Who's Buying Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zwhaler, May 15, 2007.

  1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #1
    After the update today, I am getting tired of waiting for SR MBs. I think I will end up buying this generation of MBs and live with it. It looks more and more to me that Apple is going to skip the new generation of C2Ds in the MB and instead wait until Penryn is available before updating them again. But I hope the MBPs get Santa Rosa... what do you think?
     
  2. EvanAgee macrumors member

    EvanAgee

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2004
    Location:
    Indiana
    #2
    I say if you're tired of waiting, get one! I just bought a 17" MBP a little over a week ago and I'm completely happy with it and can't imagine being that much happier with the next version. Go for it!!!
     
  3. 05elstonc macrumors regular

    05elstonc

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Location:
    Miami
    #3
    I will be buying the mid range Macbook and buying 2gig of ram from newegg. This will be a big upgrade from my G4 Powerbook.
     
  4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

    DeaconGraves

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #4
    I'm getting a new BlackBook very shortly. Maybe this weekend.

    MB update was a bit of a bummer but at least I feel that I am no longer buying a six month old model for the same price as the new one!

    Now if I can find someone to sell my dell to... :D
     
  5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

    Dynamyk

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto
    #5
    I think I'm going to get a refurb from the last gen, it'll save me a bit of money.
     
  6. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

    kwajo.com

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Bay of Fundy
    #6
    I think I'll go for it. I agree with the above posters, I was going to be buying soon anyway, so even though the update wasn't fantastic, at least now I don't feel like I'm getting the 6 month old revision.
     
  7. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #7
    It's still a six-month old laptop. They didn't do **** on this "update" except put in a different six-month old processor.
     
  8. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Location:
    graphite clamshell
    #8
    I placed my order for one of the 2GHz MacBooks an hour and a half ago. Now it's a different kind of waiting game, probably a week. arg

    My iBook (see .sig) has lasted seven years, and cost twice as much as the machine I bought today. I can't believe some knuckleheads are complaining about today's announcement. I am thrilled!
     
  9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

    DeaconGraves

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #9
    If you put that spin on it then you can consider it a price drop. A macbook that i buy today has more value than the macbook I could have bought yesterday. Enough with the complaining, people.
     
  10. dannewell15 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    #10
    I have a 2ghz Macbook from before 2.16 was out, about 4 weeks before. :D I don't mind that much though, its not that bigger deal for me. If they had upgraded the graphics card, then I would have been pissed off, very pissed off. hehe :D
     
  11. prism macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2006
    #11
    now that the MB revision has been announced, I doubt very much that the MBP update will be significant, it would cannibalize the MB market considering that there are many ppl out there that see the gfx chip as being the main difference between the two.
     
  12. kellen macrumors 68020

    kellen

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #12
    My guess is that is why they just did a processor speed upgrade. Now if they bring out newer MBP, with LED displays and SR, that would be the difference now to go pro, versus what it is now.

    Makes sense to me, as the MB and MBP differences are rather small now except for screen size and graphics card (I know all of them, please don't quote and list them, I am saying the ones that I see as most significant).

    I guess we will see at WWDC.
     
  13. hidehide macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    #13
    Im glad that I didnt wait...
    I got the 2ghz white macbook for $999 at my university at a discount price 2 weeks ago..
    Now, its $1099 in apple store.. i guess after student discount, its still $999..
    So I havnt lost anything :)
     
  14. prism macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2006
    #14
    Yes, but what I am saying is that LED backlighting, SR and maybe a new gfx chip will make the difference pretty significant, probably enough to make a whole bunch of people somewhere in the middle migrate towards the MBP.
     
  15. odinsride macrumors 65816

    odinsride

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2007
    #15
    I'm still holding off for the next MBP. I bought a MB about 3 weeks ago just to tide me over with my first Mac until new MBP's come out. I plan on keeping it though as a spare/secondary computer once I get a MBP...then I can throw my PC out the window once and for all :p
     
  16. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

    kwajo.com

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Bay of Fundy
    #16
    Well I just ordered my new Macbook. I figure it'll do me for a while, and the $600-700 I saved by not getting a MBP is going to give me a headstart on my savings for my next system.

    Here's hoping I made the right decision.
     
  17. Since '76 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    #17
    Nope, still waiting for 10.5 and iLife '07 to be included before buying either a Macbook or a Mini.

    I have a working Tibook so I can wait a bit longer...
     
  18. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Location:
    McKinney, TX
    #18
    Well put!

