Who uses their 15" as a desktop replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macDonalds, Mar 18, 2009.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I'm talking: no monitor, no external keyboard (mouse qualifies for this thread)

I do!

I don't know what it is exactly. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I just love to use the Macbook Pro AS-IS. Anyone else?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I tried it.. but while I COULD manage it the screen was too damn small.

I like to lay back on a chair not scrounged up close to the 15 inch's puny monitor to be able to read.

So I bought a 24" LED ACD.. perfect!!

But I ended up selling the 15" because I didnt need a laptop as I'm always glued to my desk, so I got a mini for now and considering a Nehalem Mac Pro very soon.

3. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I used my 15" Powerbook G4 as my desktop replacement for 1.5 years, then sold that and bought a 15" Macbook Pro and used that as my desktop replacement for 2 years.

I got a 24" iMac a little over a year ago, so my Macbook Pro has been just for on the road.

5. appleguy12 macrumors newbie

I bring mine to class everyday and when I am at home, I plug it into an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse to use as a desktop replacement.

edit: misread the part where you said no external monitor or keyboard lol. in that case, i think the screen on the 15" mbp is a bit too small to use a desktop replacement, especially for extended periods of time.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

While I have the 17" UMBP it is my only computer really. I have a Windows desktop but it has been powered off for nearly 8 months. I think they wife plays solitaire on it now and then but for me this is my only computer. I do find I enjoy using the trackpad and gestures more so then a mouse. I do have a setup to hook it to a 24" ACD, keyboard, mouse etc.. but I probably spend 80% of my time in the house NOT connected to the desk. I use it in other rooms, outside in a chair etc... did I mention I love the trackpad :p haha. The 17" screen serves the purpose for most of my general use and even to watch video's or stream Hulu, Netflix etc..

Best overall computer I've ever owned. So I would have to say "yes" my MBP did replace my desktop and the majority of the time I use it just as it is.

7. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I kinda mix it up. At home I use it with just a BT mouse, nothing else. But at work I've got it connected to a Logitech trackball, MS natural keyboard, and 24" HP LCD, running the 24" and 15" as a dual desktop.

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've got nothing to replace, I've only owned laptops...

I've tried attaching a secondary monitor, but didn't like having to turn my head, so I returned it. I like the trackpad just fine. The size is a nearly perfect balance of screen size and portability, my previous 15inch laptop was too thick and heavy.

9. Manwithnoname macrumors newbie

I've only just got mine, but yes, I'm using as a desktop computer.

I don't see a problem with the screen size...didn't they all used to be this small!? Turn off the lights and put on CSS and it's cool.

I also have watched some movies, it's fine, just don't think about what other things could be like and it's OK!

I did want an iMac, but then I thought I will need a bit of portability at some point, not much, just in case. In the future I can see myself getting a decent monitor, the only thing that put me off doing that was how it would all look in comparison to an iMac (sexy). But thinking about it, the ACD, wireless keyboard and mouse on a desk would look even better, all I add at the time of use is the MBP, which would be folded up to one side.

10. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have not owned a desktop since '99. The 15" MBP goes on location and around the studio with ease. Yes, it lacks a little horsepower compared to the Mac Pro and real estate like the 30" ACD but I may add an external display sometime in the future. I realize the display is not the best to edit images on but I don't have a large budget to work with, yet.

11. glmonte macrumors newbie

12. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I do! I wouldn't mind a little more space though. But 15" is good enough.

13. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I do (well kinda) I do have a external monitor of my old desktop (19" almost square 4:3 ones) and keyboard and mouse, in my defense I am using a apple keyboard which is exacly the same as the MBP buillt in (e.g. has no number pad) and I do not have any other computer around (at least that I use)

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've been using first a PB and now a MBP as my sole computer since June 2004. The only external devices I ever use are hard drives. I have a Radtech BT-500 mouse, but I use it very sparingly, especially with the glasspad on the MBP.
    I can't ever see buying a proper desktop again, for any reason.

15. Keleko macrumors 68000

I couldn't use a laptop as a desktop replacement without an external monitor and keyboard. Laptop screens are just too small for me alone. I need a numeric keypad sometimes, too, so a real keyboard with one is required.

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I used to. But then I found out that the screen is too close and I have no space on my table for actual work (too lazy to move my machine around :p) So I moved it a bit back, got a mouse, keyboard and monitor and I couldn't have been happier!
    Most of the time I use my monitor for my PS3 anyway, so it's usually the MBP screen that I use :p

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've used mine as a desktop replacement for 3 years.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've never used an external LCD regularly, and I've only owned laptops.

I only used a calibrated external LCD when I was editing photos. For everything else, I just use the laptop's screen.

19. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I'm using mine as is atm.

Except i do have an apple keyboard with numpad and wireless mighty mouse.

When i need extra real-estate I hook it up to a 22" external.

20. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

During the summer I do when I'm mostly at my mom's house. The rest the time I don't. It's hard to use a 15" everyday, IMO.
    I have a 2.8gHz Dell box with dual 20" displays. :p

21. emt1 macrumors 65816

The only computer I own is a 15" MBP. No mouse, no monitor, no external keyboard. It's all I need.

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

while i do have a 24" ACD i would be perfectly happy using it with out one. the mouse and keyboard are an essential for me tho.

23. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

MacBook since 2007.
    MacBook Pro since Nov 2008.

No more Desktops.

If you want a Big Screen -> Video out cable interface -> 40"LCD TV

You go the :apple: store and see all those beatiful big screens and makes you want to have one, nothing prevents you from having them but your budget.

24. golfhero macrumors member

I travel a lot and use mine on the road for extended periods of time (5+ hours) without external monitor or keyboard - definitely usable as a desktop replacement for me. Keyboard and screen and both great.

I do connect it to an external monitor and bluetooth keyboard when at the office.