Who uses a Macbook as their only computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ataboc, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ataboc macrumors 6502

I bought by 2.2 SR macbook in November. After learning OSX i'm really happy with it. I put 4 gigs and a 320 gig HD. OSX likes 4 gigs! My wife also liked it so i bought her a refurb in Feburary.

I'm in the Navy and on deployment. When I return in October, I'm planning to give our desktop PC to our inlaws to replace their 6 year old relic. I want to buy a 24" monitor and use my Macbook as my primary computer. I don't do too many heavy tasks. Mostly websurfing and managing a big music and picture library. Light room is the only program that makes the macbook's fan turn on. I plan to use a usb hub so i can use two external HDs and a keyboard and mouse.

I'm just wondering if anyone else runs a setup like this, basically a portable mac mini. Does anyone miss having a PC ever? I have VMware with XP so if i ever need windows there i go!

So convince me to give away my PC!

2. klb028 macrumors 6502

I gave up my PC last summer when I switched. I use my MacBook has my only computer now. I don't have it connected to a monitor, use a wireless keyboard, etc... just the laptop itself! No complaints and haven't looked back once. :)

3. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I used a MB as my first Mac in a while, after 2 months, sold off my 2 Dells.

Few months later starting acquiring Macs ...

4. happylittlemac macrumors member

I use my MacBook 1.83Ghz I got over a year ago as my main system, it does video editing and rendering much faster than my PC. It's very versatile I just upgraded it with a new HD to 250Gb, 2Gb RAM and Leopard. And it's running great, put the old 60Gb drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure as a back up for my iTunes and movies. It's a great laptop.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I do. I've always been a one-computer guy, so as soon as I get a new one, I sell or give away the old one.

Since December, my Macbook has been my only computer. I installed Parallels last month, but it's more or less for novelty purposes.

Anyway, I hope to continue using it as my only computer for several years. If it doesn't break (and if I don't either), I might keep it for some time.

6. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I use my MacBook for everything. I switched last December, and haven't used Windows since then.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I too gave up with PC's in late November and got a MacBook (specs are in my sig), it was the best decision that I have made. I do not see myself ever going back.

8. ataboc thread starter macrumors 6502

looks like the inlaws are getting a (new to them) dell C2D 2.33 desktop

9. GRN99EX macrumors member

I have a 2.2 GHZ, 4 GB RAM MacBook as my personal computer, and a 2.5 GHZ/4GB RAM/15" MBP as my work computer. The only windoze machine in my house is my old 17" Toshiba Satellite, which my 7 year old uses.

10. tdevers macrumors regular

My Black 2.2 goes with me everywhere. Bought it at the end of December and haven't stopped using it since.

Sold a Compaq notebook shortly after purchasing the MacBook and still have a home built desktop that i use occasionally.

11. kabunaru Guest

I have a Core Duo MacBook that was my main machine for two years. Now, I got an iMac too and I split my time between the MacBook and the iMac. I like to use both. :)

12. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

13. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I use my MacBook as my only computer and I'm getting along with no problems. :cool:

14. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

Macbook as main computer and Loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. barnettebw macrumors newbie

I got my 2.16 MacBook back in October and I use it for everything. I barely touch our home PC (for good reasons since it's a relic). I'm actually planning on getting a display as well, though I might settle for a 22 inch screen to save about $200, with which I may upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive.

16. GuyOnTheCouch22 macrumors member

My only 2 computers are my new Macbook i bought last week and my old Rev A MacBook Pro that I'm about to sell off. Just give me a wireless mighty mouse and an external hard drive and thats all i need.

17. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I have been using my MB exclusively since January. I put XP on so I could use Money.

I, too, have upgraded the RAM and HD, just like yours.

I still have a 1yr old Vista Toshiba laptop that I should just sell...

18. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i too upgraded my hd and maxed out the ram and have been using my macbook as my only computer since march last year

19. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I have 2 Windows PCs (mid 2005) and 1 Windows notebook (2001), 1 Linux notebook (2001) and a MacBook. I use the MacBook as my main computer. I rarely go onto one of the Windows computer. That being said, I would not rely on having only one computer in the house. My current MacBook was a replacement (AppleCare). I had so much problem with the first one (May 2006). Invertor replaced twice, random shutdown, LCD replaced once, and battery replaced once. I had to fight for a replacement.

The first replacement had a bad trackpad, the second replacement had a bad keyboard. The third replacement works. I was without a working MacBook for a month, and during that time, I had to rely on my Windows/Linux computers. They may be pretty old, but they have never been sent for repairs unlike the expensive MacBook LOL.

20. mosx macrumors 65816

I got my first MacBook in March of '07.

I used it as my primary computer for awhile until the optical drive went bad. I had to send it in for repair and was without it for 3 weeks due to Flextronics botching the repair each time. Then Apple replaced it at the beginning of September. 2.16GHz, upgraded to 2.5GB of RAM and thats it. Has the SuperDrive too.

But I had gotten an HP with a dedicated GPU.

Now I rarely use my Mac for anything. I've honestly considered selling it. The price I paid for the lack of hardware just gets to me too much.

21. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Me! Got my MacBook when the updated to Santa Rosa in November 2007. After upgrading it to 4GB of RAM the following week, it's been my main computer ever since.

22. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I know that feeling. What made me more mad in my case was that the two brand new MacBooks were defective. Things like that make you wonder about QA.:confused:

23. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah i use it as my only computer. When im at home (atleast on my desk) this is usually the case:
    MacBook in Desktop mode with Acer 20" LCD
    Sony Vaio Speakers hooked up
    Logitech USB connected for wireless mouse
    4-Port travel USB hub
    and obviously the MagSafe

I love it..never fails me.

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

25. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

macbook is my only computer at home...i run everything flawlessly from Word to Photoshop to Quark to Aperture, iPhoto and anything else I can throw at it. I have mine maxed with 4gb ram and I see no sluggishness. Great laptop!