Who's doing a clean install?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Razeus, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

Since my iPhone 6 Plus won't arrive until sometime in November, even though I place my order 40 minutes after pre-sales went live, I figured I'll have to use my iPhone 5S for a couple of months (or at least until I can find a store to sell me an iPhone 6 Plus before my pre-ordered one arrives), I might as well do a clean install of iOS 8.

Who else (for those that will be waiting on their iPhone 6 variant or those simply not upgrading) will be doing a clean install?

2. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

I'll be doing a clean install on my 5 but only because the phone is currently on eBay and I've advertised it as coming with iOS8.

3. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

I'm on iOS 8 GM now I might do a clean install tomorrow when it releases to everyone because I didn't do a clean install before.

4. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I performed a clean install when installing iOS 8 GM.

5. Thoir macrumors member

Running a GM now. And I always do a (clean) install of the final release.
    I had the last time that I couldn't get the OTA update of 7.0.1 because I was still running iOS 7 GM.

And this time I hope they fixed those small little issues I am having in iOS 8 GM. So I can't wait for tomorrow.

6. g35 macrumors 6502a

I'm restoring my backup onto 8 right now. If it's smooth, I'll keep it. If it's stuttery, I'll try a clean install of iOS 8. And if it's still stuttery, I'll revert to my 7.1.2 backup, which should be do-able until Friday. This is on my 5.

7. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

Tomorrow when it releases and everyone that's on the GM when we connect to iTunes will it say update available still? Because then I will restore do a clean install that way.

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I just upgrade over the air as its pushed to my iPhone. I figure all the high ups in apple do the same because anything less is a pain in the ass so they ensure it should work smoothly.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I have a 5s and I'm doing a clean install. I do the same for my Mac as well once a new OS comes out.

10. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I agree with this completely. I have never done a clean install since my first iPhone. Even when I get a new phone I will restore from backup. It's simply too much work and I have not yet experienced any of the problems reported on the forums over the years.

11. bushido Suspended

bushido

i wish i could but i need my game scores saves ... wish there was a way that lets me pick what i want backed up

12. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Who's doing a clean install?

Everyone that wants to be taken seriously when they come here to report "bugs".

Restoring from backup is extremely convenient, but any problems you had before are getting restored too.

I restore from backup all the time, and I deal with whatever issues may come. What I don't do is go on Macrumors and say "iOS XX release is terrible! All the bugz!!"

13. Padmini macrumors 6502a

....there is.

Attached Files:

14. bushido Suspended

bushido

but this still leaves crap from jailbreaking unfortunately as well as iMessage data. everytime i do a restore and jailbreak again it stilll has my previous settings of the tweaks and everything even though they havent been installed since the restore yet.

a friend of mine had 8GB of unwanted iMessage trash on her iphone, we actually had to jailbreak it just to delete those iMessage files with a cleaning tweak. its kinda insane how much crap imessage leaves even after you delete a conversation

15. Padmini macrumors 6502a

That's never been my experience with deleting messages....

She may want to utilize iOS 8's auto delete function for Messages.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

DiskAid. ;)

17. bushido, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

bushido Suspended

bushido

yes we are really looking forward to this as well as finally having an easy way to see all the files we sent to each other which will make it easier to delete them without looking through the whole convo one by one. the 8GB of iMessage crap has gotten so bad that she couldnt even delete messages anymore as the iphone would freeze and crash the app. anyway getting off topic i guess :eek:

thx! trying that right now

edit: decided against a fresh install, i would lose my Gmail push

18. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

So those of you who do a clean install, how do you end up bringing back all your data? Do you simply re-download the apps from the app store and manually transfer data over from the computer?

19. 576316 macrumors 601

I never really thought of selling devices on eBay, I always go with the reuse/recycle services such as Mazuma Mobile and Envirofone. Mostly because it's just simple and quick and the pay out is usually half the price I originally paid for my iPhone. eBay has a certain risk to it, I think. I think my 5s also has a little too much cosmetic wear for me to get a higher price on eBay.

20. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Really though? I understand where you're coming from, but

1) Bugs that occur during the lifetime of an install are bugs.
    2) Bugs that are backed up and carried over into a restore are still bugs.
    3) A backup/restore process which allows this to happen, especially into a new major release, could be called... buggy.

Do you not think that the backup and restore process has to be heavily tested by Apple? Don't you think they'd be interested in getting bug reports about problems with this process?

21. iphone5s2013 macrumors member

22. Padmini macrumors 6502a

Oh yes of course. However...

Absolutely none of this applies to people who have beta versions of the OS installed, backed up, and are now restoring from backup with the GM/public release.

----------

It literally means Restoring your phone to factory settings with iTunes. After that, setting it up as a new phone, not "Restoring From BackUp".

It is a PITA, laborious process, that can result in some limited data loss if you have any Apps that don't have their own cloud backup solution. However, it is the only way to truly evaluate the performance of a new OS.

23. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I restored my 5s yesterday. I'll probably end up doing it again today.

24. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Ok, but you did address everyone, and there was no hint from OP that he was a beta tester. :)

25. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I restored from a backup, dont see the need for a clean install.