Who upgraded from 4 to Iphone 4's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zelaya, Oct 25, 2011.

1. zelaya macrumors 6502

I've been comptemplating the option on upgrading my iphone 4 to the
    new 4's but I'd like to get some feedback from someone who has come from the 4 to the new. I'm sure the new iPhone 5 won't come to our neighborhood till next Oct 2012. Do you guys really think it's worth it?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I do, but I also had an upgrade without using my own which is available around Feb 2012. If I didn't have an upgrade, I probably wouldn't have gotten the 4s.

3. gmillz22 macrumors regular

If you have the money to spend, or just like having the newest update, then go for it. That was my reasoning. I wanted the new "bells and whistles" of the 4S. I love Siri. Maybe it still has a novelty effect on me, but I use it a lot for reminders, alarms and the occasional web search. I also have noticed a tremendous improvement with download speeds. 6-7mbps as opposed to 2-3 with the iPhone 4. The 4S isn't an overwhelming experience by a long shot. But, I think it's a good enough update to hold me over until the iPhone 5 comes out.

4. zelaya thread starter macrumors 6502

We'll I've a line that's available now for upgrade or I can wait till
    Novermber 24th 2011 to use mine which I don't mind waiting since getting one right now is at least 2 weeks wait. The third option is selling my current iphone 4 in craiglist and buy another fron same source bu don't feel on paying 700.00 for 16gb on craiglist.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What do you use your phone for mainly? Gaming? Productivity/correspondence?

7. Pravius macrumors regular

I have been tossing the idea around in my head to get a new one. I just like having the newest of everything. I also spend about 2-3 hours on the road a day so having Siri with my bluetooth sync system will help out alot.

I find myself using my phone texting, music, etc in my car ALOT and I think Siri may actually help me not get in a car accident!

8. zelaya thread starter macrumors 6502

I use my iphone mainly for surfing,texting and listen to pandora or itunes while doing my workout so. If I pull the trigger I was also thinking on downgrading to 16gb instead of my current 32gb. Is there a for sale thread here?

Thanks guys for your quick feedback response.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4s isn't going to do anymore then the 4 you have. If you must have the latest, that's all you'll get with upgrading. Just adding iOS 5 to the 4 is a decent upgrade.

11. zelaya thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks....tried link you provided and it says I'm not authorised. Do you have to pay a fee for this. I'm not new to the forum but don't post a lot.

12. djransom, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Same situation I had. Placed my order with Apple Saturday morning and I should have it in a couple of weeks. I'm also giving my iPhone 4 to my wife.

13. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    The camera is better, Suri is hit or miss at this point, don't really notice a speed bump - taking mine back and waiting for iPhone 5.....

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Camera and Siri made it worthwhile for me.

I use Siri a lot.

If I weren't in a situation though where I could've sold my iPhone 4 32GB for almost double and got the 16GB 4S for $199 I would've just stuck with it. Was a win win for me.

15. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Funny, I did the same as well. My wife is loving her "new" iPhone 4. :D

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I did, but my wife has been wanting an iPhone so moving my iPhone 4 to her was a factor in the decision. Also her line is upgrade eligible in 2012 so if I want the next iPhone then I can use her upgrade at that time.

I am looking forward to the enhancements of the 4S (not arrived yet, just ordered on Saturday) - but I might have opted not do do it if I were on a single plan.

17. dotme macrumors 6502a

Also upgraded from 4 to 4S - mostly for Siri, but happily I'm also noticing better response/speed and that great camera.

Family plan - We leapfrog contracts (2 up this year, 2 up next, etc) so the parents get the new gear each year at upgrade prices, and the kids get the hand-me-downs.

18. forcetactic macrumors 6502

To OP: iPhone 4 is fast enough for everyday needs. 4S does feel snappier for me but the speed difference is not that noticeable/useful. The speed jump from 3G to 3GS was noticeably faster. Siri does not seem too practical (at least for me) and it has been already ported to i4. Camera upgrade is nice, but again not necessary. 4 and 4S even look pretty much identical with the exception of bands + sim slot. I would save your upgrade for the new generation if you already have an i4 since you can upgrade only once every 2 years. If you could upgrade once a year, that's a different story :)

19. zelaya thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll continue marinating the option on upgrading to the 4's but I will need to wait till the end of November because is the only line I have grandfather unlimited data plan.

20. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

If you're on AT&T, their reps can move your upgrade date. Last I checked they can only move it up 30 days.

21. andross77 macrumors regular

I upgraded mainly because i love phones (and have chosen ios over android/webos/windows/blackberry/etc) and because i game a lot on the phone. The upgraded gpu is AWESOME for all the 3d games i play.

BUT, i will say that it would be totally worth it even if not for the GPU because of the antenna. I seriously have owned over 30 phones and this one has the best antenna/reception of any by a MILE!. As i state in another thread, i now get great reception in my companies elevator and it never drops like it always has before. All calls have been crystal clear.

That alone makes it worth it for me as i still see phones as a phone first (gaming device second hehe :)

Another reason the upgrade is worth it is the added space. I went from a 16gb ip4 to a 64gb ip4s and now i can put everything on there. Before i had to limit my apps and it would fill the available 13gb. Now i have 20gb of apps (mostly 3d games), 2gb of music and plenty of space for pictures/movies/more apps. I will eventually get my entire 8-10gb music collection on there.

Anyways, yes the upgrade is worth it. Especially since in the IOS ecosystem you know you won't have to upgrade for another 12 months. Unlike android, where a better phone WILL come out 1-2 months after you buy yours. :eek:

22. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I upgraded because of three reasons:

1) I wanted Siri. I drive lot (3hrs a day) and i gatta say it comes in just as handy as I hoped it would. Love it.

2) I could sell my 32G for $200 and cover the cost of the 16g i wanted. I didn't need the space so it made sense to spend a little less. I broke even and still have 8g's of free space left.

3) I get an upgrade every 12 months due to my account spending: 3 lines, 2 unlimited iphone plans and unlimited texting we spend a lot every month. I know i'll be able to upgrade next year when the new one is out. I may have to wait a few months "IF" it comes out in June but if they keep the current schedule, I'll be good.

Thats it...

23. andyx3x macrumors 65816

24. lthompson macrumors member

I was wondering how you get to upgrade every year. We have been with AT&T for umpteen years, have four lines, unlimited text, three iphones, (one with unlimited, one with 200mb and the other with 2gb.) The fourth phone has no data plan. Would it be wise of me to contact AT&T and see if it would be possible to upgrade every year?

25. fresh801 macrumors newbie

fresh801