Who would like THIS on a software update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gershon, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

Who would like THIS on a software update? (3.1 , 3.2 , 4.0 )

You have 11 pages of apps. You want to go to page 10 without flicking right or using spotlight. You want to be there in less than 3 seconds. How then?

Well, I think that Apple should have an intuitive screen recognition system ( Use your finger to write number 10 on the screen and the screen automatically moves to page 10 ) :eek:

Anybody agrees with me?

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I would love to install apps to the iPhone without having the icons on the homescreen.

4. senorhappy macrumors member

I think Apple may have a patent on something like that...

Apple has a patent on using different fingers to execute different functions: i.e: right middle finger could launch a certain app, or left pinky finger could send you to the 10th homepage. I assume they will leave the index fingers to function as pointers.

Kinda sounds like the same thing. I thought it was a good shortcut, but i guess it would be limited by number of fingers a person has and the number of combinations of fingers that could be sensed.

5. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

How would they know which finger is touching the screen tho?

6. senorhappy macrumors member

Good question... i don't know how it would work. Maybe have to perform a "here's what my fingers look like" training session when you get the phone... just speculating.

7. toughluck macrumors member

The Best Solution

Ok this is an easy solution to your problem. You know the dots on the bottom of the springboard that tell you what page your on? Well its simple, whichever one you tap takes you to that page.

8. jontucker macrumors 6502

What I would like is a feature that automatically sorts the icons by the name, date installed, number of times the app has been launched or total length of time the app has been used. Particularly the last 2 which would pit your most used apps nearest to the home screen.

9. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

10. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Hm, interesting concept. But it's going to be hard to make sure the iPhone detects the difference between 'writing' the page number and pushing an app icon or pushing and holding an icon to rearrange the home screen.

Submit the idea to Apple!

11. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

So far there are only two people that are aware that touching the dot above the dock takes you to that page...

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How about tapping and holding the row of dots at the bottom to bring up a quick jump menu?

13. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

much better idea :D but pinpointing that tiny dot would seem hard to do.

14. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

Touching the dots already send you to the designated page.

15. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Nope , no matter which dot you touch it just goes to the next page either right or left.

16. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

There are some good ideas here but most are how to work around the limitations of the current springboard design. This design worked fine before 2.0 but it doesn't work as well for those with large volumes of apps. Rather than adding features to better navigate 11 pages, the whole thing should be redesigned.

Search definately makes it easier but a redesign would be a welcomed feature in a future release.

17. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Not the exact dot.

Something like: you tap and hold the thin row where the dots live. That might say convert the bottom static app bar into a slider strip with all your app pages.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think that will work as your finger touching any part of the screen will inevitably trigger an app to open. Think about it.

And I am unsure, but if I had 11 pages of apps I am not sure it would be such a task to get from page 1 to 11. I mean, how fast do you really need to get to that 11th page? If something is important to get to right away it'll be on the first page or two.

19. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Say you had a long webpage or a long PDF document opened up on your iPhone, how would you reach the bottom? You might not need to do it that often or you might read the content in it as you scroll slowly, but it still doesn't remove the fact that having a scroll bar or a shortcut to an app page is out of the question.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Maybe if you only have two pages of apps

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This sounds like a good idea to me.

22. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Sure ... something like this might be nice, but I think the Spotlight-like search is sufficient for me. Besides, I think my iPhone already does recognize a certain finger gesture I give it when certain apps freeze on me. It doesn't do any good though. :p

23. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

+1.

+1.

24. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Tapping the dot doesn't work on my 3GS. It simply takes me to the next page no matter which of the 6 dots I tap.

25. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

G I Joe might be able to tap those dots. Not me.