Who's anticipating buying a 2010 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Feb 17, 2010.

  1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

    VirtualRain

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #1
    Assuming the 2010's are priced in line or even better than the 2009's, who's thinking of buying one?

    If they offer quad, hex, octo, and dodeca core machines, what will you be looking to buy?

    What will you be upgrading from?
     
  2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Location:
    Boon Docks USA
    #2
    Not me. Will wait for sandy bridge which is 2011. My 2008 mac pro is doing just fine now. I expect a price hike for the updated mac pro's. Which is outrageous now. :eek:
     
  3. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2009
    #3
    will buy whatever machine has the most cores. Upgrading from 2.93 2009 Octo. The 2009 machine will join the render farm.
     
  4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

    Drumjim85

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    DFW, TX
    #4
    My company wants to buy a few 09 versions right now, and it's killing me knowing (thinking) that there's going to be an update soon.
     
  5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    I'm definitely not updating.
    Considering that the next generation won't be a major architecture upgrade, I'm waiting for the next big thing, probably 2011 or 2012.
     
  6. mds macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    #6
    I'm just waiting to pull the trigger. I'm looking at the $2500 one. If they only add a high end BTO option, then I'll just pick up a refurb 08 or 09. Ideally they'd have a 6 core or at least core shrunk 4 core...we'll see. I'm really ready for a new machine though!!
     
  7. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #7
    Well, I was at one point, so set on getting a new 2010 Mac Pro, but I've pretty much made up my mind that I will be waiting for the new 2010 iMac i7.

    All the glum pricing talk here has ultimately swayed me over. I simply cannot justify the price of a Mac Pro (considering they continue the current pricing trends...) vs. an iMac i7 with that gorgeous 27" display.

    I've priced a low end Mac Pro with an inferior compared display to over $3000. I can just find so many uses for the extra $1000 if i go iMac.

    But I promised myself to at least take a close look at the new Mac Pros when they do come out, just to see my options again. But yea, I had that anticipation before, but it's all directed for an iMac now.

    Edit: Btw, I am an avid ebay seller, so I have no problem in selling older machines for newer models. And due to their simplicity, iMacs are just so much easier to pack up and ship, rather than shipping lumbering towers while detailing every single upgrade and component to the buyer. Some people that are pro-Mac Pro like to argue about it's versatility as an upgradeable tower, which is a definite plus, don't get me wrong, but personally I have no problem living by with keeping an iMac for 3 years until Apple Care runs out and then painlessly selling it to refresh the entire system.
     
  8. peskaa macrumors 68020

    peskaa

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #8
    Well, I just got a 2.93 Quad off Apple as a replacement for my endless dodgy 27" i7 iMac, and I'm happy with it. I can't see the 2010 Mac Pros offering much more either, and I'm expecting the GPU to work in mine which is all I'm bothered about.
     
  9. CCK macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2010
    Location:
    KY
    #9
    Working on a G5 PM right now, so I'm in pretty desperate need of an upgrade, especially since my next film project is going to have a lot of stills in it and I want to do it in prores 422 and the new FCS isn't for PPC. Transferring & backing up to new HDs right now so I'll be able to (hopefully) pop them in & be ready to work on day 1. So I'll be a little disappointed if could have gotten an 08 and not missed out on anything.
     
  10. hoj macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2009
    #10
    How huch faster than a G4?

    Looking forward to new hardware. It's been a _very_ long wait for me since the current machine is a 2001 733MHz G4 Quicksilver! I imagine that it will be several ( >>2) times faster. :D
     
  11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    #11
    I may buy one later on in the year, or I might just wait it out until the Sandy Bridge ones show up. I don't know. I definitely won't be getting one right away though. Still not far along enough in the whole "media student" thing to need it QUITE yet.
     
