Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Are you being sarcastic?
It's a valid question.

It depends on the files being transferred. Videos should transfer faster. Smaller files like music and iTunes backups are much slower. Just a limitation of technology.

I've benchmarked external SSDs (well old 120GB OS drives that I put inside USB 3 enclosures and used as large flash drives) via CrystalDiskMark and when connected to USB 2.0, random 4K read/write is around 5Mbps, iirc. When connected via USB 3.0, it was maxing out the SSD's random 4K performance (~15-20Mpbs).

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Are you being sarcastic?

Not at all.

It's a valid question.

It depends on the files being transferred. Videos should transfer faster. Smaller files like music and iTunes backups are much slower. Just a limitation of technology.

I've benchmarked external SSDs (well old 120GB OS drives that I put inside USB 3 enclosures and used as large flash drives) via CrystalDiskMark and when connected to USB 2.0, random 4K read/write is around 5Mbps, iirc. When connected via USB 3.0, it was maxing out the SSD's random 4K performance (~15-20Mpbs).

In my experience, transfer rates are all over the place.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It's a valid question.

The type of file shouldn't matter, as long as you're transferring everything at one time and not trying to transfer something while a transfer is already going on.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The type of file shouldn't matter, as long as you're transferring everything at one time and not trying to transfer something while a transfer is already going on.
But it does matter due to overhead. That's why cloning a drive (sector by sector copy) with a lot of small files is much faster than a simple file copy operation.

Reactions: NightWingz

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Guess, I must be incredibly STUPID then. :rolleyes:

Purchased a Pro 12.9 512GB. Will mostly be used for comics downloaded from the internet with my measly 100Mbps connection which is even slower than USB2. :rolleyes:

Oh I would of gotten the 512gb model but because it was $200 more I rather save the cash than have it. Could use it all but I’ll manage with 256

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
It's a valid question.

Video's are large (100Mb is nothing, 1,5Gb is usual).
Music isn't small either (3,5-10Mb)
I have around 200.000 small HTML files, 0,5-3kb in size. Now that slows transfer speeds down, certainly via USB 2. So I sync then via icloud and wifi. No need to worry, just use the iPad and if it takes all night, no worries. As long as I'm connected to a my wifi point.
In reallity, I'm using 306,4Gb of the 512 and it took about a good long afternoon to get everything on.
Around 200Gb are movies, they take time, but have reasonable fast data-transfer-rates.
The others are emails, tiny HTML files, word documents and most of all PDF's for work. I think about 140.000 PDF's.

I have one file that took days to get synced. A 11.4Gb DEVONThink file that took 4-5 nights to get synced, imported and indexed. But that hasn't got anything to do with transfer speeds, that is the time it takes to build the database and index it.
Which was seriously faster on my 10.5 then the 1Gen 12.9!

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I normally the highest capacity iPhone/iPad when launched.

Having bought the 256gb iPhone and only filling about half the space, I decided the 10.5 @ 256gb is more than enough and spending $200 less than the 512gb is just extra gravy.

iCloud and an Unlimited AT&T data plan let’s me stream and work off of the cloud almost exclusively. Don’t need to use my device’s space nearly as much as I used to before I got unlimited data.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Having bought the 256gb iPhone and only filling about half the space, I decided the 10.5 @ 256gb is more than enough and spending $200 less than the 512gb is just extra gravy.

iCloud and an Unlimited AT&T data plan let’s me stream and work off of the cloud almost exclusively. Don’t need to use my device’s space nearly as much as I used to before I got unlimited data.
Despite getting the LTE model, I prefer the bigger local storage.

For my situation, switching to unlimited data means $50+/mo added to my monthly bill due to higher base cost, higher line access fees and lost employer discount. Over a year, that's an additional $600 and that's an ongoing cost. Keep the iPad for two or three years? That's $1200 or $1800 extra if I go the unlimited route.

Reactions: alecgold

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Despite getting the LTE model, I prefer the bigger local storage.

For my situation, switching to unlimited data means $50+/mo added to my monthly bill due to higher base cost, higher line access fees and lost employer discount. Over a year, that's an additional $600 and that's an ongoing cost. Keep the iPad for two or three years? That's $1200 or $1800 extra if I go the unlimited route.
I rarely keep any Apple mobile product longer than a year.

