who will replace touch with iPhone 2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eplchamps0304, Apr 19, 2008.

1. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I originally wanted the iPhone in January but decided it wasnt worth breaking my t-mobile contract when a new iPhone was around the corner. When the next iPhone does come out (provided its 3g+gps) I will sell my 8g touch and get the iphone. Anyone else considering doing the same?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I sure will. When my verizon contract ends in November I'm selling my 16GB iPod Touch and getting the 32GB updated iPhone.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

grr lucky you. I have to terminate my contract early to get mine, unless I want to wait until next January. Does anyone know how much it will cost to terminate my 2 year in June when I will have 6 months left (1/4th) by then?

4. eplchamps0304 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

My t-mo contract ends in January and will cost 200 to break. I will seek to find someone else to take my contract by using one of the cellphone swapping sites.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

My wife is envious of what my Touch can do. She's getting the new iPhone when her current cell contract expires in November. I may upgrade to a 32gb Touch. I'm waiting to see if there is not some update to the Touch in June though. Bluetooth or a built-in camera would be nice features to add to Touch-2.

4D

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

honestly? More speclstions? Really, no one but sjobs knows what is really coming.

And I won't update since my cell contract isnt up for a year :/

7. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

I live in Ohio, so this means AT&T = "The suck". They have awful converge here. Around Here, it's Verizon or bust. and Besides, I just bought a 32GB iPod Touch and love this thing, I can't live without it now.

8. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Would consider it ONLY if it can be made to work under prepay.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it can... search for it somewhere. I am not 100% on how to do it, but there's something like when you are signing up via iTunes if you put your credit card number as something like 999999999999 then you can have a prepay option. Apple just doesn't like to say that since they only make money off the contracts.

10. stomer macrumors 6502a

Same here. My monthly mobile calls cost me an average of around 7ukp, so it's pointless for me to take out a contract.

If all they do on June 9 is release an iPhone with 3G, and it's a bit bigger and heavier than the current iPhone, then I'm probably not going to be interested. In that case, I'll just get myself a current gen iPhone.

11. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

for an account in iTunes you do not need a credit card

12. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Actually, no.
    I plan on selling my touch before the new iPhone comes out.
    The £100 price reduction is too much to resist.
    as soon as I can clear it with my dad I'm selling this thing and getting an iPhone.

13. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I won't. The reason? - I can't justify the data charges, when currently I have none.

Come june, and v2.0, I believe the iPod touch will essentially become the iPhone, I mean even Jobs stated at the March 6th event that they will not stop VoIP clients from appearing on the App Store, as long as they use Wifi as opposed to cellular networks (EDGE) - as this will breach the terms and conditions in their contract with o2 and AT&T stateside.

Ok, so the iPhone will get 3G in June, at this point, thats pretty much a given. Announcement at WWDC and shipping June 27th (Friday). I personally don't use the internet enough to justify paying a premium which works out at £900+ on o2 over the 18 month contract.

I love my 16Gb iPod touch, and as for the $20-50 (£15-25) periodic updates for extra functionality ... bring them on! - every 6 months for me.

R-Fly

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I was considering getting a Touch but now I think I may hold back and wait and see about the new iPhone. I already have ATT and need a new phone anyway.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Don't forget that third parties won't have any access to the dock connector or anything attached to it in designing their software. This essentially means no official VoIP on the iPod, only the iPhone.

16. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I knew this was a rumor. Could you point me to your source?

17. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I would love to get the iPhone when my contract is up in the summer, but I dont want ****** At&t. Arent you guys worried about the service? Consumer Reports rated At&t way behind Verizon as far as coverage and service goes. Thats the only thing keeping me with Verizon. I might just get a Blackberry but i KNOW that their UI and Browser is nowhere near as good as the iPhones. I am in a real dilemma.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That may be true, but you need an iTunes account with a valid credit card to activate an iPhone.

Why would I be talking about just getting an account? :rolleyes:

19. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Like lots of others, I was ready to buy the iPhone but I'm holding off until June, so I bought a Touch in the meantime. My plan is to sell the Touch once I get the iPhone. I thought about buying the current iPhone as a stop-gap instead of the Touch, but I'm afraid the re-sale value of the phone will drop too much, and hopefully the Touch won't be affected as much (plus it's a 32Gb, which should help it hold its value unless they bump the storage of the phone -- which is probably pretty likely, but I can live with that!).

I've played around with other people's iPhones, and have whiled away plenty of time at the Apple store playing with Touches and iPhones, but having one of your own, loaded with your own content, is pretty amazing!! This technology borders on the unbelievable, compared to anything else I've seen. And the iPhone -- the thought of having all this, plus full time connectivity (via EDGE or 3G), would be amazing enough, even before you consider the phone capabilities! Awesome. People who still say, "the iPhone doesn't do anything other phones can't do" don't know what they're missing.

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Here 'ya go:

bottom of page: http://live.gearlog.com/2008/03/live_from_cupertino_apple_on_t.php

Also, from http://www.homotron.net/2008/03/liveblogging_iphone_sdk_event.html

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

22. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Me, I'm waiting for my contract to expire (with vodafone UK) before getting an iPhone. As this is in November it's fairly safe to say that iPhone 2 will be out by then, and I'll be selling my touch to fund the initial purchase.

23. tobenning macrumors member

The termination fee would be $85-ish. Subtract $5 from $175 for each month you have been under contract.

24. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

do you know if this applies to all carriers? Verizon particulary