Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use your Apple Pencil for Navigation?

• Total voters

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
I find the pencil a poor navigation tool. In procreate, it misses allot of inputs. Not a big deal to me to just use hands, that works well. I think with the current iPad , there is no point in pencil for navigation. Touch just works really well, and the software is so simple precision stylus input like the win tabs use for navigation is pointless.

If it gets more complex software it might be needed. But I don't think apple will do that. It's not that type if device.

Kind of off topic, but these navigation issues in Procreate were introduced in the same update that fixed the "blobs" at the start of lines. Everything that's broken now worked perfectly before that version, and the developers refuse to look into it "because Apple has stated that the Pencil is not intended for navigation." In other words they're testing against an iOS version in which the Pencil can only tap buttons, so they don't care that they've broken their UI such that it always treats pencil taps as swipes (this is why it's constantly missing taps when you're using 9.2.x).

*edit: Oh, you literally posted about this right before my reply, oops

Reactions: DaniJoy

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
Kind of off topic, but these navigation issues in Procreate were introduced in the same update that fixed the "blobs" at the start of lines. Everything that's broken now worked perfectly before that version, and the developers refuse to look into it "because Apple has stated that the Pencil is not intended for navigation." In other words they're testing against an iOS version in which the Pencil can only tap buttons, so they don't care that they've broken their UI such that it always treats pencil taps as swipes (this is why it's constantly missing taps when you're using 9.2.x).

*edit: Oh, you literally posted about this right before my reply, oops

interesting i didnt know that!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
yes indeed and i think i've seen quite a few say they wouldn't buy the pencil if it was missing.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
When taking notes I find myself carrying on using it for navigation where possible, probably due to subconscious laziness to avoid putting something down and picking it up again. I don't specifically seek out the pencil to use for navigation if I haven't already been using it.

Crambie

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
I don't pick up the pencil just to navigate but if I'm using it then I will often use it for navigation too. But will have more of a play and see if it does a better job at selecting text, it's sometimes very hit and miss especially copying text from a web page.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I was interesting watching the reaction of a lot of people when it was thought navigation would be removed. The usual defence of Apple's decision to restrict, or on this case remove a feature was amusing.

"Apple never intended the pencil to be used for navigation", "I'm glad its gone", "I understand why they removed it", "It's only for drawing" and the like. Now of course, those folks are silent. Personally, I'll never understand why people object to useful and OPTIONAL to use features like this. Same thing happening over in the mouse support debate.

Well, apparently Apple DOES intend the pencil to be used for navigation and not just for drawing, as a stylus or whatever you want to call it. I'm glad they've confirmed this.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjleworthy

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I was interesting watching the reaction of a lot of people when it was thought navigation would be removed. The usual defence of Apple's decision to restrict a feature was amusing.

"Apple never intended the pencil to be used for navigation", "I'm glad its gone", "I understand why they removed it" and the like. Now of course, those folks are silent. Personally, I'll never understand why people object to useful and OPTIONAL to use features like this. Same thing happening over in the mouse support debate.

Well, apparently Apple DOES intend the pencil to be used for navigation and not just for drawing, as a stylus or whatever you want to call it. I'm glad they've confirmed this.

agreed. some people in here are so 'know it all', (so they think ;) ).

but yes, i've personally no objection to anything, as long as it's OPTIONAL (ie, on/off) so all parties are kept happy. why would anyone possibly object to that?

Reactions: seadragon

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
"Apple never intended the pencil to be used for navigation",
In all honesty I didn't think they intended to have this be used for navigation and it was an oversight that they corrected in the beta. Personally, I think its the wrong move by them and I'm not making excuses but I can see this being an unintended feature that fits outside of their thinking

Reactions: Beavix

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
In all honesty I didn't think they intended to have this be used for navigation and it was an oversight that they corrected in the beta. Personally, I think its the wrong move by them and I'm not making excuses but I can see this being an unintended feature that fits outside of their thinking

Well, I suppose we'll never really know what their true intentions were in the design meetings. I just don't understand all of the objection to navigating with the pencil. To me, it's a natural function to offer.

I could understand the objection if they removed finger navigation and forced navigation using the pencil alone. But, this is not the case and is completely optional to use.

