Whoops, I hosed my Trash Can.

jandrso

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Fl, US
Im not sure what I did, but if I drag a file to the trash it wants to immediately delete the file as opposed to the default of trashing it.
I tried the usual sudo rm -ri ~/.Trash in terminal. I even logged in as root to do the same and just crashed finder repeatedly. This suddenly occurred like 2 hours ago. I just can't remember what I did to make it happen. I was trying to show hidden files and hit option-shift-"." instead of command-shift- "."

Not sure if this is a 10.15 bug as the trash works under different profiles, just not mine.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

jandrso

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Fl, US
Thank you Fishrrman however that didn't work as well. I'll chalk it up to a bug in Catalina Beta and send in a bug report. It worked fine until poof, it just didn't.
Since there have been several days since the bug appeared I suspect there will not be enough info in the system logs to identify when or how it happened.

Thank you again for responding and assisting.

jandrso

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Fl, US
After deleting the .Trash by cli I logged off and logged in and it recreated the .Trash directory with the appropriate permissions according to get info. However the issue remains.
[doublepost=1562513699][/doublepost]
Typo in this post or error carried over into Terminal?
Not sure what the typo is you’re referring to but the command I typed was “sudo rm -ri ~/.Trash” and it ran with no error. The result of the command was the /.Trash directory in my /users/johnanderson directory being deleted. When I logged back in it recreated. Still can’t move files to the folder just immediate deletion.
[doublepost=1562513736][/doublepost]
This is standard behavior for files on a network. Are you speaking about local files?
No. Local file to my desktop.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Gourd City
Copy and paste this exact command into a Terminal window:
Code:
cd ~ ; ls -ledO@ . .Tr*
Then drag to select the output, ⌘C to copy to the clipboard, then paste into a reply post here.

The output should be at least two lines, and possibly more, listing some on the directories "." (which should be your home folder), and the trash folder therein.

Please use CODE tags around the pasted output.

It would also be useful to paste the same command line in a Terminal window under the other accounts where the Trash works, then post the output here. Then we can see the info on a known working account, along with the info for a non-working account

jandrso

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Fl, US
Copy and paste this exact command into a Terminal window:
Code:
cd ~ ; ls -ledO@ . .Tr*
Then drag to select the output, ⌘C to copy to the clipboard, then paste into a reply post here.

The output should be at least two lines, and possibly more, listing some on the directories "." (which should be your home folder), and the trash folder therein.

Please use CODE tags around the pasted output.

It would also be useful to paste the same command line in a Terminal window under the other accounts where the Trash works, then post the output here. Then we can see the info on a known working account, along with the info for a non-working account
Here is the output from my user account. I did the same as root and received similar results but was unable to paste into any documents as there is a finder issue (beta problem).

Code:
johnanderson@Johns-MacBook-Pro-2019 ~ % cd ~ ; ls -ledO@ . .Tr*
drwxr-xr-x+ 18 johnanderson  staff  - 576 Jul  7 13:55 .
 0: group:everyone deny delete
drwx------   5 johnanderson  staff  - 160 Jul  7 13:25 .Trash

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Gourd City
Here is the output from my user account. I did the same as root and received similar results but was unable to paste into any documents as there is a finder issue (beta problem).

Code:
johnanderson@Johns-MacBook-Pro-2019 ~ % cd ~ ; ls -ledO@ . .Tr*
drwxr-xr-x+ 18 johnanderson  staff  - 576 Jul  7 13:55 .
 0: group:everyone deny delete
drwx------   5 johnanderson  staff  - 160 Jul  7 13:25 .Trash
The permissions and ownership on ".Trash" look correct, as does "." (your user home folder).

One thing that would prevent this ".Trash" from working is if you aren't logged in as the user "johnanderson" when you try to remove things. To confirm that, try creating a new folder in that account's home dir or its Desktop, and see if that works. If it does, then you're logged in correctly. If it fails, then something is amiss.

The Terminal command to identify who you're logged in as is:
Code:
id
In general, if you're running beta releases, you should expect to need to reinstall when things go wrong. You should also expect things to go wrong on a regular basis.

jandrso

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Fl, US
The permissions and ownership on ".Trash" look correct, as does "." (your user home folder).

One thing that would prevent this ".Trash" from working is if you aren't logged in as the user "johnanderson" when you try to remove things. To confirm that, try creating a new folder in that account's home dir or its Desktop, and see if that works. If it does, then you're logged in correctly. If it fails, then something is amiss.

The Terminal command to identify who you're logged in as is:
Code:
id
In general, if you're running beta releases, you should expect to need to reinstall when things go wrong. You should also expect things to go wrong on a regular basis.
I will try the suggested tasks to verify operation.

I agree on the beta release gotchas. I am at 37 bug reports and counting for this release of Catalina. Most of them have been typical application issues. This is the first true OS pooching I've seen. One minute working and the next not. I usually have been able to muddle through the betas of OS's without reinstall. This will be the first I have had to do since System 8 DB on a 6100.

nicho

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2008
Not sure what the typo is you’re referring to but the command I typed was “sudo rm -ri ~/.Trash” and it ran with no error. The result of the command was the /.Trash directory in my /users/johnanderson directory being deleted. When I logged back in it recreated. Still can’t move files to the folder just immediate deletion.
Though admittedly i'm not a Terminal expert and therefore don't know the difference between -ri and -r, I successfully fixed this issue in Mojave just 2 days ago with the following steps:

1) > sudo rm -r ~/.Trash

2) > mkdir ~/.Trash

then relaunching finder. I did not need to log out/in.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Gourd City
Though admittedly i'm not a Terminal expert and therefore don't know the difference between -ri and -r, I successfully fixed this issue in Mojave just 2 days ago with the following steps:

1) > sudo rm -r ~/.Trash

2) > mkdir ~/.Trash

then relaunching finder. I did not need to log out/in.
The -i option will ask for interactive confirmation before removing.

Code:
man rm