Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NC12

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2020
#1. 14” Thermal throttled unable to achieve Turbo Boost mode. As the 16”
#2. No HDMI 2.1 so I can’t output 4K 120hz to my LG OLED
#3. WiFI 6e not included
#4. Unknown issues I can easily wait for a full Review
#5. 20% Off EDU discount just gonna wait and pay my brother to use his .EDU discount
#6. A Notch but no FaceID you guys realize the iPad Pro has FaceID but No Notch.
#7. a 3nm M2 or the 3nm M2 Max will be far superior
You know anyone can use the education store right? You don’t actually have to be in school, there doesn’t seem to be any proper verification

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Reasons for canceling?
-> being far to impulsive, finding out that you just can't afford it(either on your own or buy your bank/CC showing you the finger)
Whenever I bought "fresh" Apple stuff (iPadMini4, 2017 rMB, iPhoneXR and now iPadMini6) I waited a few days/weeks after the announcement to order which meant that shipping was delayed by a week (except for the XR which I picked up at an Apple store). So yeah switching on your brain and letting it finish the compute is a good idea.

Reasons for posting?
->Narcism and/or trolling (pretty sure many of these cancelation weren't an actual order at start)

Reasons for Luke?
->He does make his living posting videos, and after keeping one for himself he will be able to just resell the rest at a reasonable loss.
LTT did the same thing were they claim to have ordered every config (I'm sure there is a disclaimer as in 1 store config for every possible SoC and RAM option) and sure even after selling those they won't keep they might suffer a 5 figure loss but is the cost of doing that kinda business.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
It doesn't help when Apple won't tell you everything you need to know on the specs page and makes pre-orders available immediately after the announcement so in order to not wait months for the device you have to move fast which almost always results in something being looked over. Ex. on Apples website it list HDMI Port but you have to scroll down to see it only supports 60hz yet it never states v2.0/2.1 anywhere so for non-tech people that know they want HDMI 2.1 they would never know if 60hz was or wasn't 2.1. Additionally, look at the weight differences between the 16" Pro and Max where the Max has more weight presumably due to additional fans/thermals but that wasn't caught until days after. Apple constantly keeps this stuff from the consumers only for reviewers to have to figure it out so if someone doesn't want to wait months for a laptop they are kind of stuck with Apples less than stellar details.

Apple could easily remedy this by delaying pre-orders up to a week after the event and let news/reviewers get their hands on it early so when pre-orders open buyers can make an informed decision possibly reducing returns and negative feedback. So why does it take Apple two days to tell us how fast the SDcard rate only after a news outlet ask them? Their "surprises" or unknowns are exhausting and it happens for EVERY product these days.

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Serious question: why place an order for a new MacBook Pro and then cancel it? Was there missing information about it? Why create threads about it? You just changed your minnd?

Can we not all do a little more thinking before pressing the buy button, and be responsible?

Because I wanted to get an order in right away to get a machine on launch day, and I managed to do exactly that.

But after paying closer attention to my existing machine's performance, I determined I wanted extra memory, so I cancelled my original order and am now in queue for mid November.

The original never shipped, so no harm, no foul. I apologize if my non-impacting cancellation triggered you though!

Tim

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Reasons for Luke?
->He does make his living posting videos, and after keeping one for himself he will be able to just resell the rest at a reasonable loss.
LTT did the same thing were they claim to have ordered every config (I'm sure there is a disclaimer as in 1 store config for every possible SoC and RAM option) and sure even after selling those they won't keep they might suffer a 5 figure loss but is the cost of doing that kinda business.
These Youtubers, like Luke could even just send them back after their reviews during the 14 day return. So they won’t be out any money

Reactions: haruhiko

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
like Luke could even just send them back after their reviews during the 14 day return.

Sure, but how long/often could he do that before either being blacklisted in the Apple Store or with the return as he clearly wasn't buying as private user (but a for profit reviewer)? No idea bout the US but in the EU that would trigger a different set of rule right to point where it might be considered as some kind of fraud (which IMO is always true when you order something planning to send it back) making him liable for damages (re stocking fee/refurbishing).

