Who will be fired for iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dark Goob, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

Scott Forestall was fired for putting out Maps a bit too early. Honestly I never had a problem with it, and I have always liked it better than any other GPS or maps app that I've ever used, and I think it's awesome. But he got fired for that.

So who is getting fired for iOS 8 being so terrible all around? For the glitchy way the keyboard looks when you go into split keyboard mode on iPad? For how it all but bricked people's iPad 2's and made everything but the latest hardware run super laggy? Even the new iPhone 6 is noticeably laggy with it.

Then there are all the people whose devices are basically non-functional after updating because Apple's developer beta program never bothers to beta test the actual update process itself. Don't try to say they do, because they don't. It's a joke.

Oh but look at the stock price. I don't care about the stock price. I care about users. I care about customer experience. Who at Apple cares about customer experience enough to fire someone over this? Because someone deserves to get fired. This is shameful, terrible, and it makes me sick to think Apple would do something like this.

And don't make me bring up the 1500-post thread on Discussions.Apple.Com about how Mavericks will randomly erase your external hard drive. Yeah. Sure, blame the users. Sure, no bug in the OS could account for this. Sweep it under the rug yet again. Obviously Apple doesn't care or they'd post on their own forums and reassure users they are developing a solution, like other companies do. God forbid they publicly acknowledge something.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

No one will get fired for this unless some major muckup is discovered. As far as performance, well there is an easy solution. Don't install iOS 8. None of my iPad's are running iOS 8 and won't.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is a huge assumption and I don't agree that it's true.

Since the entire rest of your post is based on that one bit of conjecture, I think you've led yourself astray from the start.

4. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Fire everyone. Have Samsung take over iOS development. /s

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I don't know if anyone deserves firing per sé but I agree that iOS 8 needs to be tightened up quite a bit. I never come on the forums to bitch and moan but for me personally iOS 8 has been the worst performing version I've ever used. While there's always some bugs in every release, iOS 8 is the most unstable with more little problems than the last version of Android that I used which was Gingerbread. I think that's saying a lot.

I personally don't care if we don't get any new features in iOS 9, just make it stable and just make it work.

6. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I don't think you can fire the whole Apple staff.

7. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Why not? Works great on my iPad Air.

8. z06gal macrumors 6502

Interesting...iOS 8 has been great for me. I would not go back ;)

9. matttye macrumors 601

Was really bad on my iPad 2 until I restored it as a new device... works great now.

I would suggest everyone tries that before complaining. It is likely that things become corrupted over time when you're constantly updating the software and things become buggy.

10. AddisonIII macrumors regular

Wow..maybe Samsung will by up Apple ;) hey anything these days can happen.

11. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Why would someone get fired?

iOS 8.1 is great and stable OS with great features. Certainly better than iOS7.

I dont get all this whining about nothing. iOS 8 was a bit buggy in the beginning but so was iOS7.

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

Cook made the decision to go live with Maps. Cook's responsibility. Scott Forestall was in Cook's crosshairs. Maps was a bullet for the gun. Forstall is gone.

I don't think anyone will be fired for iOS 8.

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

iOS 8 is functional. It does what it needs to do quite well.

The problem is it's not *refined*. Previous iOS releases (especially 6 and prior) had a refinement to the way they work. They didn't have graphical glitches. The framerate usually stayed locked at 60, so everything was silky smooth.

Yosemite has some of these same issues.

I strongly feel the rapid release cycle is the cause for these problems. Years ago OS X releases only happened every 1.5 to 2 years. Plenty of time to work out bugs during development. iOS releases have always been yearly, but development moved slowly; Apple didn't try to do crazy things like change the complete look of the OS in one release.

I want that refinement back. While I doubt I'll switch to Android unless things get MUCH worse, iOS feels more like it every day; soon one of the main reasons people use Apple products will be gone; who's going to pay more money for the same ol'?

14. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Forstall let go not because Maps came out the way it did, but because he refused to apologize for the bad release? That was my understanding of it from all the articles I read on the issue.

But like others are saying, no single person deserves to be fired for the bad release of iOS 8. No single person single handedly developed iOS 8, so why should one person pay such a consequence? All of these products, both hardware and software are deveoped by a team of people at Apple. Unless the whole team is getting fired, I don't think one single person should either.

Besides, I don't feel that the problem lies in the developers or the engineers. I think the problem lies in the roadmap, and the speed at which Apple wants to release these products. For the last several years Apple has been speeding things up for sure. It is now at a point where it is catching up with them in a negative way. For example, Forstall was let go at the end of 2012 if I recall. So that means that the whole redesign, (this is assuming that this project started after Forstall was let go which I think is safe to assume) was done in time span of roughly 6 months leading up to the big reveal at WWDC 2013. That's crazy! They should have kept developing whatever was already on the table for iOS 7 feature wise, while also working the redesign of the OS for an iOS 8 release. That's how I feel at least.

Nonetheless, in my personal opinion, Apple needs to slow it down a little. One of the main reasons that I love this company is for their high quality of software and that's clearly taking a hit right now. There are two things I would like to see them do with iOS moving forward.

