Who uses spotlight search?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Oct 3, 2016.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

And what for? I always found it to be cluttered and annoying but I'm told I'm missing out on a lot of value added.

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I never use spotlight search. It does serve as a decent shortcut for recent applications you opened, versus having to page through to find the application used previously.

3. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I never used it even once on my iPhone(s), completely useless for me - on my Mac that's a different story.

4. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I've used it a few times. I would probably use it more but I forget about it. Siri is kind of replacing it.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I use it for opening apps(by searching there name or recent list), and unit conversion/calculator mainly. Sometimes I'll use it to search for things in maps but I usually just open maps for that

6. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

I spotlight search every app that isn't on the first screen. I gave up organising my apps and find this super quick

7. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

If someone else hands me their phone, I exclusively use it to find any app immediately. Everyone organizes (hides?) their apps in unique and very complex ways.

I also use it occasionally to search for information in texts and emails and that same time. For example, searching Craigslist dealings where some people text and some email. Like "did they text or email me that address?" I usually am successful in searching this way. It's kind of a unique situation but I think its helpful.

8. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

I haven't taken the time to learn about it. Looks like a good idea but can I add or remove types of results? Rearrange them?

9. auero macrumors 65816

I use it to launch every app. It find it easier than digging through folders and remembering what page something is on.

10. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Nope. I don't even know what it is! I only have 1 screen full of apps.

11. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I use it all the time. Wish it were more reliable when dropping it down in other apps that aren't the home screen. I always end up with the notifications screen instead of spotlight like I wanted to go to another app.

12. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

13. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Very useful for apps as mentioned above and content you are looking for emails or texts.

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I use it every time I use someone else's phone because everyone I know can't seem to organize any of their apps and it's the only way I can ever find anything.

15. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

I use it often, usually to launch an app that isn't on my home screen or to just find out the name of a folder that I stored the app in since that information appears as well.

16. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

I use it daily, very useful and time saving feature

17. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

On iOS 10 its at the top of the notification screen.

18. esteli macrumors member

esteli

its usefull to me,i have lots of apps ,its the way to looking for the app you dont remember whether you still have it or not

19. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I'm in wireless sales and I use it everyday when I'm working with someone's iPhone. It helps me mainly find things like the settings very quickly without having to search through someone's home screens and folders.

20. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Which is an extra tap... If you pull down a certain way it takes you right into search from any app. This "trigger" (pulling down until haptic then releasing) is a bit too finicky and I sometimes trigger it othertimes not. Hopefully they fix it in later software versions to be more accommodating.

21. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This. I use it ALOT on my wife's phone, my sons iPad and my daughter's iPod.

I use it on my iPhone a lot as well. It's great for finding people's contact info quickly and searching for info when you're not quite sure where it is, like you said. It's also great for quickly referencing notes taken in most notes apps (OneNote, EverNote and the like)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2016 ---
    Yes. Settings>Spotlight Search.

22. geta macrumors 6502a

I wish there was a way to disable it completely, its really annoying.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

You don't have to use it.

24. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I actually use it quite often. I have a lot of apps on my phone and while I'm mostly organized with them, sometimes it's just easier to pull down Spotlight and type in the first few characters of the app's name and poof, there is is. I also use it for contact searching and I use it several times per day for web searches.

It's convenient for me. Though I don't use it for things like weather or movie times.

25. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Virtually never. But I have my apps extremely well organized.