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Sure, but how long/often could he do that before either being blacklisted in the Apple Store or with the return as he clearly wasn't buying as private user (but a for profit reviewer)? No idea bout the US but in the EU that would trigger a different set of rule right to point where it might be considered as some kind of fraud (which IMO is always true when you order something planning to send it back) making him liable for damages (re stocking fee/refurbishing).
Apple touts their easy return policy here in the US so doubt they'll blacklist anyone. What they need to do is enlist a limit on purchases for products like they already do with Edu and Government discounts (2-3 limit on iPhones, I forgot how many exactly). However, it's not limited for non-discounted accounts so the fact someone can buy $30K+ worth of MacBooks on one account that's not marked as a business account should stopped. We already have a chip shortage and folks who are more concerned with clicks will just return most if not all the stuff they ordered is just being a ****** human.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Apple touts their easy return policy here in the US so doubt they'll blacklist anyone.

There is nothing special bout that, question is wether that still applies for business-2-business deals and/or review units.

On this weeks WAN-Show Linus made it clear that he will resell those MBs he doesn't keep, now sure thats Canada but I don't see it being that different.

In a prior video Luke did buy that awful base Core2Duo iMac Apple is still selling and made it clear that he would return it even before he ripped it open. Pretty sure someone at Apple monitors these mid tier Utube channels and send a nicely worded "Not cool Luke".

Ordering something with the clear intent of returning it is dishonest at best, and when it is in a forprofit context it becomes a clear case of fraud (wether Apple would sue or not is another question).

It is a bit like taking a fancy car for a test drive and then using it as a movie prop or renting it out for the day.

Reactions: tdbrown75

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
Here is a perfect example of the consumerism and how pointless it is. Luke does some good stuff, but I don’t know why he’s going through this level of desperation. MBKHD is probably gonna get the specced 14 and 16 and review those and that’s it. Why buy 5?

He's notorious for buying and returning. He'll eat the restocking fee's if any. He'll just use the losses on his business expenses if he is clever at accounting.

I agree most of his content is starting to shift a lot towards pointlessness. But with the Youtube algorithms, and incentives for monetizing for channels its easy to understand why he's doing it.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Its obvious, but not at this level if you are producing relevant content. Most of the videos he's produced so far are just bait videos. The 'you don't need this video he did' was some what relevant, but I slept through most of it.

Its just desperate though and still won't even generate anywhere near the top channels. The reality is, MKBHD and Dieter Bohn suck most of the views on a new product. Most will put in the effort for Zollotech, but I noticed he's starting to make a tonne load of videos for content and views sake. He did so many videos on the iPhone 13 I felt nauseous.

Yep, he's become out of control, but part of the problem is his content is too narrow. MKBHD has broad content and you need that to survive. The most informative (some times a bit too much) is Dieter Bohn.
Your points on the tech YouTubers comes from the reality of tech reviewers on YouTube. Unless you were established years ago like MKBHD, Unbox Theory, etc. you have to post tons of videos to make up content. Their content mostly sucks and is copied from what every other lesser tech channel is doing. The only ‘newish’ channel that puts out a lot of actually good content is Max Tech. Their videos are pretty decent.

Reactions: 3Rock

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
And they ordered 8 MacBooks, so somewhere in between Luke and Linus.......
What does the amount of MacBook Pros they ordered have to do with their content? they are a newish YouTube channel that is trying to gain subs and views. They aren’t excluded from the others who are doing the same to make a living. Sure it may be annoying but their content on many of their videos is enjoyable to me and informative.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
What does the amount of MacBook Pros they ordered have to do with their content?

Dunno, what has MaxTech and their content to do with the topic at hand?

Point is all mid tier techtubers that didn't get free samples ordered a bunch of MBs most of which they won't keep for long (either returning them or selling as used).

Reactions: Sheepish-Lord

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I am one of the guys who cancelled. And yes, I placed a new order.

I was originally with M1 Pro 16GB RAM. But in the end, I decided for M1 Max, 32GB RAM. On Monday, I thought 16GB was enough. Until someone explained me how Unified Memory works. I have 13-14GB used when using Xcode (React Native), Android Studio and Parallels. And then you need some video memory. Uh oh. I never ever want to see a popup that I should close an application.

