.

13. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its funny how the new iMac keyboards are exactly the same as the MBP keyboards. I thought one of the advantages of a desktop computer was a bigger keyboard with all full size keys and a number-pad. :rolleyes:

I also have problems with batteries and wireless. Really I can't be bothered with it. Wireless isn't worth it for me :D

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think I just found my birthday present to myself :D lol. Just making sure, they work fine on Windows too, right? I BootCamp for a couple programs. :)

15. kingtj macrumors 68020

Umm....

Yeah... In fact, the only problem with that keyboard you saw in that link is, it's designed primarily for Windows. Looks like the key-caps have things like the Windows flag logo on them, vs. the Apple labels like "option".

The closest thing I've been able to find that's *really* designed for the Mac is the Matias Tactile Pro keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Matias-Tactile-Pro-Keyboard-Bette/dp/B003N3HFI6

I've owned the Matias before and the key-feel is great! Only problem I had with it was the letters kept wearing off the tops of its key-caps! I exchanged it twice for a warranty replacement with Matias, and they were very good about it -- but the replacements I got had the same issue. I finally just gave up on it. Hopefully, they've fixed this problem since then, though. This was at least 4 years ago.

16. dizzy130 macrumors member

I use the white plastic one that came with a eMac years ago hooked up to my MacBook on a stand at home. At work I have a wireless aluminum one with an iMac and I don't like it at all.

17. negatv1 macrumors 6502

I use old Apple Extended II Keyboards with iMate ADB->USB adapters.(Actually have both both the Extended I&II, but prefer the II over the I),

Besides a few small differences between these and a modern keyboard, the feel is absolutely awesome (if you like clicky keyboards). The difference being things like the keyboard 'nubs' are on the wrong keys (instead of f & j, they are one over), and have no sort of extra multimedia keys, which isn't a big deal and can remap all things like brightness & eject with the excellent Keyboard Maestro app.

Another downside is having to horde the old keyboards whenever you find them in good condition, which will get harder to do as the years go on. Same goes for the iMate ADB->USB adapters, which aren't sold new anymore AFAIK.

Did look at the Matias Tactile Pro - but seems a bit cheaply made, for not being so cheaply purchased.

18. kingtj macrumors 68020

re: Apple Extended KBD II

Yeah, I have to agree with you. The key-feel on the Extended Keyboard II was pretty much unparalleled. About 10 years ago, I worked for a guy who was collecting up older Macs (mostly from school districts trying to unload them). We'd refurbish them (often by cannibalizing parts from broken ones to make good ones), clean them up, and configure them as inexpensive "first computers" for small kids to use. (Many of them went to daycare centers.)

He wound up with a small collection of the Extended Keyboard II's as well as many other types of Apple keyboards, and I *loved* the II.

The Matias Tactile Pro claims it uses the same ALPS key-switches that were used in the original IBM PC keyboards that many people remember so fondly and love. (I think ALPS also was claimed to provide the keyswitches in the Extended Keyboard II.) But from what I learned, the overall feel was considerably different between the old metal IBM keyboards, the Extended II's and the Tactile Pros.

The original IBM keyboards had the loudest and most "clicky" feel, closest to an old typewriter. The keys had a considerable amount of resistance when pushed down and felt like they slightly pushed your finger back up again when you started to let go of one you'd just depressed. The whole thing had the "heaviest" feel of anything I've ever typed on, on a computer.

The Extended Keyboard II struck some kind of balance between those keys with a real positive "snappy/clicky" response, and the more modern, quieter keys. The keyboard felt rock solid, even if you basically stabbed at the keys, yet it felt more like it contained plastic, not metal. The keys on them didn't snap back with the loud, metallic "springy" release of the old IBM keyboards.

The Tactile Pro doesn't quite feel like either of those to me. You can tell it uses high quality keyswitches as soon as you type on it, and they do have the classic "snappy/clicky" feel -- but the surrounding case is cheaper, lighter-weight plastic and contributes to that "cheaper feel" of the whole thing. But moreover, I thought the keys felt like they took less resistance to depress and popped back up with less force, too. Everything has a little bit "looser" feel to it. Some may prefer that, but I didn't -- yet it's better than 99% of the options being sold today.

Actually, I'll tell you what the Tactile Pro reminds me the most closely of; the old Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboards. (Old time PC users will probably remember those and know what I'm talking about.) A Tactile Pro isn't nearly as heavy or well made, if you're comparing the exterior shells -- but I'm referring to just the key-feel. The Northgates were pretty sought after as a modernized substitute for the old IBM PC keyboards and allowed reconfiguring their keycaps to use a DVORAK layout instead of QWERTY too. Anyway, I always thought while good in their own right, they weren't really a perfect copy of the key-feel of the old IBM keyboards.

19. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No...? I'm looking at THIS one. It's the same one that is linked above too..no Windows markings in sight.

20. negatv1 macrumors 6502

I kind of like the idea of that keyboard. Very old school. Would have to see one in person before spending the $100 on one, but definitely a nice find.

I'm still on the fence about the Matias TactilePro. I've seen one in person at the local Microcenter, but feels similar to the Apple Pro keyboards from 4-5 years ago, with better key switches, and worse overall build quality.

21. kingtj macrumors 68020

Ah, I stand corrected!

When I saw the original pic, I just assumed it was a Windows set of key-caps ... probably due to the way it looks EXACTLY like an old IBM PC type keyboard.

That's interesting, but the markings they put on the function keys for "Expose" and so forth look a little bit "amateur", don't you think? It's a cool product -- but for almost $100, I would have thought they could do a little better with the printing on the key-tops.

22. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The apple stuff is certainly all trademarked, so they can't really do much about that.

23. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Low profile with numpad 4 life! I just bought a used mac pro that didn't come with a keyboard and went and bought the one with numpad again.. cant beat it for a desktop.

24. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Apple needs to bring back the old ADB Ergonomic keyboard. That thing was a beast. I would totally use it again if it wasn't such a mess to hook ADB up.

For now, I'm using a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. Best keyboard I have used in years. At least they've got something decent coming out of there, albeit something fairly minor in their grand scheme of things.

25. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I will never go back to the old style keyboard. I have yet to find a keyboard that I can type faster on than apples current aluminum keyboard. I also love the feel of it more than any other thing I have tried.