Who would announce a Verizon iPhone - Apple or Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacPerforma, Dec 17, 2010.

1. MacPerforma macrumors member

There's been quite a bit of speculation that if Verizon will start selling the iPhone in 2011, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg may make the announcement on January 6th during his keynote address at CES. If Verizon does, in fact, get the iPhone in 2011, do you think it would be more likely for Verizon or Apple to ultimately spill the beans and make the big announcement?

The marketing for Verizon selling the iPad seems to have been more of a Verizon effort with a departure from the typical Apple-esque television advertising style, so it would be interesting to see how this announcement and associated advertising would be handled.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

My guess would be Verizon. Apple, for the most part, doesn't care who carries their phones as that is more for the end user then them. If Verizon gets the iPhone I would imagine a barrage of marketing stimuli from Verizon.

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I believe AT&T would. Right after they say, "get off our network, you whiny bitches." LOL

4. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

Apple. Most definitely.

they don't care about international carriers, really

but ending the exclusivity in the US market would definitely be big enough of a deal for Steve to announce it during a keynote

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Apple will announce it...A cloud will descend from the heavens, radiant and white, lightening bolts flying out from it's brilliant hue...a voice will be heard by all mankind in their native tongue...
    God?
    No, Steve Jobs (one and the same?)...
    And he will say with a booming voice..."Alas, I give to you teeming masses a Verizon iPhone... GO and POST NO MORE on Macrumors...":)

A slightly edited version of something I posted a while back...

6. brando123b macrumors regular

I think Steve will announce it. There are few issues that are as important to as many people.

It won't be at CES. Apple will hold a "Special Event" with an unknown theme. It will most likely start with tons of new figures on iPhone sales, iPad sales, app sales, Apple TV etc etc. THEN...

A one more thing will pop up on his presentation...Ivan will walk onto the stage...a big Verizon logo will pop up, and Steve will say "Can you hear me now?"

Game over. eBay will be filled with android listings and the iPhone will be one step closer to being the only phone on the planet. :p:apple:

7. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

meh, that'd suck :(

8. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I agree. An announcement of this magnitude would constitute a Steve note. If anything were to happen, my bet would be a Stevenote at Macworld vs. CES.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Perhaps Jobs & Co would actually attempt to keep the relationship with AT&T on the best possible terms as they begin to sleep with the enemy. An announcement by Steve would be like twisting the knife.

I'm of the opinion it could easily be announced by Verizon for this reason, to downplay it just a bit to keep from hurting AT&T's feelings too much.

But I would not be surprised if it were announced by Apple either. I think either is completely possible.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Didn't I already post that?

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

good point

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re all wrong. An MR member announces it about everyday on here.

15. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

16. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I believe that a CDMA capable iPhone will not come until the iPhone 5, and will be a dual mode (GSM/CDMA) phone marketed as a "world phone capable of bringing (the) iPhone experience to any part of the globe!"

After the crowd dies down he'll say, "Yes, that means Vz too."

So, that means Apple will announce it, and it will be in June.

17. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

18. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Hilarious. Well I hope someone announces it dammit. I'm still on my 30 day (well now 28 day trial period) and I would jump back to verizon in a heartbeat. I have a feeling it would show up in June although I'd like it to pop in January. I wonder...iPhones have very high resale value but if it were on Verizon that gives more people more option to buy. In turn selling them will lower the price. Ugh.. What's a girl to do?

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right, what I was thinking. It would be an Apple hosted event and Steve would make the announcement and then bring the CEO of Verizon Wireless or other official on stage to talk about it.

It would be an Apple event if not just for all the beatings they get from people wanting a Verizon Wireless iPhone.

Personally, I am not as excited as others are for when a Verizon Wireless iPhone comes out, I'll be keeping AT&T. AT&T works just fine in my area.

20. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Epic :D

21. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I hope to god they don't release it or make pre orders available the same day as AT&T's. Imagine the problems we will have with another 10-20 million people ordering an iphone on launch day?

And we thought it was bad this year....

22. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Of course they would, as they kick up their legs on the table, with cigar in mouth.. Inhale, then let out a loud Bwahahaha!

23. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

PM me her number. :D lol (kidding)

24. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think Jobs cares about AT&T's feelings.