Whole New Product?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MallCop, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

9to5mac is reporting that tomorrow we may see an introduction of a totally new product. Now maybe the iPhone won't see a bigger screen, nor the iPod Touch but what if apple is creating a hybrid sort of device to take on the new PS Vita and really dominate the gaming world? That is what the case leaks have been about. It will feature the ~4" screen, "tapered" design, and the dual core processor. Don't know what they'll call it and whether it will fall under the iPod or iPad family. I do expect to see a device sporting the larger screen tomorrow and will be surprised if there isn't one.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/02/lets-talk-about-tuesday-iphones-ipods-and-more/

2. iphone5expert macrumors newbie

let us see what will happen!

it is only a day left behind! let us see what will happen

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Interesting, but don't know. I don't have any game consoles, but would buy one from Apple (preferably a non-portable game console) in a jiffy.

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I believe a new product has been in the pipeline for some time. It was even mentioned on the last earnings call. So this IMO is entirely plausible.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Apple and gaming have never really gotten along that well. While it's true that you can find some quality "games" on the iPhone, the current market doesn't really distinguish those games from other mobile offerings. In addition to that, Apple wouldn't just be taking on Sony with this, they'd have to design a device that has more appeal than either the PSP/PSV, plus the 3/DS lines. There's also a lack of clear dev support for the iOS family; again, while there are some good "games" in the app store, there are certainly no system sellers or IPs for the devices that would warrant loyalty the same way that consoles (and, by extension, handhelds) have. Is it possible? Yes. Is it wise for Apple to create a 4th iOS device, especially a gaming one? Probably not, Angry Birds and stripped down console games aren't going to cut it.

6. RenoG macrumors 65816

I can totally see apple bringing something totally new to the table to exspand their ecosystem, they need to get folks excited about something other than phones all the time.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

8. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

True but the iPad did do what nothing else was ever able to or can do. It shaped a new product line that has been sold out for almost a year and a half straight. If Apple did discontinue the iPod Classic and Shuffle I just can't see them have 3 mobile products and the nano. Its time for some new portable from apple the iPod has grown tired and then you have the iPhone and iPad but nothing in between. I personally would love a bigger form factor than the iPhone but yet smaller than the iPad.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wonder if the iPhone 4S will plug into a shell akin to the iPad so that users can have a bigger screen and a compact phone.... Then again, maybe not. :p