Also, I have DirecTV Now so the ATT Unlimited Plus plan saves me $40/month on that with included HBO. I also only pay $20/month access for each line I have(3).

What carrier charges you that much?

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I went with the 512gb 10.5 and very happy.

I needed all the space to store my 4k drone videos and edit them, also holds all 235gb of my music and I can put tons of high quality movies on there.

I have a Phantom 4 pro so that's a big use for mine. I edit videos on my iMac but save a lot of info from my flights so I want to make sure I have plenty of storage.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I rarely keep any Apple mobile product longer than a year.

Also, I have DirecTV Now so the ATT Unlimited Plus plan saves me $40/month on that with included HBO. I also only pay $20/month access for each line I have(3).

What carrier charges you that much?
I've got 4 smartphone lines plus 1 iPad on a 20GB AT&T Mobile Share plan that costs $150 after my employer discount. Switching to AT&T Unlimited Plus is $215 or $205 after autopay. We don't have pay TV.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I didn't buy a new iPad but I have the 9.7 Pro. Not sure if I'm allowed to post but will do. I bought the 9.7 Pro with 128GB. I had an iPad 4 with 64GB and that had 23GB left. I would never be able to use 256 let alone 512, because I simply stream movies and TV shows. If I temporarily download movies or TV shows for a trip I might be able to fill a 64GB iPad. My Pro has 79 free, so I don't think I'll ever fill it up. I have 70GB of photos that I could put on my Pro, so if I did that, I would at most be able to use 120GB. If I bought the Pro now, I'd probably go with 256, 64 seems too low, even though I might not immediately fill it up.
I see how easy it would be to fill the highest tier with just media though, 100GB of photos, 200 of movies and TV shows, 100 of music and something else (and there are people who have far more than that) and it's full. Then, if you'll actually use all that I don't know, but I'm sure some people need and/or want that, as this thread proves.

Reactions: alecgold

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Not me because I plan to upgrade 12.9 iPP every two years. 128GB is perfect for me. I don't store any movies or music because I am happy with Seagate Wireless hard drive. (Wireless hard drive is an iTunes Media library) Also Cloud services are good for store some pictures and documents. Cellular is the reason I need to access cloud storage on the go.

Last edited:

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I didn't buy a new iPad but I have the 9.7 Pro. Not sure if I'm allowed to post but will do. I bought the 9.7 Pro with 128GB. I had an iPad 4 with 64GB and that had 23GB left. I would never be able to use 256 let alone 512, because I simply stream movies and TV shows. If I temporarily download movies or TV shows for a trip I might be able to fill a 64GB iPad. My Pro has 79 free, so I don't think I'll ever fill it up. I have 70GB of photos that I could put on my Pro, so if I did that, I would at most be able to use 120GB. If I bought the Pro now, I'd probably go with 256, 64 seems too low, even though I might not immediately fill it up.
I see how easy it would be to fill the highest tier with just media though, 100GB of photos, 200 of movies and TV shows, 100 of music and something else (and there are people who have far more than that) and it's full. Then, if you'll actually use all that I don't know, but I'm sure some people need and/or want that, as this thread proves.
I came to the conclusion that 4x8 colleges recordings a year, each 5-8Gb in size fills up pretty fast any iPad

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Guess, I must be incredibly STUPID then. :rolleyes:

Purchased a Pro 12.9 512GB. Will mostly be used for comics downloaded from the internet with my measly 100Mbps connection which is even slower than USB2. :rolleyes:

LOL, count me as incredibly stupid then. my 128 iPad was always just about full and I constantly had to manage the memory on it. Having the 512 just means that I don't have to worry about that any more.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Now I am in a dilemma, 256GB or 512GB...?

If the iPad can be used as a way to store my RAW photos, it will be an excellent travel companion too. Heck, I won't need my laptop for travels. This will mean the 512GB will be the way to go too

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Now I am in a dilemma, 256GB or 512GB...?

If the iPad can be used as a way to store my RAW photos, it will be an excellent travel companion too. Heck, I won't need my laptop for travels. This will mean the 512GB will be the way to go too

Use Lightroom for RAW file storage on your iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.