Who wants swype?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Dec 15, 2010.

?

Do you want Swype?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I think the swype keyboard is pretty awesome, and even tho I love the proprietary keyboard that apple has given, I think it would be nice to use swype from time to time for long messages. It is SO much faster. Anyone else?

2. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

3. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It held the fastest messaging time ever at that stupid texting world championships or whatever. And even if you don't want it, it would still be nice to have the option for the people that do.

4. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

5. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Just gotta get used to it. I hated the iPhone keyboard at first too and now I love it. I feel the same way about Swype.

6. deeesea macrumors 6502

I want it!
    Great software keyboard, excellent for texts with one hand. Sometimes I'm walking to and from lecture halls so I'm holding a coffee or books or what not, and it's a real pay to try to text with one hand on the iphone stretching to the far end of the keyboard while walking can be quite difficult.

Also there are times in the morning when you just wake up, I'm so groggy my hand eye co-ord is way off (or mayybe it's the angle the phones at) that I cant seem to hit the right keys. In those situations swype would be a nice alternative. :D

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Swype is a brilliant keyboard. I'm not sure how it works on smaller screens (I only used it on the Droid X), but its definitely the thing I missed most when going back to the iPhone.

8. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I've tried it and I'm not a fan. I really enjoy the stock keyboard that is supplied in the iPhone. Sometimes I get addicted to the "key click" sound haha

9. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

People don't want what they can't or will never have.

It's predictable for hardcore iPhone fans to say they don't want it. The truth is that Swype would be a great addition to iPhones 3 year old underdeveloped keyboard.

I'm sure the ones that say they don't want or don't care for it, don't own a device with a swype enabled keyboard, tried it for a little while on a device they don't own or are just too caught up in Apple Dogma to give something new a chance.

10. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I'm guessing you personally favor the swype keyboard?

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Actually I'm a big fan of Swiftkey on my N1 but Swype is an excellent keyboard as well and IMO would be a great addition on iPhone. Everyone who I have turned on to Swype have never gone back to their stock Android Keyboard.

The great thing is that you can have the option to enable it, something Apple should allow. If you don't want it? Don't use it but give those who don't mind trying something new the opportunity to do so.

12. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Oh yes!!!! I want swype on my iPhone!!! This should have been a poll.

13. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

It's pretty fast and it learns unlike iPhones keyboard. Making typos on Swype is virtually impossible once you get the hang of it. When I had Swype on my N1 I typed (swyped) only with my thumb on one hand and never made a mistake. How could anyone not want or like that?

14. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Poll Added! Thanks for the suggestion! haha :cool:

15. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i think it's stupid and would never use it.

i think it's one of those features that you would get tired of. it's there to "show off" to your friends because it's not a feature you see in every phone.

17. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You've obviously never used it. It's very handy and increases text speed. I for one hate having to go back and fix mistakes, and with swype they are rarely made.

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Oh yeah.

Try typing with one hand with the stock keyboard. Slow, yeah? I can type a trillion times faster with the Swype keyboard with one hand.

Anyone who says it's a gimmick- TRY USING IT before bashing it.

^Well said.

acfusion29, you've clearly never used it.

19. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Don't knock something you have obviously know nothing about or never tried. Swype is all about functionality and nothing else and is one of the best if not the best virtual keyboard on the market. Swype is available in virtually EVERY android phone, if you're referring "every" to iPhone then yes you're correct. :rolleyes:

20. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Fanboys are caught up in their ways and tend to knock anything that isn't included stock in the iPhone, this thread is proof positive.

Now I know how Columbus felt when he was trying to prove that the world was round. :rolleyes:

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

If you have an iPhone I wouldn't hold my breath, hell will freeze over before you see Swype come to iOS devices.

but then again, Opera ,Skyfire and Google Voice were approved so the folks in Cupertino are beginning to loosen up their panties from the bunch they were in for the past 3 years.

22. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I'd have to also agree that wouldn't be bad.

23. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I would absolutely love having Swype on the iPhone. I had a Samsung Galaxy S phone for a couple days and that was the one feature that I liked the most. I really don't like the iPhone keyboard, I find I make mistakes on it pretty often. With Swype, I would be able to type incredibly fast and it would almost never make a mistake.

I think it's really only very useful if you can touch type on a regular keyboard fast without looking. If you have to peck at keys then Swype isn't very good but if you already know where your thumb is going to go it's excellent.

24. NickkyJ macrumors regular

my friend has a mytouch 3g and the swipe texting is amazing. I like it and think its pretty good. It takes awhile to get used to tho thats the only thing that i have noticed. Some weird little shortcuts you have to learn but other than that its nice

25. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That's the problem with those on this thread who said they don't like it. There's a bit of a learning curve to Swype. It's like learning to ride a bike, awkward and maybe difficult at first but when you learn it's a piece of cake.