Who won't be upgrading to the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Sep 27, 2011.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I'll probably get downvoted - but - I upgraded from a 3GS to a 4. There were clear advantages to the upgrade with both hardware and software (exclusive to the 4) including speed, screen and a front facing camera (which opened up many new apps and possibilities)

To be honest - I don't see me upgrading from the 4 to 4S/5 as I don't need more space, the apps/use case for my phone is fine and don't really need anything new at this time either.

Even if it's NFC enabled - that's not enough to get me to upgrade.

Not a knock at all on the next generation - but I will probably skip this iteration.

OS5 is more compelling than an actual hardware upgrade, for me, at least.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

if it's an iPhone 4S, then 99% chance I will not upgrade.

if it's an iPhone 5, then 99% chance I will upgrade.

it really depends on what the features are. my iPhone 4 works just fine. if it breaks, then I will upgrade to the newest model.

3. naths macrumors 6502

4. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Then I guess don't upgrade. :rolleyes:

You haven't seen the new phone yet so there really is no way to make and educated decision yet on whether its worth it for one thing.

And why not upgrade? The iPhone's re-sale value by far exceeds the $200-300 cost of a new phone.

I have never paid a penny for a new iPhone since the day I purchased the first one. You can always sell the current phone for more money then its costs for the new one (considering you have the option for a full no matter what I am ready for an upgrade discount each year).

No reason really not to and really no reason to say the new iPhone isn't worth the upgrade..... WHEN YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT YET! LOL :D

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

Not everyone feels a need to upgrade all the time. Ex: I am still using a 3G. I will be upgrading this time, regardless of 4s/5. There is always something in the newer versions that make it worth it for some folks to upgrade. Even between the 3G and 3Gs you had more memory and quicker processor as well as better camera and compass. But that may not have been enough for some (like me I suppose ;) )

6. rican macrumors 6502

rican

:D What he said.

7. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I'm on a 3G currently so, I'll upgrade either way... if the boss (wife) lets me.

So the 4, 4S or 5, I MIGHT get one... :)

8. drnen macrumors regular

how bout we just wait and see what the phone(s) actually are first, huh kids?

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Actually - buying into an upgrade means extending my ATT contract by 2 years and not necc. being eligible for the iPhone 5S or 6.

As for not being able to judge - I think I can before seeing the phone. I don't need a better/bigger screen. I don't need more memory or for my phone to work faster. Don't need NFC. Are there other possible changes/updates/etc. Perhaps. But again - I am quite happy with the phone and it works exactly how I want/need it to.

This wasn't the case between the 3GS and iPhone 4.

And I didn't start this thread to complain or to be convinced. I merely asked a question. I don't need to be converted or gospelled to. Thanks.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think it all depends on what current phone you are coming from. If iPhone 2G-3GS, I can see more people upgrading. If 4, sometimes yay and sometimes nay. This is like last year. Internally, the 3GS to 4 wasn't much of an upgrade. If you came from 2G/3G which essentially were the same in specs, then jumping to a 4 was substantial though.

We don't know the specs, so who knows?

11. auxsend macrumors regular

auxsend

That's the whole issue. Without knowing what they are releasing, I can't say.

I have a 3GS, and really want a new phone. But I don't want to sign a two year re-up for slightly faster version of a phone that came out a year and a half ago.

If it's a true iPhone 5, meaning a marked step up from the 4, I'm all in. If it is the 4s (aka dissapointment), It's gonna be the best Droid on the Market at the time.

12. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I will not be upgrading either way as I am still in love with my iP4.

I am VERY excited about the keynote though and the possibility of a redesigned iPhone. I really am. I think I love the hype more because I know I won't have to be in line for this one. I am also very excited to have iOS5, very!

WW

13. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I am not gonna upgrade......why? Because I spend almost 900 bucks on a Unlocked 32gb Version! And its only been 10 months!

14. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

I'm a relatively recent convert to the iPhone which I bought outright, unlocked with no airtime contract. I'm perfectly happy with the iPhone 4 and have no intention of upgrading anytime in the near future.

15. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

If it's a 4S (A5, camera, memory(?)) then probably not. Not nearly enough of a bump from my iP4.

If it's a 5 (A5, camera, memory, new design, NFC, bigger screen etc) then 50/50. If I don't upgrade, I'll probably just get myself an iPad 2.

16. jacollins macrumors 6502a

What if it is an iPhone 5 that's really just an iPhone 4s that they named a 5? :)

----------

I'm leaning toward "no" myself (got an iPhone 4). Really depends on what they announce. Not really anything to break an EFT over so far from the rumors. Now, if they come out with a 64GB phone with a slightly larger screen, I'll certainly be tempted.

17. conundrumz macrumors newbie

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

Prediction is the iPhone 5 will have specs similar to the Galaxy S II except it can run iOS.

Look at the specs of Samsung Galaxy S II released from six months ago. Since then, we have phones with 4.3-4.5 inch screens with dual core at 1.2-1.5 GHz, higher res, NFC, 8MP, and 1080p. Alot of it is way too common. And the Nexus Prime hasn't been announced yet. The Galaxy Note hasn't been released yet. Whatever iPhone 5 would have had great specs from SIX MONTHS ago, but will now be in the middle of the road.

So many people are putting UNREALISTIC expectations for the next iPhone that they just might be disappointed from the announcement next week. It is essentially just like a 6-month old phone INTERNALLY that can run iOS. Yet, they will still buy it.

19. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Probably not..but

Strange things seem to happen to me when I walk into an Apple store.

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I have the iPhone 4 and I am on a two year upgrade cycle so no I will not.

Although my wife will be getting her first iPhone.

but IF at&t allows me to upgrade early and IF Apple releases a full fledged iPhone 5, then I may upgrade.

21. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Redesign/screen larger + upgraded hardware = Yes
    Just upgraded hardware = I'll buy an iPad 2

22. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

Only reason I would switch is to get the white one. And 64 gb. we'll see.

23. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

24. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Only because there are existing threads asking the same question.

25. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think it's pretty well known it won't be 4G.