Who's Genuinely Excited for the 9.7" Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Traverse, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I've been reading these forums and I realize there has been a lot of negative around the new Pro due to the camera bump, price, and RAM, but I was curious how many are \ genuinely excited for this device?

I've wanted fine type stylus support for years and was so excited when Apple announced such a good implementation in the 13" Pro. Sadly that was a little too big for some users so I've been waiting for an Air 3 update and Apple finally delivered! Compared to the Air 2:

• 2x Performance with the A9X
    • Improved screen clarity with 25% greater saturation and less glare
    • Improved speakers
    • Drastically improved camera
    • Faster NAND storage
    • Apple Pencil support.

It seems to me that Apple fully delivered and I can't wait to finally get one! This is the iPad I've always wanted!

A brief note about RAM: yes, I'm disappointed with the 2GB. However, the Air 2 has 2GB which was considered the next "longevity" model, OS X only requires 2GB, and the iPhone just got 2GB so I really don't see 2GB becoming a bottleneck any time soon. My Air 2 just flew and this device is 2x the speed so it shouldn't have any difficult with future iOS versions.

What do you think about the Pro?

2. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I think the pro 9.7 is a great machine, I just feel it's a rip off price wise and that's why I brought a mini 4 today maybe returning for the air 2. The 4gb ram is for future proofing, just like 2 years ago the air 2 getting 2 gb of ram that'll carry it for another 2-3 years as a still top performer! That's a still of a deal for people who bought the air 2 on release date. Think many were hoping for this new iPad to delivery what the air 2 did when it was released, it didn't and the price went up a good bit. Too many games Apple is playing, cutting out the 64gb model and forcing people to pretty much step up to the 128gb. It's a great iPad, the Apple Pencil is awesome if you'd use it much, it's a great machine.

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I am, but I was a little less excited once I found out it was only going to have 2 GB Ram and an underclocked processor. Hopefully it won't affect most of what I want to do with it.

4. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

The 9.7" Pro, Air 2, Mini 4 and all their new iPhones all have 2GB of RAM, I doubt they will shift all of these devices off of that for quit some time and I doubt these devices will suffer from it.

I expected a less powerful CPU though. There are power and heat constraints in a smaller device. Sadly, Apple cannot yet defy the laws of physics. But the iPhone 9 will be so thin, it's width will be measured in the negatives! :eek::p

5. Gigamon macrumors newbie

The most important specs I was looking forward to in this release was:

1) A9X chip
    2) 4GB RAM
    3) Four way speakers

I've been saving up for a while my first tablet ever and I was pretty much full steam ahead with the purchase of the 9.7 Pro until I learned about it only having 2GB RAM and underclocked processor. I do feel a bit gipped that Apple decided to stick to only 2GB, I mean this is supposed to be the next generation of the 9.7', isn't it? This feels more like an iPad Air 3 and with them slapping a name "Pro", they justify charging hundreds $ extra for it. If it had 4GB RAM, it would be an easy pick up for me, but now my momentum has slowed a bit, looking at reviews here and there to justify me paying extra for what is essentially an iPad Air 3 still, because all the other "improvements" are pretty "meh" and are just a bit of quality of life changes (screen, camera and what not)

6. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I'm pretty excited. This will be my first new iPad in almost 3 years. I'm especially looking forward to the pencil. For me this will mostly be my Kindle and a portable sketchbook. The 12.9 is just too big to be a Kindle and too expensive to use only as a sketchbook. Not sure about the 2GB RAM. A little disappointed but on the other hand, my current iPad mini 2 retina has only 1GB and it's not really been a problem for me. So 2 will be a bonus

Also, the underclocked CPU is no big deal. The clock speed difference is minimal and I'm pretty sure it was done for heat reasons. And maybe battery since it's also smaller.

So at midnight+1 min. on 3/24 I'm gonna order the base 32GB wifi and the pencil.

Yay.

(And my wife is excited to get my current mini2--her first iPad)

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm excited. Haven't owned an iPad in awhile and I think this is the one. Really looking forward to drawing on it too!

People complaining about 2GB would've found something else to complain about (like the insignificant underclock or protruding camera). It's still LPDDR4, which is twice as fast as the 2GB LPDDR3 in the Air 2. That's a nice speed update in my book.

Edit- not saying 4GB isn't warranted in terms of pro app development parity or with respect to the price increase, just pointing out something people seem to be overlooking.

Also, I wish a 64GB version was still available.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I was starting to get excited about it until...

Staples has another killer deal going on this week. I just ordered a 128GB 12.9 iPad pro for $799... That's $50 more than a 9.7 Pro.

9. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

I've long ago discovered the secret to making sure I'm not disappointed with my Apple purchases: buy what you need, then stay off of MacRumors until you need to buy something else.

