iPad Pro Who uses the Apple Pencil primarily for navigation?

Do you use your Apple Pencil for Navigation?

• Total voters

masotime

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Context: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/22/ios-9-3-apple-pencil-intentional-feature-removal/

It should be noted that tapping should not be disabled by the supposed update to iOS 9.3, but scrolling is almost certainly disabled.

I figured a poll with actual numbers would be interesting. There's clearly a considerable number of users who use it for purposes of navigation, but exactly how much / how many percent?

Post replies indicating your specific use for Pencil Navigation - I figure it should be educational to see how precision navigation using the Pencil is a powerful use case for the Apple Pencil.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I haven't yet found a situation where navigating with the Pencil is more precise than using the finger, so I rarely do it. It may seem we're more precise but we're not. The UI targets are designed for the finger, so they are big and the Pencil brings no advantage.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
No, I didn't know it could even do that until I saw the thread about 9.3 disabling it... I personally don't find it useful, but I can see people using it being disappointed.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think the concern is that since I am already holding the Apple Pencil for drawing on my iPad Pro, I may as well just use it to navigate the rest of the interface, rather than having to put the pencil down just so I can use my fingers.

It just makes no sense to arbitrarily limit the function of the pencil this way, especially when the functionally was already present right from the get go. Is Apple afraid that developers might see this as an opportunity to design an app's UI for the precision of a stylus, which could in turn make it more cumbersome to operate with your fingers?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Given what Apple is doing with iOS, it looks like your ability to use the pencil for navigation will be short lived. I'm rather bummed out over this, and I'm re-considering my decision to get an IPP.

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
Is the restriction of navigation for Apple Pencil limited to just the Apple Pencil (and not other styluses)? If it is just the Apple Pencil it may affect my purchase decision...

Fuchal

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2003
I prefer this... it means the screen won't pick up stray marks from my finger... and my pencil won't accidentally hit buttons or scroll the screen. I could see this being a setting, but the fact it's not makes me wonder if there's a bigger reason for excluding it.

sjleworthy

macrumors 65832
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Do other styluses provide a great amount of control/granularity?

The last time I use a stylus with an iPad it was like a blunt thumb - not very good.
thats the big question. sracer gives good indication some of the more costly stylus do. but not up to Pencil's degree of course.

This is it. personally i do less art and smart related work with the Pencil as i thought i initially might. i use mine, i would say, for 100% navigation and handwriting throughout the day.
At the moment, i wont be upgrading as the upgrade isnt grabbing me enough to loose general scrolling abilities.

If/when i do upgrade and i loose general Pencil nav, i'll spend 75 bucks or so on a decent fine tipped regular stylus. will this satisfy? thats the 100$$$ question.

but no, i wont be using the 'blunt thumb' stylus that cost pence whatever. i'd prefer to use my own physical 'blunt thumb'

Apple could of course solve all these issues by having Pencil nav toggled ON/OFF. this would make EVERYBODY happy. i have a sneaky feeling nav will be included in 9.3

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
So now you can use two stylus. The Apple Pencil when you need to write or draw, then put it down, and pick up a cheap rubber tipped stylus to navigate and keep your screen clear of finger prints. BRILLIANT. Maybe Apple will come out with a $49 iNavigator Pencil as a suppliment to the Apple Pencil.

Here is a great idea for a aftermarket product: A new cap for the back of the Apple Pencil with a rubber tip that can be used for navigation once the Pencil no longer works.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
thats the big question. sracer gives good indication some of the more costly stylus do. but not up to Pencil's degree of course.
That's some good news I guess.

So now you can use two stylus.
I don't think that's really feasible and I for one won't be doing that. I have trouble keeping track of my SP3's stylus, I can't imagine trying NOT to lose two styluses.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
Depends on what I'm doing. If the pencil is already in my hand, then I use it to navigate. If I'm web browsing or playing a game, then ill use my fingers.

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
That's some good news I guess.

I don't think that's really feasible and I for one won't be doing that. I have trouble keeping track of my SP3's stylus, I can't imagine trying NOT to lose two styluses.
I was being sarcastic about using two stylus. It's absurd that Apple would remove the ability of the the pencil to function at the basic level that a cheap rubber tipped stylus can function at. It's sinful.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I was being sarcastic about using two stylus. It's absurd that Apple would remove the ability of the the pencil to function at the basic level that a cheap rubber tipped stylus can function at. It's sinful.
Sorry, I guess my sarcasm sensor is not calibrated ;)

it's Apple's arrogance. pure and simple.
I'm hoping its not that, but we've been down this road where Apple dictates something to the detriment of the consumer.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm living in hope once they release they are getting bad press they will switch it back. As you can bet media will attack them with this when it's out officially.

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
Only time I use my pencil for navigation is when I don't want to smudge my screen.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
I find the pencil a poor navigation tool. In procreate, it misses allot of inputs. Not a big deal to me to just use hands, that works well. I think with the current iPad , there is no point in pencil for navigation. Touch just works really well, and the software is so simple precision stylus input like the win tabs use for navigation is pointless.

If it gets more complex software it might be needed. But I don't think apple will do that. It's not that type if device.

Reactions: Beavix

lindafus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
As an artist, using the iPad Pro or before this, my iPad Air 2 (pencil 53), I tend to NOT put my fingers on the screen at all. Smudges become annoying distractions when doing detail work. I really do not want to keep wiping the screen off after I have to put the Pencil down and use my fingers for navigation. There are legitimate reasons why navigation with the Pencil or any stylus is important. :rolleyes:

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
yeah, it does smudge allot. I would prefer stylus input, but it does not work well when I try it in the app I use for art.

I put a matte screen protector and draw with a glove. That solved the smudge issue and poor palm rejection issues I was having. Plus the texture feels great. Much more natural.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
I am not sure how you can say this... It works far better than a finger especially on websites with small buttons.

I use my pencil 99% for navigation, 1% for note taking (writing).

Well, I use my iPad mostly for painting. It misses navigation inputs in procreate with pencil. I asked the app Devs why, they said apple wants iOS to be touch only for navigation. Pencil is only for writing drawing. Sounds like the next iOS update will force hand only navigation on us. I Never have had issues surfing the web with my hands.

I'm on your side though. My cintiq companion 2 can use the stylus for navigation of the web or software. I prefer that mixed with the touch inputs. Very intuitive. I like choice, not being forced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.