Who uses Adium?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Quillz, Jul 21, 2007.

?

Do you use Adium?

1. Yes, I use it.

151 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. No, I use something else.

24 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I use Adium myself, I'm just curious who uses it as opposed to other instant messenger programs.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you read just about any thread here on instant messaging i'd say that about 80% of the users here who use im, use Adium.

that includes me.

4. Quillz thread starter macrumors 65816

Quillz

True, but I'm always interested in the other programs people use, I dunno, I just like seeing all the available options. If for some reason this thread is excessively stupid, just delete it, I guess.

5. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I use it. I still wish that they had Web cam support and "... is listening to "this by that."" I know there's a way to make it so it shows what iTunes song your playing with some code, but i want it to look like it does for people using MSN.
    The iTunes thing does work for AIM, but not MSN. Hopefully the next major release that it, once it does, then Adium will be perfect.

6. Vuzie macrumors regular

Vuzie

Depends... Adium's nice to have all my chat clients open at once.... but I'll often videochat using my iChat...

7. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

8. GMacDaddyTPO macrumors newbie

I don't actually.

I've only ever used AIM on my windows machines, so iChat is everything and more than I ever need.

Plus video chat is awesome.:p

9. rjames86 macrumors member

You can show who you're listening to. Its in your status options. Do you not have the newest Adium?

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes it's there, but it doesn't allow you to show it as it does in MSN in Windows.
    It only works with AIM in that way as someone just mentioned.

You can have it display what you're listening to as your name for MSN, and that's about it.

I'd welcome being able to use custom emoticons as well as just view them in the next release as well.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the issue is that Windows Live has several different kinds of status messages -- the alias, the display name, the away / available setting, and then at least one or two more. I think Adium supports some, but not all of these. I think what happened, although I'm not sure, is that after people were changing their alias so no one knew who the frack was on their buddy list anymore, they added the display names so that people could have yet another thing to change... it's totally out of hand, but it's the way Windows Live works.

12. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

It won't be in 1.1, they're still waiting for Pidgin to merge MSNP13/14 support into the trunk. Someone did put together an unofficial test build that supports Personal Messages over on Cocoaforge, but it's quite buggy as far as I know.

Personally, I leave Adium running in the background, and switch over to Mercury Messenger if I anticipate that I'll be sending / receiving messages.

13. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

iChat + Chax does it for me. I have my MSN stuff comin through Jabber so I really dont have any need for adium, except having all my buddies on one list and customization. But I really like iChat cause of its UI, its more polished that adium, i never could get that into adium. Ironically, I use skype to video chat so the only reason I use iChat instead of adium is for the UI.

I have the same problem with all none-factory apps like firefox and camino.

Edit: Im gonna give it another try for a couple days, hell if 80% of the people are using it, it must be better.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i use it, its great, only time i use ichat is for video which i only used about twice...

15. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I use Adium for all instant messaging purposes, and then Skype for video and audio chatting.

16. Muzzway macrumors regular

That looks about right according to the results...

I use it myself as well.

17. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

i use it and love it. the customization is really a wonderful treat, especially compared to most IM clients which view customization as simply being able to switch the color of the skins to your favorite band.

18. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

I use it all the time. I simply wish it had yahoo chat room support and room listings.

19. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I actually don't either, not anymore anyway. iChat is much more enjoyable and streamlined, in my opinion. I also make frequent use of it's video and audio capabilities, two things Adium doesn't provide functionality for. I've found running iChat and Messenger to be more powerful than running Adium alone.

iChat + Chax = <3

20. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Not only do I use it but I have gotten friends to switch to it.

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Adium FTW! Thankfully today's update has fixed the irritating fact that I couldn't have both translucent message windows and Safari 3 beta :)

22. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I tried Adium- I like it, but I found myself going back to iChat. All I use are AIM and Google Talk, and both work great on iChat. I like the customization of Adium, but I found myself going back to and liking the look of iChat more.

23. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I really like using Adium, but it does not support off line messages from MSN clients pidgen was working on an update for this scheduled to be releases on August 31st, but they are behind.

I posted this in another thread.

EDIT: So I use aMSN for now, but it is fickle and buggy.

24. Diaresi macrumors regular

Being in the UK I only use MSN (and Skype!), so for me everything else in Adium isn't important. Microsoft Messenger does MSN better than Adium anyway so i'll stay with that until (if ever) anything better comes along.

IMO libpurple sucks for anything other than AIM (and maybe Jabber) and building Adium on it might make for easier coding, but it's the one thing that is seriously slowing development on an otherwise good looking app.

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

How?