1. First, take a break from feature packed releases for one year. I would be very happy if iOS 9 was similar to what they did with OS X Snow Leopard. A release where their aren't many new user features, but where a lot of work has been done on the core OS to improve performance, stability and reliability. A year to really give the base a good spring cleaning in a way. That would be a great way to set them up for many years to come of developing great new user features on the freshened up OS.

2. The second thing would be to spread out feature releases over the course of 6 to 8 months. Rather than releasing iOS with all of its new features in the Fall, release it with about 3 key features at the beginning. Then release a .1 update with two or so new features. And then a few months later one more big update with one or two more features yet again. Think of it. Rather than having all of the excitement in September, where it will then die down until next year. Spread the excitement out for the 6 to 8 months following the initial release. I think that would make for a better customer experience. The benefits are better quality for the couple/few features that come out at a time, and a greater sense of value that you will get when receiving when you are still receiving new features up to 6 months after initial release.

15. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

Great post!

My iPad 4 use to be so smooth and as you said "refined". While I enjoy all the new features of iOS 8, I do not enjoy the glitchy animations. Annoying as all heck.

16. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

If you posted this from work, maybe you should worry about being fired.

17. newellj macrumors 601

No one's going to get fired because it isn't the disaster you're trying to claim it is. I bought two iPhone 6es in the first week and used iOS 8.0 until they released 8.1. It was absolutely fine: no problems of any kind at all. :rolleyes:

18. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I don't know that we'll ever see stable X.0 builds of iOS anymore. Given that android has pretty much reached feature parity with iOS, it's more about being first and not necessarily the best. It bugs me that Apple is buying into that mindset. Apple used to let others be first and would show up later with the best (portable music players as an example). That just doesn't seem to be true anymore.

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It isn't about nothing. Maybe you don't use the same or as many apps as I do but my experience is that every day I would say half my apps crash on launch. Usually they work on the second launch. Sometimes I have to force close them by swiping up in the app switcher.

Every app that uses iCloud takes up to 30 seconds to launch. I've lost data in a number of apps due to either iCloud or iOS. I don't know which.

Every couple of days my iPad re-springs and occasionally reboots. All this is on a brand new iPad Air 2 128GB.

On my iPad Air the screen becomes unresponsive when a call comes through so I have to chase down my iPhone.

So please don't tell me I'm whining. These are real problems that need to be fixed. It amazes me that people think if they didn't see a problem it doesn't exist.

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have it on my Retina Mini and 5S. Threads like this make me scratch my head because I can't figure out why it was started. I have seen nothing wrong with 8.1.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's pretty much all it comes down to.

----------

All kinds of these types of problems existed with every iOS update, so this really isn't anything new or strange. It's not good that these issues exist for various users, but that's more or less the reality of any large OS, and certainly has been like that for pretty much any update for iOS (or Android or Windows Phone or what have you).

22. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I agree wholeheartedly. But I think we're also getting to a point of feature creep (and bloat) that I think it will start slowing down. With iOS 7 and 8 Apple had to catch up to Android and Windows Phone. Now in terms of features we're pretty close to what many have been asking for. So now it's time to start refining all the features introduced in the last two years.

Of course there will always be something new but I don't think we'll see the huge jumps again like we did with 7-8. At the same time my fear is that with Steve Jobs gone there's no one there to say NO. That is something that Apple is missing at this point. Also replicating his eye for detail and his demand for perfection is difficult if not impossible. I've never said and will never say "Steve would never..." Because I don't know what he would have done but it is becoming obvious that he (along with quite a few others who are no longer there since his passing) ran things differently and with an iron fist.

And yes, the yearly cycle of new iOS and OS X releases is too short to build a solid OS. What I hate most now is that we get stability just a few short months before the next release. I love all my Apple gear and I don't ever see me switching to anything else but one thing I noticed in the last 18 months or so is more Windows phones out and about and some very good reviews and user experiences. If Apples not careful Windows phone can sneak up on them while no one's watching. Everyone's always talking about Android but these high end Windows phones are very impressive.

I've blabbered on long enough. Here's hoping for a great .2 (.3) release.

----------

While that's true I personally have had great experiences since iOS 4 through iOS 6. But for me 7 and 8 have been problematic.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

And as you yourself mentioned, just because you had good experiences with something doesn't mean others might not have. To use your own words: "It amazes me that people think if they didn't see a problem it doesn't exist." If you look even just through this forum, let alone online in general, you'll see complaints about practically every iOS update, especially the major version bumps (and same will apply to Android, Windows, etc.).

Again, that's not to say it's good or anything like that, but it's to say that it's not new or unusual, it's just a reality of complex software and hardware.

24. lelisa13p, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Yep, me, too.

Here's another thought.

Maybe one of the main differentiating factors is how much one is involved in using iCloud? I don't use iCloud for anything except Find My iPhone. I have all of the other iCloud toggles OFF. Pix are local; nothing is streamed. Docs are in specific other cloud apps, not iCloud. Is anyone else who isn't having problems in a similar situation?

25. scrubmilk macrumors member

scrubmilk

The real ****ing question is who the **** will be ****ing fired for ios 8's ***** ****ing wifi capabilities