tigres

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
So far I haven't done any serious number crunching with it but playing flash videos and running IM clients my i7 has stayed cool as a cucumber. It got slightly warm when I was charging it with the laptop still on my lap but nothing to complain about.

I'll be using Handbrake soon and let you know how hot it gets.

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
There's already another thread on this.

Engadget is just linking to some bootleg tech site where they had an MBP get to 100 C without the fans kicking in, as pointed out by someone in the other thread.

There's obviously something wrong with that specific unit for the fans not to go past 2000 rpm when the CPU is that hot. It's a lemon.

Reputable tech sites show that they run cooler than last gen MBPs, which weren't that hot to begin with.

tigres

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
There's already another thread on this.

Engadget is just linking to some bootleg tech site where they had an MBP get to 100 C without the fans kicking in, as pointed out by someone in the other thread.

There's obviously something wrong with that specific unit for the fans not to go past 2000 rpm when the CPU is that hot. It's a lemon.

Reputable tech sites show that they run cooler than last gen MBPs, which weren't that hot to begin with.
Well I did a search for that thread. Got a link?

maybe the mods can merge them.

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
I figured as much. They are cranking it hard with Cinebench
Doesn't explain why the fans are sitting at idle speed.

The maximum operating temperature of the i7 620M is 105 C (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 Mobile I7-620M CP80617003981AH.html)

The fans should kick on well before you get within 3 degrees of the CPUs maximum operating temperature. If you think that Apple designed a computer to NOT do that, you are mistaken.

This unit is obviously defective. How a tech site didn't come to this conclusion yet I did after 3 minutes of Googling is astounding.

rawd

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2008
Doesn't explain why the fans are sitting at idle speed.

The maximum operating temperature of the i7 620M is 105 C (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 Mobile I7-620M CP80617003981AH.html)

The fans should kick on well before you get within 3 degrees of the CPUs maximum operating temperature. If you think that Apple designed a computer to NOT do that, you are mistaken.

This unit is obviously defective. How a tech site didn't come to this conclusion yet I did after 3 minutes of Googling is astounding.
Maybe they are just looking for hits then. :confused:

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
Maybe they are just looking for hits then. :confused:
That or they're incompetent. I smell a combination of both :)

I'm surprised at Engadget for linking to that site. But at least engadget acknowledges that PC Authority's experience is not normal.

rawd

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2008
That or they're incompetent. I smell a combination of both :)

I'm surprised at Engadget for linking to that site. But at least engadget acknowledges that PC Authority's experience is not normal.
I find myself reading Engadget much less these days to be honest. I'm either getting older and crustier, or their antics and headlines are getting too TMZ for my taste

stodge

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2010
Too much like a tabloid paper; dramatic stories/headlines for bigger readership?

rawd

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2008
They post such flamebait news stories and the comment section is a whole other mouthbreather universe altogether

silversx

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
sounds like a lot of owner's bias on here.. which is understandable.. after all.. you just purchased a 2000 computer you'd hate to read all this negatives about it..

:D

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
My new i7 2.66 15" machine is currently rendering something and it's doing a bunch of downloads in the background. So my CPU is heavily taxed. Fans are running pretty high right now and I'm sitting at 158 F according to iStat. This is still about 25-30 F cooler than my 2007 non-Unibody MBP as this is a normal Monday morning task for me so I know it well. I should also note, however, that these tasks used to take 4-5 hours to run every Monday and I'm 85% done 2 hours into the normal process.

Hot...yes. Better than what I had? Absolutely.

**Edit**
And the process just finished in 40% of the same time it took last week. I'm no benchmark, but for my real-world usage, this increase in speed is AMAZING. Wow. I only have the 7200-RPM hard drive in here but I can only imagine how much more of a boost I'd have gotten with a SSD. Just...Wow.

stodge

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2010
sounds like a lot of owner's bias on here.. which is understandable.. after all.. you just purchased a 2000 computer you'd hate to read all this negatives about it..

:D
Maybe but someone pointed out (from memory) that the fans were only at 2000rpm? So they didn't kick in when expected, hence it was running hot. So defective laptop? Bum testing? Who knows. I'm not going to believe everything I read, though it is the internet, which as we all know is the The Fountain of Truth. :D

Josh.C.123

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
London
the temps of he heatsink were reaching +70 Degrees C simply running google chrome, and itunes. i love the 15inch mbp i have but i sometimes wish i had chosen the i5. maybe its a software related issue?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I for one welcome the arrival of the iMitt. Although I'm upset that I can't get it in charcoal black to match my Speck case.

Oh wait, it just melted. No problem now!

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
That's pretty cool that you're able to tax your system that much. It's cool to hear folks using these new processors to do real work and not just make the OS feel "snappier". I wish I fell into that category. Although I use a reasonable amount of CPU when I on occasion read in and reformat a 300+ million row CSV with a bunch of sed/awk scripts or compile software but it's nothing like people such as yourself rendering for a few hours straight. :)

My new i7 2.66 15" machine is currently rendering something and it's doing a bunch of downloads in the background. So my CPU is heavily taxed. Fans are running pretty high right now and I'm sitting at 158 F according to iStat. This is still about 25-30 F cooler than my 2007 non-Unibody MBP as this is a normal Monday morning task for me so I know it well. I should also note, however, that these tasks used to take 4-5 hours to run every Monday and I'm 85% done 2 hours into the normal process.

Hot...yes. Better than what I had? Absolutely.

**Edit**
And the process just finished in 40% of the same time it took last week. I'm no benchmark, but for my real-world usage, this increase in speed is AMAZING. Wow. I only have the 7200-RPM hard drive in here but I can only imagine how much more of a boost I'd have gotten with a SSD. Just...Wow.

harmonica01

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
i've never seen my istat nano temps go above 64 on my i7 15" 2.66

Yall must be blocking off the rear vent to no end cuse it never even got hot to the point as being discussed here in my lap playing anything

yall got some junky computers or are blocking vents/gaming with the silicone keyboard cover perhaps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.