Who still has their launch-day phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Savage, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Fourteen hours in the blazing heat with no reservation (so no guarantee I would have one) later, I got my beloved iPhone 4 on the day it came out and very much still have the same one. I've recently gone through two back pieces, though, both with the bumper on and both from the height of my lap while sitting in a chair.

Oddly enough, ever since I got the phone I have numerous dreams about the phone getting ruined by water. They are almost always bizarre (in typical dream fashion) and I have no idea why I have these dreams to begin with as I'm not particularly paranoid about my phone (on a scale of 1-10, I'd say I'm about a 6 as far as babying the phone goes).

Who else still has their original launch-day phone?

2. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thats kind of funny because I will dream about my phone getting ruined by water as well. For some reason I tend to jump in the water in my dreams only to realize I have my phone in my pocket. Strange:confused:

But yes, I have my iPhone 4 from day one, never broke or damaged it, looks pretty new. Never use a case either, just the Zagg Leatherskin to prevent scratching the back. I think this is the longest I've ever kept the same phone. Come on iPhone 5:D!

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

same here. got in line at 1pm and out at 330pm. i have one little scratch just above the metal band on the bottom from before i had a case. other than that nothing wrong and still running like a champ. will be giving to my mom when the 5 comes out though. :)

4. TWD98j macrumors regular

Still rocking my 3GS from launch day in June 2009. It's been great to me and I never had to get replaced. Only thing I did once was drop it face down in the snow, accidentally.

Was a snowy day last year and I was on my way leaving work when I went to put my iPhone in my shirt pocket, but missed because I had my heavy winter coat on too. Didn't notice until I was already on the road. Headed back to the parking lot immediately and found my 3GS laying face down in the snow. Picked it up, put it on my dashboard, turned the heat up, and the phone still works :)

That said, it is starting to show its age by being sluggish at times, and, due to RAM constraints, apps are starting to crash more frequently.

I skipped the iPhone 4 for several reasons, and am eagerly awaiting the iPhone 5, so that I can upgrade.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Still have my 4 that I got the day before you did so there.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I still have every launch day iPhone since the original.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

still have my launch day device, I got up early to go to a local vodafone store to be turned down cause I drew all m money out to get iPhone and they said I failed credit check cause my bank was empty so I tried my operator round the corner.

They said only pre-order devices being given out so I walked round town feeling deflated and eventually came across another shop for my operator no queues no1 even inside and I walked in asked to upgrade and was sat down watching people queue outside a store next door grinning to myself as my phone was brought out lol

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

When i read the thread title i thought it would be talking about people who queued for and still had the original iPhone. Thats a lot more special ;)

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup, still have my launch-day iPhone 4 and still on 4.0. Never dropped it because it is in a holster when I go out. And has been in a bumper or Speck case except for one day when I tried using it naked but realized it is too slippery. Still is my favorite cell phone ever just because it rarely crashed on me and I never dropped a call on it.

I can only remember a handful of times when it did freeze on me and then reset itself. Like an average of every 2-3 months that might happen. Nothing is perfect. You might also see some slight hiccup because of its already dated GPU. Compare a Samsung Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4 when it comes to games and framerates to know what I mean. My other smartphones including my original iPhone crashed much more often though. With BlackBerry, I seem to need to use a Quick Pull app to replicate a battery pull just to clean up the memory and lag. I have it scheduled. Some CrackBerry users do this at least 2-3x per day! I'm more for the simpler things like stability.

Lately, I have been using other smartphones to do some multimedia duties which keeps my iPhone 4 from deteriorating its battery after all the full charges. What used to be 1-2 days between charges is now about bi-weekly.

10. aleni macrumors 68020

i do. and double clicking home button works really well on my wife's iPhone. she bought it couple months ago and while my first batch iPhone 4 only working 70% when double clicking to bring the multitasking bar, and it's from day one. i guess the later batch has much better home button.

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Right here. I've had my iPhone 3G since launch in '08!

12. 156457 macrumors 6502

I have this exact same dream! Jumping in the pool only to realise, damn, iPhone in pocket! or dropping it in a puddle... never dropping and smashing it or breaking it etc always water damage i dream about. bizarre!

13. n1ckyboy, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  14. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

15 months and counting

I still have my launch day iPhone 4 to. I drove to pretty much every apple store and radio shack in my state to get it but eventually I got lucky at a RadioShack. The 4 is the longest I have ever kept a phone.... Who else is tired of waiting for the 5?:) better be good.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah the iPhone 4 is the longest I've ever owned a particular cell phone too.

Got mine on launch day, after a week of not having a phone because someone stole my iPhone 3GS one day before online preorders were set to begin.

16. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

had mine up till about a week ago, the sleep button was broken and it was out of warrantee. The genius being the nice guy that he is replaced it and gave me a refurb.

17. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Mine was mailed to my house. I opened it at 1:15 on launch day. No waiting for me.

18. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I still have all my launch day phones. Like #4 the most. Dropped it a few times with no damage. My ipad2 on the other hand took one drop and dinged the corner and cable connector. It being made out of aluminum means it took on another shape and now the screen is raised a mm or more across the bottom. I'm afraid I will grab it wrong and crack the glass. I only bring this up because #4 seems so solid and I hope the next release won't look more like the ipad2 and use softer aluminum instead of the fairly sturdy glass steel sandwich.

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I have mine (iPhone 4), though I probably should have taken it in for a refurbished one before the one year mark. A few months ago, it started showing a yellow ring on the right side of the screen similar to the yellow spots that people were complaining about soon after launch. It only appears if the phone is warm from the weather or long periods of use. It's more annoying than anything else, but I figure I can live with a flawed phone.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I still have the one I pre-ordered and received the day before launch. I bought a bumper the actual day of launch and have had some type of bumper style case since. Not any noticeable scratches on it, even after a few drops. I've had every phone since they launched, but this one is definitely my favorite design. I'm planning to upgrade, but I'm hoping they don't change the design too much.

21. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Still got my launch day phone. It was funny on the day I waited in line at a Vodafone store in Manchester only to hear they had sold all the IPhones on a first come first serve basis. I decided to head home and order one by phone but as I was walking out of the shopping centre I remembered there was another store on the way out. So I walked in and got an IPhone 4 and walked out within 15 minutes.

I got them to activate the phone in the store and when I walked out I noticed the huge line at the Apple store and I had to go in to buy Snow Leopard so the iPhone would be able to work with my IMac. Wow all the people in the line wanted to look at it and by the time I got to the front of the Apole store my phone was fingerprint heaven. Lol I nearly cried! :D

22. Mahshall macrumors member

16gb launch day iPhone 4 still works like a champ.

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Unfortunately that's not true. I'm on my third iPhone 4, all due to defective home buttons. My 3GS & older iPhones had no problems. Each of those was bought on launch day as well. Too bad quality is slipping.

24. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I still have and still use my launch day iPhone 4 up until this past week (trying out the Motorola Atrix for a couple weeks). My iPhone still works as good as it did on day one so I'm satisfied. No home button issues or anything else.

My girlfriend's iPhone 4 on the other hand is a different story. She got her phone about a month after launch day but had home button issues so we got hers replaced last week.

25. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I still have my launch-day 3GS, although I'm looking to sell it.