Who's dumping their ATV for Amazon Fire TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bearcatrp, Apr 2, 2014.

1. bearcatrp, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Anyone considering dumping ATV for AFTV? Looks like a hit but my only issue is no option to stream from my PC, as I do with my ATV and itunes. Will have to wait for reviews and see how it goes.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not even giving it a look... happy with my ATV

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That right there is the deal killer for me. I use the ATV extensively to stream iTunes and show Aperture photos on the TV.

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

5. jaydez macrumors newbie

No Home sharing. No AirPlay. No HBO Go!!! No way!

6. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I think you can get plex on it but not sure why anyone would want this over a roku

7. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Even if it is limited my Apple, the ATV is by far, IMO the best for someone who has an all Apple ecosystem like I do. Apple should license a AppleTV software for the PS4 and Xb1. Or maybe I should wake up because that dream ain't never gonna happen!

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm happy with my ATV and have no plans to buy the Amazon unit. All I am missing from the ATV is the Amazon Video which I get by turning on the xBox

9. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Here in Canada we don't have half the choices that you get in USA on Amazon video. Netflix is ok but still, a lot of content in not accessible. Unless one uses VPN, which I do but it doesn't have the WAF so it's a no go

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

11. SquirrelGirl macrumors member

SquirrelGirl

Yeah... No. I had high hopes for Amazon's TV device. I am a Prime member, the kids like their TV selection. But I can just Airplay the Amazon app via Apple TV. The Amazon games are of no interest. So Amazon is not drawing my attention with this device.

12. nagabalajik macrumors newbie

13. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I don't think anyone would dump ATV for FTV (or vice versa), unless they are a hobbyist and want to tinker with a new device. Both devices are still lacking in features to really hit a home run with users. My opinion is that Amazon made this device to get their foot in the door, just like why Apple made ATV. They are primed for the future when/IF they can form a partnership with a big cable outfit to deliver more content.

14. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Where I leave such a partnership will never happen, the cable and satellite company will never sign such a deal.

15. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

They may not want to, but will have to eventually. There will come a time where broadband use is higher than Cable TV. Just wait until Google gets the rights to the NFL - that will change everything.

16. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Maybe in Ontario but here in Quebec, Bell and Videotron rules and the NFL is not that popular here. Hockey is, and Bell owns the centre Bell where the Montreal Canadians plays and eventually Quebecor( videotron) will own the future Quebec City NHL Team. I know that in BC they have a lot of choices as for television services provider, but what about Toronto? How many companies are there?

17. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I dumped my ATV (which I received for a gift) and went back to an old ROKU. The Amazon Fire TV looks like it would be fine also for what I need at least if it gets plugins. The ATV is too tied into the Apple eco-system. I want Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex primarily.

18. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Airplay is the one killer feature for me that it doesn't do. Truth be told I don't use the ATV much any more, just Netflix and Airplay pretty much. Find myself using the WD Live Hub the most since it has local storage.

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No iTunes Library/Radio/AirPlay... no care.

Apple did bluetooth controllers back in December. Gaming has got to be right around the corner... got to be... :(

20. handlemyhansen macrumors member

I would be more interested if it was more similar to the roku stick device and allowed me to stream thing from my laptop.

Also for the price tag i would rather wait and see what apple has in store for the next gen ATV

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Well that discussion could go on for hours.. and you can make many valid points. I don't necessarily look to Canada for what's happening next. When the NFL's TV rights get sold to Google instead of a major cable provider, that will be the sign of the times is all I'm saying. It's a step in the direction that broadband is moving closer to surpass TV in the US household.

The data suggests that people under 30 are more likely to stream TV content and save on a cable TV bill. As that demographic grows and the older one diminishes, it's only a matter of time until Cable TV goes by the wayside. I'm already in the position to cancel my cable TV bill next year.

As for Canada, the NHL's new TV deal is also moving in that direction although Rogers has their foot in the TV door already so they are taking up both streams. I think it was the right move for them. Surviving on TV alone is risky business over the next 10 years.

22. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I use a lot of streaming services and I would cut the cable right now but because of crtc rules, a lot of US content does not cross the border. Rogers and Telus aren't present in Quebec television and ISP wise. That would great to have more choice.

23. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

A Plex app on my aTV or AirPlay on a Amazon/Roko box would make my decision really easy :D

24. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

not me.

for the price I will wait until WWDC and see if Apple shows off any new AppleTV or updates.

I don't use the AppleTV as much right now and it works for me. Perhaps an updated model will get me to buy a new one and then move this to another TV.

Would be nice to have some more channels or "Apps" for the AppleTV that I could skip paying for another cable/fios box in one room and just use this...and somehow get my local news for morning and night updates.