We currently use a five year old iPad 2 as the "living room" and "take on trips" family computer anyone can grab and use. It lags a little, and the resolution of the screen is just ok, so I've decided to replace it with the 12.9" iPad Pro. For our use case, it'll do everything we currently use our iPad 2 for, plus it is a good size for family games, and will last us another five years.

For my personal use, I have a maxed out 2011 15" MBP (replaced SuperDrive with an additional internal HDD, 16GBs RAM) that refuses to die, but is too heavy to carry around. So I got a Surface 3 for my portable computer. At the time, it was the best computer for me, with the form factor I wanted plus great input capability with their pen. I mostly use if for productivity, with OneNote as the app most used. But now, the iPad 9.7" is looking very, very nice. Especially since I'm so deeply embedded in the Google ecosystem (Goggle Drive, Waze, Play Music, Play Movies, etc) which is non-existent on the Surface except via the browser.

I worried about RAM on the Surface with it's full operating system, so I got the 4GB version. And it has worked fine. But I don't have the same concerns with the iPad Pro 9.7 as iOS apps are less RAM hungry than full programs. My Surface is a fine device, but I've come to the conclusion that what I need is a tablet that can be used as a computer (iPad Pro) more than I need a computer that can be used as a tablet (Surface).

10. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Agreed - Budget wise, at this point it makes more sense to buy the larger 12.9" model given the excellent prices now available for it. Buying the 9.7" model at launch prices doesn't make sense - the trend now seems to be for iPads to go cheap pretty fast, quite unlike iPhones.

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Wise words if you are looking forward to a purchase. But it will pass and the excitement of the new product will overtake the criticism by next Thursday.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

You have to keep in mind that "Negativiry" is also a sign of excitement by users.

People aren't upset at products they don't want. So when you see someone frustrated at the iPad Pro 9.7 then they most likely are people who would buy one IF...

And for most complaints then the issue is price vs specs. The new iPad Pro is the evolutionary successor to the Air2 yet was rebadged in order to raise prices. But just like every iPad, when the hype dies down then we'll see sales and price drops. And when that happens then people will have an easier time figuring out what its worth to them.

13. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I think we will have to see quicker price drops than waiting until Black Friday or next January sales if Apple is to shift this tablet.

I remember the 5C got off to a very slow start. iPad sales are declining and Apple bump up the price to me this seems a bad move when I see more on here wanting an older IPad than ever before?

Not sure why many are so keen to buy one now why not wait off for another 9.7" which is sure to have Force touch, usb update, new lighting and headphone port, 4K maybe 64gb entry rather than 32gb?

Problem with iPad is when all they can update is cameras and speakers you know they are out of ideas. For next IPad they have to consider a full redesign.

But at the price of the new Pro I believe this will possibly the the lowest selling ipad release to date be interesting to see how forthcoming Apple are with sales figures.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2016 ---
    I'm sure I read the larger pro has not sold that well too but I suppose it's a very high end price until it comes down I don't see lots of people walking around with larger iPads. That said not everybody will want one as big portability wise.

14. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I think you should just go ahead and get it. I mean come on man. First tablet ever? If my first tablet ever was a 9.7 iPad Pro I would freak the hell out. My first was an iPad 2 years and years and years ago and back then, tablets weren't as great as they are now. Especially for a first tablet, man...just go for it. You'll be good for a long time with this one

15. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I've been waiting to upgrade my Air for a long time. Therefore, I'm really looking forward to buying a 9.7" Pro. Most people are complaining about the price, but I paid $599 for my 32GB Air on Launch day.

(I posted this in another thread earlier)

Upgrading my iPad Air to the iPad Pro 9.7 will get me:

• 4 Speakers
    • Double the RAM
    • Touch ID
    • Wider color display
    • Several other screen upgrades (Fully laminated, Antireflective coating, etc.)
    • A9X Processor
    • 2.4x faster CPU
    • 4.3x faster graphics
    • A better camera w/ many new features (4k video, Slo-Mo etc.)
    • A camera flash (which I will often use as a flashlight)
    • Bluetooth 4.2
    • Smart Connector (even though I'll never use it)
    • Pencil Support (even though I'll never use it)

16. Loveandterror macrumors 6502

Loveandterror

Just wondering, can you connect the iPad Pro to a HDMI tv? I didn't see a connector for it in the Apple Store and don't want to buy an Apple TV.
    Maybe someone can point me in the right direction :)

17. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I was excited until I compared it to a MS Surface Pro 4 (6th gen i5 / 4GB RAM / 128GB HDD). It's $899 at the MS Store right now. Seems like a better value than the iPad Pro setup I would consider ($749 128GB + $99 Apple Pencil). Decisions decisions

18. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I went into the event thinking I'm going to watch it but I have no intention to get anything from it, just to watch only.

After watching I was excited about the iPad Pro (9.7) second I told the other half she was interested, so my plan is to buy her one, and I'll use it every now and again :p She did used to have a 2nd gen iPad but about 2 years ago we got rid of it, it was running too slow to use! So for her to get this type of iPad its going to be an upgrade and she used to love her previous iPad.

