Who Rocks Naked?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by accountforit, Feb 8, 2014.

?

Who Rocks Naked?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2014.
  1. NAKED!

146 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. Skin

13 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Case

17 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Who rocks their Macbook Pro naked; no case and no skin?

Only the beautiful Apple design showing!!

2. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

5. hfg, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I like the black carbon-fiber look with a skin from iCarbons. Makes it easier to hang on to as well.

It is too bad Apple made them stop cutting the Apple logo such that the lighted logo shines through with a slightly undersized red Apple insert (see my avatar for how it used to be).

NOTE: iCarbons used to supply the top cover piece with the Apple Logo cut out to expose the lighted area. They also supplied contrasting logo inserts in both "exact fit" and "undersized fit" so you could have your choice of 3 different looks. Their web site now indicates that Apple asked them to stop doing this, so now the top cover piece is solid, although some of the color choices are semi-translucent which allows some of the lighted Apple logo to shine through. There is no light passthrough with black carbon-fiber however.

6. accountforit thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like the naked look, but considered a skin at one time. I think skins hinder heat dissipation a bit so I pass on them.

I didn't know that Apple made them stop cutting out the logo.

7. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Tip:
    I was in the market for a case but being a student it seems hard to justify a Bookbook or Speck or something between 50-80$.
    My biggest problem with my Macbook was that when I had it on a table top and I moved it, you'd hear crumbs, dirt and grit chewing on the bottom of your laptop. The black feet just don't give it enough lift.
    So I went to the hardware store and picked up an assorted pack of 3M clear vinyl sticky pads! Placed the largest ones beside the black pads (because I thought it was a good idea) and viola. $2.50 solved my problem and gave it better grip and I have another set in my laptop bag incase I lose one.

TipTip:
    Use a lighter and heat up the glue before applying it to the Macbook. It'll stick a bit better but is still within reason to remove if needed. No residue.

8. esskay macrumors 6502

Mine is naked, I'm pretty careful with it too, though. Have a nice padded sleeve for transport that goes in a well padded swissgear backpack.

9. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I have padding for my padding as well!

11. esskay macrumors 6502

I see your padding and raise you a padding! ;)

12. Adonys macrumors regular

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, I don't use mine with anything on it either. Don't care if it gets a dent or whatever, that's not something I'm fussed about.

14. Bri in Mtl, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

Bri in Mtl macrumors member

A clear Speck case for me. Should help down the road when it comes time to resell.

15. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never used a case (other then a carrying case :p) and my MBPs seem to survive pretty well. I typically don't see scratches or anything. I have a 2010 MBP that my wife uses and its still in pristine shape.

17. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Use a Crumpler zip case but only for transport / protection and also a Crumpler shoulder bag too.

( Radtech screen protector / cleanser too between keyboard & screen )

Otherwise it's naked during use.

M.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I rock naked. There's no one to see me, so the rocking (a sign of neuropsychological disturbance) is OK...but sometimes I wear undies.

Oh, wait...

You mean my MBP! Yeah, it's naked too...but I seldom rock it as it sleeps by itself.

19. tmoerel macrumors 6502

The MacBooks are made from aluminium for a reason. The aluminium transports heat from the inside to the outside and acts as a huge cooler. Covering your macbook compromises the heat transport and thus your macbook will run hotter.
    In the long run electronics running hotter perform less and degrade more over time. So covering your macbook can actually lessen the life of your machine.

So cover it when it is not in use but when in use leave it naked as it as meant to be! Or accept that your mac can fail earlier!

20. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Err, practically everyone.

21. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Naked like the day I got it :D. Both of my Macs have been naked except for a sleeve to put them in my backpack. My 2009 looks pretty good except for some minor scratches. My rMBP still looks pretty good except for fingerprints and such.

22. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I just use a slim sleeve for when I'm traveling. Always use it carefully though but without any case or skin. Much nicer to use that way, I think.

23. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I have a Tom Bihn sleeve, but I seen no point to a skin. Skins are always on, but how often do you drop your MBP while using it.

24. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i'm not paying premium price to have a plastic cover making it thicker and uglier :) naked all the way!

25. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502