  12. telequest macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    Location:
    NJ
    #12
    Hoping the 2010s are a good value

    Our 2004-era dual 2.0GHz G5s have been workhorses and paid for themselves many times over. We probably should have picked up the 2008s when they came out, but waited long enough that we figured the 2009s would be a better bet. But then feedback in places like these forums convinced me that the 09s were a step backward in many respects. And the G5s have kept doing a serviceable job with Final Cut Studio, at least with standard def projects. So ... here's hoping that the 2010s will be out soon ... and an unambiguous leap forward. Then again, there's always the Refurb store with the 08s.

    I do miss the old days when PowerMac updates were ALWAYS significant improvements from the previous generation (G3, G4, G5), and we never had to wait more than half a year or so for a nice speed bump ... and you had a choice of good, better or best models with prices that were pretty much proportionate to the value. It still boggles my mind that the best Pro macs available today may well be the models that were released 25 months ago.
     
  13. Pernille macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    #13
    Upgrading from my G5 the moment they are available. I struck a deal with my employer. They will buy me the Mac Pro in exchange for a 12 month salary reduction. This lowers my income tax, effectively saving me 40ish % on the price of the Mac Pro.
     
  14. Magic Lantern macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #14
    They can't release a new Mac Pro fast enough for me! I am still chugging along on a dual 2.7 G5 with money ready and waiting for the upgrade. Everyday I go to the store to see if there has been a silent upgrade, I refresh Macrumors every 10 mins!

    I am so tempted everyday to buy a 2009 - but I know the day after I do the 2010's will be released...

    It is frustrating...
     
  15. mds macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    #15
    Maybe you can do the rest of us a favor and buy a 2009 today so we can all get a 2010 tomorrow!! :D
     
  16. student_trap macrumors 68000

    student_trap

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location:
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    #16
    I do think that they will be cheaper, however I don't aim to get a new mac pro for a fair while (my 2008 is still plenty fast for me!)
     
  17. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #17
    i was planning on getting a 2010 but then i got a great deal on a 09 octo with a monitor .. so i couldnt pass it up .. next upgrade probably wont be until sandy bridge
     
  18. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

    Cynicalone

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Location:
    Okie land
    #18
    Having purchased an 09 in March. I won't be upgrading for a while.

    I'm usually on a 3 to 5 year upgrade path. Usually closer to 3 years, it really depends on what Apple does with it's hardware.
     
  19. Magic Lantern macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #19
    Well if you all want to have a whip round I will happily oblige ;)
     
  20. CCK macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2010
    Location:
    KY
    #20
    If the 10s are unimpressive, I think the 08s will be hard to find.
     
  21. jamesfabin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #21
    I'm buying one

    I'm eagerly awaiting the day they come available - I'm in need of upgrading my Original Intel Mac Pro and it's very outdated video card. I'm sticking with the Mac Pro since I used a SATA Raid card and external SATA enclosures. If the iMac offered just a couple SATA ports, I'd consider it - but since it doesn't (and I don't want to go down to Firewire 800 speed) I'll stick with the next Mac Pro.
     
  22. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

    ildondeigiocchi

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Montreal
    #22
    Honestly, unless they offer some major overhaul to the case with a stunning design and insane Hardware options, I think I will skip the update. I'll probably just end up buying the high end GPU option from Apple as an upgrade for my 4870. At this point it seems highly probable that Apple will opt for the 5870.
     
  23. oban14 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #23
    The 2008 is still doing just fine for me. Probably the best value Apple ever offered, especially seeing the price/performance of the 2009s.

    I'll wait until 2011 if not later.
     
  24. Techhie macrumors 65816

    Techhie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2008
    Location:
    The hub of stupidity
    #24
    Hopefully they will have a highly clocked octad for me, I've been juggling '08s and '09s off and on since November. I need something with a GPU that can handle these 30" displays without having to shell out for a $100 adapter :rolleyes:
     
  25. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #25
    If it's from Apple, it will have at least one MDP, and not likely to include 2x DVI (dual link) ports for running 2x 30" displays (let alone more 30" 'ers than that :p). :(

    You'd either have to use an adapter, or wait for a hack (i.e. someone to post the ROM in order to flash a PC version).
     

Share This Page