Who Still Plays Starcraft ?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by richxps, May 13, 2009.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Hi, i just got my new macbook air, the top of the line SSD version. I plan on installing Starcraft via digital download from blizzard. Is anyone still playing this game ? does it look good on a mac ?
    Thanks, if anyone is still playing maybe we can team up /
    Thanks

2. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Huh, I completely forgot about that game. Used to be a huge fan of it. Maybe I should get back into it. Hmmmmm.

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Will it run smooth? Yes. But will better hardware increase how this game looks? No. It's a 2D sprite game. The top hardware from years ago could run this game flawlessly.

I still play, mainly to finish the storyline so I can be ready for SC2.

4. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

ok so you dont go on the multiplayer at all ? curious if anyone is still on..

5. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Starcraft is nowhere near dead, it's after all the national sport in South Korea. You will find thousands of players online.

6. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

sweet so ill find plenty of games than until SC2 comes out or if im picked for the Beta

7. BTGeekboy macrumors member

If you have the PC version, go to www.battle.net and register your old CD key. They'll give you a new, longer key - and you can download the Mac client.

As for how well it runs, I've got a late 2006 Macbook with the old GMA950 (C2D 2.0Ghz), and it works fine.

8. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Just set it up today on the Virtual PC LAN at work... So yeah, I still play it.

9. aki macrumors 6502a

yeah i still play and yeah its still huge

any1 watch the pro league games?? amaaaaazing players

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why would you even ask? Its still the (or one of the) most played RTS game ever. And its an e-sport in South Korea with over 400 pro gamers, thousands of amateurs (who play to get their pro licence) and even more casual and semi-competitive gamers.

If you want quality opponents and a good (best) ladder, go to sc.iccup.com and follow to instructions. You'll need an app called MacBNetGatewayEditor to add their server to the list of in-game servers. Please avoid the default Blizzard's servers like plague - low skill, mostly cheating and hacking, UMS, Fastest and BGH community heaven.

I follow every Korean league and download VODs regularly (http://www.youtube.com/jon747)

11. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Still go to Thailand, Korea, or Japan once a year to play in a tournament. Its a very well balanced game that is a lot of fun and runs very well on just about every computer since 1995.

12. jonnos macrumors regular

i play when bored.. mainly use map settings games..
    i plan on playing the storyline again when starcraft 2 gets a release date.

13. MrM macrumors 6502

I play Broodwar from time to time. MrM is my name on there if you ever see me.

14. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Starcraft is still one of my all time favorite games. The only thing I wish the game had is the ability to build walls. As a turtler when it comes to RTS games, I would appreciate being able to define barriers rather than depend on what the map gives you. I guess it helps with the balance though, for if we were able to build walls, the Zerg would absolutely no attack power. That said, I can't wait for Starcraft 2!

15. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

You know what's better than starcraft?

Cossacks: European Wars.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Huh? Pretty much 80% of time Terran builds a wall at his choke/ramp in TvP.

And its common to block of your nat choke with barracks/e-bay and supply depos if you turtle hard core.

In TvZ walls are not as widespread, used only when T goes mech.

In TvT walls are used only to block vulture run-by when you went for a fast expo.

17. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I haven't played in a while, but it's been in the back of my mind because of the impending release of SC2.

I just got a new iMac, and I haven't installed it yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

This used to be one of our main sources of entertainment back when I was in high school. One of my friends had a few computers in his basement, and the rest of us would bring over laptops, and (especially during winter) we would play SC all night over the LAN, or hop on battle.net and play online games.

Good times!

18. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I still play occasionally, this game will run on a toaster these days, and tons of people still play, I do occasionally.

19. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'll fire up a game of StarCraft every now and again. Playing Melee makes it s challenge even against the comp. I swear they made the comp smarter in updates over time. Hopefully my MacBook Pro will have sufficient specs to run SC2 when it finally comes out.

20. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

21. McShizzel macrumors regular

Got back to playing it a few months ago then stopped, but like most I'm waiting for Starcraft 2.

22. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

EVERYBODY who bought the boxed games has the PC version. They also have the mac version.

The CD's are hybrid, so anybody who owns the game has a CD key valid for both the mac and pc versions.

That said, what BTGeekboy said is correct. You can go to Blizzard's online store and register your game there, and then you can download the mac client (or PC client if you choose to), and you also won't need ur CD's anymore.

I'd LOVE to play StarCraft, but it's not practical for me to do so. I suffer from massive lag as a result of my router setup (only in Starcraft, not in any other game, and i've tried it on multiple computers in the house running both OS X and Windows). Nobody at Blizzard, cablevision, or Netgear is able to solve the problem, so if i DO want to play, I can't do it at home : \

But I would if I could.

23. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

is it OK to play this game in VMWare Fusion on a macbook pro 2.4ghz w/ 4gb ram or is it just better to get the mac version of starcraft?

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My 66mhz mac can't run it... but it can run Warcraft 2 :D

The CD that you have for PC should work for mac too, you might need to download the OS X installer though, which you can get from here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23965

25. tYsopz macrumors member

Actually I reinstalled SC yesterday. Unfortunately for me, I'm getting my ass handed to me most of the time on bnet, even though I've been playing SC quite some on bnet a couple of years ago and A LOT at lans. Tried iccup 2 years ago or smth and didn't really have much chance.