Who's depressed about their 15" MBP with crap battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamash, Jun 8, 2009.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

My battery is so crap and now it's up to 7 hours... I bought this computer 6 months ago and it was 2100 or so with the student discount upgrading to 4gigs of ram. I'm just all sorts of depressed... anyone else just recently buy a MBP?

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The previous generation macs have great battery life anyway.....

Seriously, this toshiba gets an hour and a half max on PERFORMANCE mode. It seems like apple battery lives seem to spoil some of you guys here. I was extatic about being able to get 4 hours when I get my macbook. Now I'm gonna be able to get 7 on my new 13" macbook PRO! :)

4. delude macrumors 6502

Yes! I totally am, bought this in October hoping that it would last me for 5 years, but I can't even upgrade the RAM to 8gb?

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im not to upset about it. i hardly use mine off the AC adapter and when i do, it's for no more than an hr. but of course it would be nice to have. im just happy i got the one with the express card slot. SD reader for me is useless.

6. delude macrumors 6502

What do you most frequently use in your express card slot?

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ESATA external HDD and external sound card for audio editing.

8. delude macrumors 6502

Might look into just getting some more USB ports or something, my external sound card uses usb2 or firewire.

9. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I'm not!

I got exactly what I paid for. Everyone knows that Apple updates all of their lines once or twice a year. Sometimes it is a little speed bump other times it is a little more and sometimes it is a huge change.

10. delude macrumors 6502

I understand what you mean, but you paid more for less ;)

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

more usb ports is always a good thing. altho i would find a powered high speed hub. i think the most that you can get out of the express slot is 2 or 3 and probably not powered either.

12. delude macrumors 6502

Oh right, I didn't know that thanks. Would you have any recommendations to brands or models?

13. Ploki macrumors 68000

me 6 months.
    i dont give a damn. new one has no express card. and ive been using it happily and joyfully and i would not trade this 6 months for 0.2ghz of cpu and an SD Card slot. ;D

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well they can be hard to find but Belkin has ALWAYS worked really well for me. i have had the same one since usb 2.0 came out. and have bought other's as well as gifts and never had a complaint about them.

15. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you shouldent feel depressed...but more elated...those new 15's wont do 7 hours. and expresscard is miles over the sd.

you will see 8gb soon i think with an update.

16. TheMonkeyMan macrumors newbie

At least you folk with 2.53's have 6mb cache.

The new ones have 3mb. :confused::confused::confused:

17. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

25w vs 35w core's

18. TheMonkeyMan macrumors newbie

Hey MacMod.

I'm a computer novice, but saw that Cache was halved which looks bad and 3mb looks quite pathetic.

Could you give me the benefit of a 35w over a 25w? Does it make up for the "cache"?

19. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I'm actually bummed that I won't have easy access to the hard drive, for the sake of an easy upgrade.

20. Ploki macrumors 68000

which ex/34 audio card do you have?

21. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sorry, i mean the 2.53 is a 25watt core, it just runs cooler then the 35watt core's.

anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong...

22. TheMonkeyMan macrumors newbie

Ah - So am I right in saying that the new 2.53Ghz processors are slower than the old 2.53Ghz processors?

23. powersurge macrumors member

I bought the MBP unibody when it first came out to replace an aging compaq laptop and I'm still pretty happy. If my battery ever goes bad I can just mail it off rather than the whole laptop unlike the new model :D Outside of that the new MBP is very similar in spec to the old one other than being able to expand the ram to 8gb (not sure why the old one doesn't support 8gb). :)

The only thing that I'm not happy about is I still haven't been able to figure out why Vista tends to freeze randomly (could be hours could be right away) under boot camp and why under OSX World of Warcraft blackscreens if I run it full screen (again could be hours could be right away but it doesn't crash if I run it windowed). But these I tend to think are software related. :(

24. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm a little bummed. It's the RAM mostly, though. The other things are perks, which are nice. But I just need to know if I'll ever be able to upgrade my current MBP to 8Gb--or if I'll have to buy a whole new computer. If it's the latter, I hope to know soon so that my current machine doesn't depreciate any more!

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

honestly if you have a 2.0GHz processor... you probably shouldn't be worried about 8GB of RAM. if you say you need it, i don't know why you would buy the entry level MacBook in the first place