Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyder721

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
newtown,pa
i think this might be the first iphone that i keep for more than a year, i really dont see them doing to many upgrades next June and i might hold off and keep it for another year.... what do you guys think? what will you do?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I will keep it for as long as it take me to get another one at the reg. upgrade price. I don't think iPhone 5 is going to be all that significantly better --- kinda the same as iPhone to iPhone 3G. I think iPhone 6 will be the first LTE model. I will want that one. (Not really convinced Verizon will get the iPhone b/c I'm not really convinced Verizon wants the iPhone bad enough).

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
i think this might be the first iphone that i keep for more than a year, i really dont see them doing to many upgrades next June and i might hold off and keep it for another year.... what do you guys think? what will you do?

If you have a contract of 18 months you still can get an upgrade 6 months after the "iPhone 5" will be released.

2y contract falls on the "iPhone 6" launch time frame.

Even tho iPhone 4 seems the most matured iPhone so far you'll never know what Apple has under their sleeves for the next gen. Could be some simple upgrade, could be something major or something revolutionary, who knows?

You can enjoy your iPhone 4 for a full year, will see next June what comes up.

MrD1sturbed

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
I will keep it for as long as it take me to get another one at the reg. upgrade price. I don't think iPhone 5 is going to be all that significantly better --- kinda the same as iPhone to iPhone 3G. I think iPhone 6 will be the first LTE model. I will want that one. (Not really convinced Verizon will get the iPhone b/c I'm not really convinced Verizon wants the iPhone bad enough).

I think you mean 3G>3GS. The 2G>3G update was significant. The 3G>3GS was evolutionary not revolutionary. Most likely the 4>5 update with be the same. I myself will get the 5 simply because I have another line to upgrade at that time. If i didn't though after going through all iterations so far I think I would actually sit out 5 unless it had some groundbreaking new feature. Just my $.02.

spyder721

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
newtown,pa
I will keep it for 2 years, like I did my 3g. Doesn't make much financial sense not to.

do you think so? i would almost think the opposite, because last year i sold my 3g to pay for 3gs. and this year i will sell 3gs and it should more than pay for itself.

thats the only reason i would think to sell it next year was to always stay with the current phone and not to fall behind, is because the price stays a bit up there.hmmmmm but i think i will be totally satisfied with the iphone 4 for 2 years! is it the 24th yet?:D

spyder721

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
newtown,pa
If you have a contract of 18 months you still can get an upgrade 6 months after the "iPhone 5" will be released.

2y contract falls on the "iPhone 6" launch time frame.

Even tho iPhone 4 seems the most matured iPhone so far you'll never know what Apple has under their sleeves for the next gen. Could be some simple upgrade, could be something major or something revolutionary, who knows?

You can enjoy your iPhone 4 for a full year, will see next June what comes up.

yeah i totally agree with you... i think the 6th version might change, but the 5 will be like the 3gs maybe a few bugs worked out, a lil faster etc. but if i can upgrade to it and sell 4 in 18 months... that is a smart idea.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
For iPhone 4 I'm not spending any money out of pocket so it was a know brainer, for 5 if the same thing happens I probably will buy it but I too think this is the first iPhone I would want to keep more than a year.

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
yeah i totally agree with you... i think the 6th version might change, but the 5 will be like the 3gs maybe a few bugs worked out, a lil faster etc. but if i can upgrade to it and sell 4 in 18 months... that is a smart idea.

No. your wrong. going from 4 to 5 will be as big as going from 3 to 4 ... Why are you so sure their won't be a iphone 4s, or iphone 4.1 or something to that regard next june ? don't be so sure they will have an acutal iphone 5 june 2011..

And why are we talking about iphone 6 when 4 isn't even out yet ? why are we talking about in what order you will upgrade ? on June 2011 I wil buy iphone 5, then march 2013 I will buy iphone 7, then on july 15, 2013, I will buy ipad 2 ....

sounds silly to me,, .. are you sure you won't be laid off / divorced / cancer patient / more kids / etc etc that won't change your decision ? Because I'm saving this post ,and am going to re-qoute it in 4 years if you mention any change in your buying schedule...

ce242

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
Southampton, England
Will upgrade if I feel the iPhone 5 is a big enough jump for me. I used my iPhone 3G until I got a Desire (the 3GS just didnt offer enough for me to make it worth the upgrade).

With Apple you can never tell what they are cooking up, might well be a huge change for iPhone 5, or may be a smaller feature increase (faster, more space etc).

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
I will be keeping my iPhone 4 for a while. It'll have to replace my backup phone eventually because of the micro-sim. My current backup doesn't have that.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Yep. This will be a keeper.

The 3G was not a keeper, too much lag.

The 3GS was better but not perfect.

The ip4 is just about right for 2-3 years.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008

Impossible to say until they show the next one.

vertigomhs

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
it is my goal to have every iphone as i have done so far, so ill probably have this one for a year, maybe less:D

spyder721

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
newtown,pa
No. your wrong. going from 4 to 5 will be as big as going from 3 to 4 ... Why are you so sure their won't be a iphone 4s, or iphone 4.1 or something to that regard next june ? don't be so sure they will have an acutal iphone 5 june 2011..

And why are we talking about iphone 6 when 4 isn't even out yet ? why are we talking about in what order you will upgrade ? on June 2011 I wil buy iphone 5, then march 2013 I will buy iphone 7, then on july 15, 2013, I will buy ipad 2 ....

sounds silly to me,, .. are you sure you won't be laid off / divorced / cancer patient / more kids / etc etc that won't change your decision ? Because I'm saving this post ,and am going to re-qoute it in 4 years if you mention any change in your buying schedule...

huh? Iphone 4.1 or iphone 4s or iphone 5 the next generation dude. Haha :) what i am saying is i think this iphone is the best thing we have seen since the change from 2g to 3g and i think it is great. Etc... relax :D

SexyBeast

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Depends on the next phone. I upgraded from the 2G to 3G. When the 3GS came out, I didn't feel it was enough of an improvement over my current 3G phone. With the iPhone 4, it is a huge improvement, so I'm getting one.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Tech rolls downhill at my place. I buy the new stuff and when the next one comes out, my kids get it. They will get my 3G and will get the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 comes out. The upgrade eligibility rolls nicely so that I am always eligible to get the subsidized price.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I kept my first generation iPhone until the 3GS last year. It was the longest I'd kept an iPhone EVER. As for the iPhone 4, it really depends on what comes next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.