iPad Who would like an iPad 5 without iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ionjohn, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Of course it won't happen, I'm just wondering if anyone was in the same situation as me. Would love getting an iPad 5 but iOS 7? It's a shame. Too slow, too childish,too buggy? way too ugly...

And please, don't tell me how much you love iOS 7, we're here to speak ill of iOS 7.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope, I'm happy with 7.

3. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I'll be honest and say that I was seriously having second thoughts of getting an iPad 5 when I saw and used iOS 7 back in June. I thought it looked like crap, and I still do in some ways. The thing I hate most about iOS 7 are the stock apps, inside and out. The icons suck, and the apps look unfinished (except for weather). I also hate the bright ass neon green bar at the top of your screen when you're in a call. I'm not really going to go into everything... I've gotten used to the rest of iOS 7... even the translucent dock that I couldn't stand, and I actually do like the look of the lock screen and notification center... that's about it...

I was thinking yesterday about how much I hated, and i mean hated, iOS 7 a few months ago... and I've gotten used to the hideousness I guess... Maybe it's because I like my wallpaper, which helps. I don't know what's gotten into me...

Anyway, I'm still getting an iPad 5 since I've waited too damn long, and I'm not going to let an ugly OS stop me. I would have liked to have iOS 6 on my new iPad, but I use control center too much to really want to go back at this point. It kind of sucks, because the iPad 5 could have been perfect without this neon rainbow explosion. Oh well...

4. ionjohn thread starter macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Yeah what you say makes sense. Of course iOS 7 is not all garbage, but for my part, I don't think I could stand it on an iPad. Hopefully apple will release 7.1 or whatever soon to make it faster. That could make me buy one.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I also don't much like iOS 7, and would love to have iOS 6 on the new iPads and iPhones. However, I got the iPhone 5S, thinking I'd give it a try -- if I couldn't stand iOS 7 I could return it. And it's been okay. I think it works better than on the iPhone 5 (had the beta on an iPhone 5 for a while before reverting to iOS 6). Maybe the new CPU helps it run better. So I'd give iPad 5 a try. It probably would work better than on the existing iPads. There's nothing to be done about the look, but speed / stability problems probably won't show up on the iPad 5.

6. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I think it's likely that by the time people actually get their hands on the new iPads that the software for iPad will be better optimized. I say better because iOS 7, IMO, is a work in progress and as much as I want iOS 6 functionality returned, I just don't think it's going to happen. It's like they started completely from scratch to fix something that wasn't broken. Oh well, I can hold out updating my iPad mini for as long as I like. I don't want to upgrade it until I know exactly what I'm getting and losing. Once bit, twice shy. Lesson learned.

7. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I really like ios7. At first I didn't like the look and some of the stock app designs are questionable. But there's no doubt in other areas it looks fantastic. I also love the layering effect and a lot of the little things they have improved within the OS. I really believe it's a huge step in the right direction and by ios8, it will be a great OS.

8. pat park macrumors 6502a

iOS 7 will not be slow or buggy. The next gen iPad will use A7 chip and have more RAM than iPad 2 and or mini. The upgraded hardware will handle it.

Those complaining of poor performance on iOS 7 are typically underpowered devices and or people who have bad back ups, poor app usage.

Deal with it!

:p

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

7 is awesome.

10. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

7 is generally very good, but I have to admit I've had more random crashes / weird behavior since updating. I'm sure Apple will iron these things out in due time.

11. bobright macrumors 601

What gen of iPad are you using?

12. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

yes. me too. i like it on my ipad and iphone. what's not to like (ha ha ha).

13. Parzival macrumors newbie

Parzival

I agree with you 100%.
    I was going to buy an iPad 5, but with iOS 7? Probably not.
    Yeah, it's that important to me. The software doesn't complement the hardware anymore.
    Say what you will about iOS 6, but that OS, even with all its skeuomorphism, looked more "right" on an iDevice.
    It's time for Apple's stock to drop for a while so that (hopefully) they stop being so complacent and deliver quality stuff.