Just the specs along have impressed me, although I need to look into it because isn't there a small difference in price with the IPP (Mini) and the IPP?

19. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I still want one, and think it is a reasonably meaningful improvement over the Air 2. But the price smarts now.

I realise the 4GB is probably only necessary in the 12.9 because of the extra ram needed for the larger resolution (like when the Ipad 3 introduced retina), so it shouldn't make any difference in terms of performance - iOS will be optimised around a baseline of 2GB which is across the Air 2/pro 9.7 and all the latest iphones.

But that extra 2GB ram helped me rationalise the £100 price increase. Now we're left with 16GB extra ram which costs peanuts, a couple stupid speakers, and the tech that allows Apple to sell £200 worth of accessories to us which I don't mind functionally (I want the pencil) but I do mind paying twice for (once for the tech in the pad, once again for the accessory)

20. hanser macrumors regular

you are comparing products for different use cases. Do you want a ultrabook that can also be used as a tablet, or do you want a tablet that can also used as a ultrabook?

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Did people think it would have the same ram and same speed as the 12.9?

22. mrklaw macrumors 65816

what do you want it for? I have that exact surface pro 4 and am considering a pro (9.7 probably but maybe the 12.9 because I'm really liking the larger screen on the surface pro)

Surface pro impressions - been using it for a few weeks since selling my Air 2 in preparation for the new pro.
    - runs full windows
    - type cover isn't horrible to type on (don't like the smart cover)
    - type cover has a trackpad (I need a trackpad or mouse for several apps)
    - using as a general tablet is surprisingly fine. Browsing in chrome has smooth scrolling, and swipe for forward/back, plus good stuff like extensions and tab/bookmark sync. Snap mode means it works pretty much like side by side multitasking on ipad. With the size I often have a chrome window on the left and can be watching a video on the right or have my twitter feed up etc.

The two biggest negatives are the battery life and the touch keyboard
    - battery life. I get a lot of time out of it for a laptop, but that is still about half what I'd get from an ipad. that extra time means I can just pick up and use the ipad all day and not worry about charging. With the SP4 you probably won't make it through a day of use without needing a charger handy.
    - touch keyboard. IS HORRIBLE. There are two touch keyboards. If you are using native windows 10 (metro?) apps, then some of them support the special touch keyboard which has your expected autocorrect etc. This is kind of ok. Except not many apps support it. For web browsing you'd have to use the edge browser which is ok, but it has no extension support, and amazingly no gesture support for swipe to go back a page etc.
    - standard keyboard. This is what most of the 'normal' windows apps use, including chrome. I guess because of technical limitations with legacy apps, this literally just works like a normal keyboard but it is onscreen. So if you mess up (which I do a lot) there is no autocorrect. Typing a post like this would take me ages, as almost every other word would need correcting. I type quite quickly though and rely on autocorrect to deal with most of it.

The pen is nice and I was using it yesterday to jot some notes down and draw some stuff. But it takes a little more pressure to register a press than the apple pencil (which can register just through its own weight, literally with you barely holding it). Might not impact a lot of people but if you want to sketch lightly, it'll be a big difference.

I'm almost definitely buying a 9.7" pro. there is a small chance I buy a 12.9 instead but I think it'll be too big for casual sofa use. I don't yet know if I'm keeping the surface pro. If I do, it'll probably only be used when I need a windows PC, or perhaps when I want to watch something on a bigger screen than a 9.7" tablet. Most likely it'd end up being used as a family PC, shared with the kids for homework and that might be a waste.

sorry for the long post :p
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2016 ---
    yes? it is the same pro family as the 12.9 and the apple presentation sure made it sound like it'd be the same but smaller.

Pragmatically, after the fact - I can understand the lower clockspeeds being more practical for the smaller chassis (less battery usage, less heat to dissipate). And the 4GB ram on the 12.9 is likely an anomaly rather than a standard - it needs it for the larger resolution, where the 9.7" doesn't.

23. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Excited - no, but i do think it's a much more complete offering than the overly big 12.9 device.
    Will i get one? hmmm. i think our iPads won't be replaced any time soon.

24. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Depends on what you want it for. I actually think the surface pro 4 is a really good product. But sadly, the cons outweigh the negatives. A lot of us here have given a surface pro a try hoping it would be the all in one solution we always hoped for, only to find that we get all the problems of an actual PC.

If you want a laptop that's sometimes tablety, surface pro is the way to go. If you want the best tablet experience in the universe, there's nowhere else to even look. iPad has no competition in that area

25. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I think the former. Something that can run some light games and that's good for taking notes with a stylus. Also light sketching and photo editing too.

Does the screen on the Surface scratch easily? I intend on using the pen a lot and was wondering if a screen protector would be recommended? Thanks for your insight btw!