    I don't understand the concept of trying to keep up with the Jone's and having the best of the best. It's just too expensive to play that game. I'm extremely happy with the Macbook CD i bought in June of last year. Does it matter that they made a C2D just a short time later? No. I wanted a notebook computer for school so I sold my PC, saved some money, and bought one. It does everything I need it to and more. So the C2D has wireless N...i can upgrade. So it runs cooler...that's fine cause i don't rest mine on my jewels. It's got 1Gb of Ram from the factory...I can upgrade to 2Gb.

    Point being, if you always worry about someone having something "better" you're in for a LONG ride. Cause in the end, EVERYTHING will be 2nd rate and outdated.

    Now that's not to say "shame on anyone who upgrades". I've got a CD and eventually i'll upgrade to something better too. I'm just saying to be smart about how often you upgrade and pay careful attention to *why* you're doing it. Is it out of necessity (do it!), personal pleasure (nothing wrong with that from time to time!), or for bragging rights (are you serious?!) ? No one can answer that question but yourself.
     
  19. chadi macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Location:
    Canada eh?
    #19
    I bought the 17" MBP about 4 or 5 days ago, I made a post about it...so far I've had 0 problems.

    I got sick of all this waiting for this waiting for that, it's been out long enough that, hopefully, there shouldn't be any 'rev A' type problems...if they make large changes (a la LED screen...which I haven't seen any comment on 17" LED rumors) then I would have to suffer the early adopter curve.

    The last early adoption I made was my Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB card on my gaming PC (which I currently have on ebay...not sure if I can post a self promoting link so either search for it or pm me for the auction # if you are interested :D) the card itself is fine but the drivers were terrible.
     
  20. SHowHawk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    #20
    You know, while I was (and still am) disappointed that Apple didn't see fit to give the MacBook that tiny, but ever so important, upgrade to Intel GMA X3100 or something else better than the tired old GMA950 graphics, I am still thinking of taking the plunge on a new MacBook rather than waiting on the possibility of updated MacBook Pros at WWDC. I really don't expect Apple to bring out a MBP to fill the price gap between the $1499 "BlackBook" and the base $1999 MBP. And I don't want to drop two grand on a laptop just so I can play a few games every once in a while.

    So, there could be a new MacBook in my very near future after all. :)

    (But I still wish Apple would acknowledge the value of better 3D graphics for "consumer" models with better GPUs in the macBooks and Mac mini. :( )
     
  21. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

    LaMerVipere

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago
    #21
    I'll have to wait to see what sort of update the MBP gets before I decide what the hell I'm going to buy.

    As it stands now, I can get a BlackBook with 2GB RAM for $1700 with tax (educational discount).

    The base MBP, assuming Apple doesn't push the pricing upward for the next update, will be $2000 with tax. And that only comes with 1GB RAM. But it gets a proper graphics card.

    What to do. What To. Do.

    Hmm....
     
  22. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Location:
    McKinney, TX
    #22
    Or you could get a standard blackbook stock (if you like black) or white macbook 2.0 stock for far less. Upgrade the ram to 2Gb for $83 from g. skill. then upgrade the harddrive for not much more. It would still come up less than $1700. Just a thought ;)
     
  23. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #23
    Not I said the fly. It wasnt even an update. I am not thrilled, and not amused.

    They needed to update the Graphics card. Im not an avid gamer, its just this is supposed to be a "new" computer, and it is still using a almost 2 year old graphics GPU. Sweet action.

    No thanks.
     
  24. 1337cowsgomoo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 13, 2007
    #24
    I too shall be buying soon. The new updates are pretty rad; I was looking at the mid-line MB for quite a while, and it's a tad comforting that I'll be getting more bang for my buck:
    2.16 GHz processor instead of 2.0 GHz (not much, but whatever)
    120 GB instead of 80 GB (yes! 40 more gigs!)

    At least the upgrade is something. At last, I will soon own an :apple: :)
     
  25. sparkyms macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2007
    Location:
    Southampton UK
    #25
    I bought yesterday... then the updates happened today, and they upgraded mine for me, and gave me the money back as the new ones are cheaper.

    I also thought it would take longer to ship (as it is saying 2days on the page.. and also said expected ship date 17th). But i got home from work this evening and checked out the order status. And it has shipped, so I am expecting it tomorrow! :D

    Right now, I honestly couldnt be any happier with apple. Ok, so people were looking for Santa Rosa, so I can understand if a few people are bothered about that, but I wasn't, so I'm really happy with what I'm getting.

    The Black Macbook should go nicely next to my iMac 24" (which now the macbook i bought has the same processor.. so it's lovely!) :)
     

Share This Page