14. OSMac macrumors 65816

Given the choice Id take the look of iOS 6 over 7 on any device.

Is it the reason not to buy a new ipad, no,
    but I'll keep my iOS 6 ipad longer.

15. Kendo macrumors 68000

Agreed. I loved iOS 6 since it looked like a mini OS X. Some of the apps look better for the most part (such as the weather app and GameCenter) but some are a disaster like Newsstand and even iMessage.

They should've kept the transparency for Control Center and Notifications and the Parallax features (even though I turned them off) but they should've kept the icons and apps the way they were.

If it is true that the iPad 5 has 2GB of RAM, I will pick it up. But if it has 1GB, I will pick up a used iPad 4 and use it till it dies.

16. chiffchaff macrumors member

I'm currently using iOS7 on an iPad 3 and it's fine. I was skeptical at first but after a few weeks of use I really like 7, even with the the things that currently feel like phone designs enlarged for iPad screens. I assume those will be fixed with an update around the time the iPad 5 comes out, and look forward to getting a 5 with the new iOS.

17. smileyface macrumors member

I have not noticed iOS 7 to be slow or laggy at all.The only time is when changing wallpaper and I don't do that very often so it's not an issue.

They have run benchmarks comparing iOS 6 and iOS 7 on an iPad 4 and they are very similar with iOS 7 maybe a fraction slower.

18. Macalway macrumors 68020

I hated 7, but after using it often I've warmed to its (ice cold) look & feel.

It's a nice change, if anything, just for the sake of change.

They didn't screw anything up badly ( except maybe Calendar) :D

19. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I don't care for iOS 7 very much. The thin fonts are the worst IMHO. The dock is ugly, I liked the old one much better. Task switching is nice and easier to use. So an iPad 5 with iOS 6 would be ok with me. I could list a few other things I dislike about 7 but that would be pointless.

20. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

LOL! I know iOS7 may not be to everyone's taste but anyone who decides not to get an iPad5 purely because of it is just cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Even if you don't like the OS itself or the stock apps, does that really matter? Is that really what you buy an iPad for, or is it the third-party apps you put on it? Yes some of those will change to look more like iOS7 but not radically so and certainly not enough to matter IMHO.

21. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

iOS 7 may be slow for many people today, especially on iPads, but that's the whole point of the new iPad. It's going to run super sweet on there, I am sure. It's brand new hardware after all, and by then they may have 7.1 or another update that will take it to another level up still.

22. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

My main gripe with iOS 7 is the snail like transitions. They take too long and it really does bother me. At least give me the option to change or turn them off. Opening folders especially.

23. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Amen. People need to catch up and start living in the now. Leave iOS 6 behind regardless of your iOS 7 reservations. The fact is, it's recommended you run the latest software available for your product for security and functionality reasons. The only bug I've found which I see regularly in iOS 7 is when going into multitasking on my 5s and selecting a different app it'll sometimes go back to the app I was on previously and then flicker to the app I selected in multi tasking.

24. Altis macrumors 68020

I'm still on 1st gen iPad. They'll have to pry iOS 6 from my soul!

I'd consider getting a 1st gen mini when the 2nd gen comes out if it isn't retina, or ends up suffering so badly in weight and battery life. iOS 6 would just be an extra reason to.

I can't help but feel iOS 7 was made from scratch specifically for the phone. 3x3 folder grid on 9.7" screen? That's genuinely comical. :D

----------

I don't need to upgrade just because it's "recommended" to be on the latest, whatever that may be. iOS 7 still has oodles of flaws, some security problems, bugs, crashes, etc.

If stability, speed, and battery life are the units of measurement, iOS 6 is holding its podium position as of yet.

25. bobright macrumors 601

The hundreds of posts in the iOS7 Music App thread beg to differ....