So I cancelled and I ordered a new one. Now I am waiting until late-November. Will I cancel again? Maybe, it my machine will be in stock earlier at a webshop or APR. Apple Store is too far away.

Shouldn’t I first see if something is in stock fierst, instead of ordering with Apple again? No, because I want a certainty that I will have my MacBook at least in November.

Doesn’t sound problematic to me. M1 Max is brand new, so yes, some make mistakes.

Reactions: 3Rock and tdbrown75

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
I canceled my order I placed.... in my mind..... because I like to read customer reviews and test drive brand new cars before I buy something for thousands of dollars...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: douscinco

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I am one of the guys who cancelled. And yes, I placed a new order.

I was originally with M1 Pro 16GB RAM. But in the end, I decided for M1 Max, 32GB RAM. On Monday, I thought 16GB was enough. Until someone explained me how Unified Memory works. I have 13-14GB used when using Xcode (React Native), Android Studio and Parallels. And then you need some video memory. Uh oh. I never ever want to see a popup that I should close an application.

So I cancelled and I ordered a new one. Now I am waiting until late-November. Will I cancel again? Maybe, it my machine will be in stock earlier at a webshop or APR. Apple Store is too far away.

Shouldn’t I first see if something is in stock fierst, instead of ordering with Apple again? No, because I want a certainty that I will have my MacBook at least in November.

Doesn’t sound problematic to me. M1 Max is brand new, so yes, some make mistakes.
You sure you understand how unified memory works? You will typically see a need for LESS memory within a unified environment due to the more efficient nature. Sounds like you just bought a bunch of ram you'll never use...

tdbrown75

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
You sure you understand how unified memory works? You will typically see a need for LESS memory within a unified environment due to the more efficient nature. Sounds like you just bought a bunch of ram you'll never use...

While unified memory improves performance, it does not mean you need less system RAM.

I suppose if you have 16GB of system RAM, and 8GB dedicated to video (for a total of 24GB), many can probably get away with 16 considering a lot of that Video memory goes unused part of the time.

But if your system is already using close to 16GB RAM, as is the poster you quoted, it does not mean his new system with unified memory will require less. He needs to account for video usage.

And finally the thing no one talks about on here, is file caching. Your Mac will use the memory it has, if not in the traditional way then at least to cache files, which also improves performance.

So while unified memory is fast, and the system can use it more efficiently, it's not magic.

Tim

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
While unified memory improves performance, it does not mean you need less system RAM.

I suppose if you have 16GB of system RAM, and 8GB dedicated to video (for a total of 24GB), many can probably get away with 16 considering a lot of that Video memory goes unused part of the time.

But if your system is already using close to 16GB RAM, as is the poster you quoted, it does not mean his new system with unified memory will require less. He needs to account for video usage.

And finally the thing no one talks about on here, is file caching. Your Mac will use the memory it has, if not in the traditional way then at least to cache files, which also improves performance.

So while unified memory is fast, and the system can use it more efficiently, it's not magic.

Tim
Agreed but most people think they need more memory because the built-in monitoring tool shows 6 out 8gb used when running Safari or similar and do not understand how memory management works. Additionally, the faster you can free up memory can also reduce the need for more unless you need it for sustained performance (e.g. virtual machine).

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I canceled my order I placed.... in my mind..... because I like to read customer reviews and test drive brand new cars before I buy something for thousands of dollars...
Why? You have 14 days to use it and decide for yourself.. I'd think an actual hands on evaluation and using the machine as you normally would in daily use would be far more beneficial than reading random 'customer reviews'

You said you like to test drive cars before buying.. Well why not test drive the MacBook Pro for the 2 weeks that Apple allows?

Not understanding the logic here, sorry...

kevinleecutler

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2020
A notch without Face ID is a wonder, im sure its time to perfect it right as that screen looks super thin.

Also im a Mac mini user and I just wanted to say I love my notch

IMG_0036.jpg

ewu

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
when I try to press 'check out' button, I always feel a notch on that button and it stops me to press.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.