Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Apple should allow you to categorize all the apps like they are in the app store: All the games in one folder, everything for camera in another folder, everything for sports in another, etc.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Who would like THIS on a software update? (3.1 , 3.2 , 4.0 )

You have 11 pages of apps. You want to go to page 10 without flicking right or using spotlight. You want to be there in less than 3 seconds. How then?

Well, I think that Apple should have an intuitive screen recognition system ( Use your finger to write number 10 on the screen and the screen automatically moves to page 10 ) :eek:

Anybody agrees with me?

I think your idea is not so bad but at 10 pages of apps I think it would be easier to just search for what you are looking for then remember which page a specific app is on.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'd love to have folders so that I could group apps by category.

And the above posters are right. Touching the strip of screen between the dock and the apps will take you to the next page left or right. It's very fast - no need to swipe. 5 taps will take me 5 pages to the right in less than a second.

I nominate this as the answer to the OP's challenge. No flicking, no using spotlight, 10 pages in less than 3 seconds. Sorted.

It is a tiny bit fiddly in that you need to hit the correct strip, not the dock or an app, but it's there and it works.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'd love to have folders so that I could group apps by category.

And the above posters are right. Touching the strip of screen between the dock and the apps will take you to the next page left or right. It's very fast - no need to swipe. 5 taps will take me 5 pages to the right in less than a second.

I nominate this as the answer to the OP's challenge. No flicking, no using spotlight, 10 pages in less than 3 seconds. Sorted.

It is a tiny bit fiddly in that you need to hit the correct strip, not the dock or an app, but it's there and it works.

I'd like to be able to name the pages at the top of the screen.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I have my apps organized by page. Home screen has the most used/vital apps. Pretty much everything that came with the phone. Second page has my utilities that I use regularly, if not daily. Third page has games.

That's it. Any app I don't use frequently is removed from the phone. I don't need a messy phone. Already have a messy computer.

Pressing the dots do nothing but go to the next page. You can do the same thing by pressing the left or right lower corners of the screen just above the dock.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I want newly installed apps to be placed on the left page of the home screen temporarily, then you can move each app to a suitable page.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
i'm going to better myself than my first folders suggestion:

arranging your apps in itunes so they can be ordered there, sync and it reflects the order, in folders or whatnot on your phone

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
i'm going to better myself than my first folders suggestion:

arranging your apps in itunes so they can be ordered there, sync and it reflects the order, in folders or whatnot on your phone

Everything should be editable on both the phone and iTunes, and the user should be able to choose which takes priority when there's a sync conflict.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

Yes. I'd love to arrange apps in folders in iTunes. I guess I must have about 300 apps in there (mostly free junk) and only about 30 that I want to ever use again.

At the moment it's all thrown in one pile. I'd like to have a way of putting all the junk in one place (I'm too anal to completely erase it), holiday apps in another folder, work apps in another, games in another etc.

I have my apps organized by page. Home screen has the most used/vital apps. Pretty much everything that came with the phone. Second page has my utilities that I use regularly, if not daily. Third page has games

Yes, but new apps get thrown into the first available empty space, screwing up your organisation. And if you have more apps in a category than fit into one page, moving apps to create a new page in the right place is a pain.

I suppose I'll give my new arrangement scheme that arranges apps according to how much I use them. For the moment, I've pretty much given up on categorisation (except for games).

Page 1 - my most frequently used apps : Mail, Night Camera (far better than the iPhone camera app), sometimes my game of the moment, Macrumors icon, Tube Deluxe (live updates on London tube), Sky News etc.

Page 2 - my lesser used apps - Shakespeare, Wordbook, Wikipaedia, Handy Level, VNC etc.

Page 3 - apps that I am testing out. New apps go here: Pilates, Face Match etc. After testing, they are either moved to the right page, or deleted.

Page 4 - games. Used to have lots, but am trying to cut down. Still here: Snail Mail, Hero of Sparta, a few others. New games go here too.

Page 5 - should be empty, but empty pages get auto-deleted now.

Page 6 (actually page 5 now) - apps that can't be deleted, (Stocks, YouTube etc) and apps that I very rarely use but want to keep around e.g. FlashLight, iTie (how to tie stuff), UK Numbers (reverse phone lookup).

I used to have double the number of apps on my phone, but have really cut down recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.