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
Well, I use my iPad mostly for painting. It misses navigation inputs in procreate with pencil. I asked the app Devs why, they said apple wants iOS to be touch only for navigation. Pencil is only for writing drawing. Sounds like the next iOS update will force hand only navigation on us. I Never have had issues surfing the web with my hands.

I'm on your side though. My cintiq companion 2 can use the stylus for navigation of the web or software. I prefer that mixed with the touch inputs. Very intuitive. I like choice, not being forced.

I have noticed the issue with Procreate too, but that seems to be the only App that the pencil has trouble with. It is a distraction to need to switch to you finger to select a color or brush type, when you have the pencil in your hand already. Other than Procreate, I have not had issues where the pencil would not select something and need to switch to a finger. I'm thinking its more an issue with Procreate, maybe with palm rejection.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well, I suppose we'll never really know what their true intentions were in the design meetings. I just don't understand all of the objection to navigating with the pencil. To me, it's a natural function to offer.

I could understand the objection if they removed finger navigation and forced navigation using the pencil alone. But, this is not the case and is completely optional to use.
End of the day it's all about choice and people won't want to always use it just for notes, drawings.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I was interesting watching the reaction of a lot of people when it was thought navigation would be removed. The usual defence of Apple's decision to restrict, or on this case remove a feature was amusing.

"Apple never intended the pencil to be used for navigation", "I'm glad its gone", "I understand why they removed it", "It's only for drawing" and the like. Now of course, those folks are silent.

Some people are whiners. Others adapt and move on.

Personally I couldn't care less about this issue because I don't use the Pencil for navigation. I just tried to help some whiners understand it's not the end of the world if Apple's going to remove that feature. But whiners gonna whine. :p

Anyway, I hope everybody is happy now.

KaliPaige

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2016
iPad Pro.

Pro. Pro. Pro.

Now with one less feature than the Surface Pro 4, which by the way is kind enough to throw in the pen with the device. As much as I love Apple, if you're going to call something a pro machine you need to cater to people's workflows as much as possible. Professionals prefer stable products that they can adapt to their workflow even as the software grows and develops. This is going to hurt the iPad Pro's "professional" reputation in the long run... "what will Apple take away next?", they'll wonder.

We're already seeing similar fears with the headphone jack on the iPhone 7/7+ for goodness sake. At the end of the day, this should have been called the iPad Plus if they were just going to steal features later on.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
iPad Pro.

Pro. Pro. Pro.

Now with one less feature than the Surface Pro 4, which by the way is kind enough to throw in the pen with the device. As much as I love Apple, if you're going to call something a pro machine you need to cater to people's workflows as much as possible. Professionals prefer stable products that they can adapt to their workflow even as the software grows and develops. This is going to hurt the iPad Pro's "professional" reputation in the long run... "what will Apple take away next?", they'll wonder.

We're already seeing similar fears with the headphone jack on the iPhone 7/7+ for goodness sake. At the end of the day, this should have been called the iPad Plus if they were just going to steal features later on.

Think you missed that they are not removing the function...it was turned off in the beta, but will be in the release.

KaliPaige

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2016
Think you missed that they are not removing the function...it was turned off in the beta, but will be in the release.

But can anyone confirm that for sure? Apple's been known to remove things that don't follow their grand vision of the future and do things that fall in line with it... some of which are just a logical if sometimes inconvenient progression like optical drives in the Mac lineup, or shipping the Macbook with only one USB-C port, or potentially removing the headphone jack in this year's coming iPhones.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
But can anyone confirm that for sure? Apple's been known to remove things that don't follow their grand vision of the future and do things that fall in line with it... some of which are just a logical if sometimes inconvenient progression like optical drives in the Mac lineup, or shipping the Macbook with only one USB-C port, or potentially removing the headphone jack in this year's coming iPhones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/23/apple-pencil-navigation-returning-ios-9-3/

Reactions: KaliPaige

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

The only complication I can think of with allowing Pencil to be used for navigation is in drawing apps. If you get used to using Pencil to scroll, then you might attempt to do the same in a drawing app, where of course, that'll draw a line instead of scrolling. Come to think of it, this could apply even to apps like Word. How does the app know whether you want to scroll, or draw a line in your document?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.