Who switched from 4.7 to 5.5 after seeing the keynote?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrAkD, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Did you switch from 4.7 to 5.5 after seeing the keynote?

1. Yes. I was set on 4.7 but the extra features swayed me

81 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No. Its still too big sticking with 4.7.

104 vote(s)
    39.8%
  3. No. I have always wanted the 5.5!

67 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. The 5.5 still doesn't exist.

9 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I was all set to get the 4.7 because I have always thought the 5"+ smartphones are just too big and look ridiculous. Plus everyone predicted a month wait on the 5.5" and I am way too impatient for that. but since its coming out same time and the screen is 1080P im going to go for the plus and just hope I can adapt to using a bigger phone.

2. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Slowly raises hand :eek:

The extra battery life and OIS are the main things for me, still not sure though.

I also wonder if 'reachability' will really help handle the 5.5 one-handed (didn't see it on the live keynote since it was such a cluster****! :mad:)

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah I think apples battery chart was conservative. if the 5.5" really has a 2900mah battery it is going to last A LOT longer.

4. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I am kind of leaning towards the bigger one too... mainly because of the UI. I need to try it in person first, though.

5. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I kind of always wanted the 5.5, but the battery life got me set.

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Don't forget it's pushing a display that sucks a LOT more power....a 1080p screen is a battery drain.

7. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

this is true. but apple's charts have always been very conservative.

8. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I really wanted the 4.7 as my hands are pretty small - but that battery life is very attractive. I had to do the battery replacement with my 5 - which was terrible and so that big battery is really appealing. Now I am confused.

Does Apple usually have them in store as displays prior to release? If so, I definitely need to see them in person to decide.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I've wanted the 5.5 from the get go. That being said, even though it's better on paper, make sure you really want a phone that big.

10. darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

I'd love to get a 5.5", but it might just be too big. I'm gonna make a few cardboard mock-ups (now that we have the actual phone dimensions) and see how it fits various pockets.

Either way, 128GB BABY!!!

11. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Just did a cutout (a receipt is the perfect width) and held it up to my head. It's huge!

I'm 6 foot and I don't know how someone could use the 5.5 with one hand. I want it because of the extra features, but I don't know if it's too big or not.

12. Kendo macrumors 68000

Or you can play with a Galaxy Note in the AT&T store.

13. zone23 macrumors 68000

If its truly 6.5" tall that's 3/4" taller than my G3 which has a 5.5" screen. Thats gonna be pretty big. Not sure I can give up my 5.5" for a 4.7" but 6.5" is pretty long.

14. JSalig macrumors 6502

I think alot of people are going to underestimate the adjustment of going from a 4" device to a 5.5" device. It's not something you do on a whim just because a few specs are better. You do it because that's the size you want. It's a niche market for a reason. I would implore folks to check it out in-store first before wasting money on restocking fees.

15. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Yeah, but mostly because it isn't delayed. I'm ready to get rid of my galaxy now. I wouldn't have had much trouble going from 5.1 to 4.7. I have huge hands so I doubt I'll have any trouble going to 5.5 either. I'll take the extra battery life and sacrifice the extra memory I would have gotten. I mostly stream these days anyway.

16. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I was thinking the same thing! But with all the camping and stuff, how will I be able to try both phones before purchasing? The good news is, I can try out the phone for about two weeks and switch down to the 4.7 if I feel the 5.5 is too big.

17. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

Is the difference in ppi going to be noticeable?

18. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

It won't be released here in Czech Republic until november anyway, so I don't care if I wait few days more after it's sold out...

19. darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

Yeah, but that requires going into an AT&T store. Rather slit my wrist with the x-acto knife after making the cardboard mockup.

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've been swayed by the RDF. I was planning on 5.5" if it had extra features and was available shortly after anyway, so the fact the display has a higher PPI, has a better camera and a much bigger battery is great.

21. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

It looks nice, but I think it's too big. People who have not held a phone that big should try some various models out to get the feel for it, because if you've just used Apple devices, you will find a phone that big very staggering and hard to get used to.

But the battery life and resolution is pretty awesome, I'll give it that. It should also be fairly heavier than the 4.7 inch model, so keep that factor in mind, too.

I'm likely sticking to the 4.7, it hits a good middle ground for me.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

23. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Guess with this move Apple gives everyone what they want: Galaxy / Note lovers gets a HUGHE phone, Iphone lovers get a slightly bigger phone. I am set so far for the 4.7 since the Plus size is too big to be practical IMHO, unless you want to use it as an Ipad Mini replacement and not so much as a phone. :rolleyes:

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Part of what makes a larger 5.2in+ phone more or less usable will be the materials. Almost all reviewers of the HTC One M8 commented on the fact that it was slick to hold. Phones like the Note with their faux leather gave alot more grip. For those that put a case on all their phones, if you think 5.5 is large now, stick a otterbox on top of that and it's a chunky slab.

25. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Battery life on the iPhone 6 is fine and OIS isn't enough to sway me to a bigger phone when I have a DSLR for serious photos.

I'm sticking with the good ol' 6.