Who's getting the Motorola Atrix 4g?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Feb 18, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Def interested in it... but waiting to see what Apple does for the iPhone 5.... and especially if it will be LTE capable since AT&T is launching it this year (but have no idea when). Verizon already has it damn near all over, south FL is covered in it... just waiting to see what phones they have coming out for LTE in the upcoming months. I think AT&T is waaaay behind.

3. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

I'll be an observer. $700 for the phone and the dock isn't working for me.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Reviews reveal that performance while on the dock is disappointing.

That and the cost. I'd rather an iPad for that kind of money.

The residuary of my gadget heart's been stolen by webOS anyway, so any residuary interest I might have in Android has been vaporized.

5. Christian81 macrumors newbie

As a phone it looks interesting, the dock is a cool idea that is a few generations away

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I personally have no intersted in the dock feature and I think it was a gimic from day one. More of a test for a future to see how much real interest there is in the market.

It is a novel idea but no way I am going to for it.
    The phone itself really has my attention. 1950mAh batter is huge so it will have some major battery life.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Inspire 4G is a better value for money IMO, it's only 80 bucks at Costco, and while it may not be a dual core or dock to an overpriced LCD screen, it is one hell of a phone, and much easier to hack than Motorola phones.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I think the question is,

"Who really needs the Motorola Atrix 4G when the new iPad is coming out?"
    :D

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not me. It's still the same Android phone. As an iPhone user, I can't stand having to wait months to get updates. You never really know if your Android will be supported in that set of updates as well.

Oh, it has dual core though. Too bad the software isn't really optimized to take advantage of it. I'm looking for a smooth phone (OS wise) and so far iPhone does the best. Well done Apple.

Plus, if I did buy a non-iPhone phone, then I'd have to immediately by an iPod touch for my music needs :eek: . Well I guess I could just use the iPhone without a SIM, but I'd rather not carry around two phones.

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I switched to the Inspire 4G and sold my iPhone 4, it was one of the best choices I've made in a while. While I will admit Android is nowhere near as refined as iOS, it is a hell of a lot more customizable. Software wise, its just as "smooth" as iOS, there is no lag to the phone the on screen animations are great from HTC Sense, and I can Lock/Make the phone ring at full volume/message/erase and track the exact location of my phone without paying a silly fee for mobile me. Mix that with more apps that I enjoy and the HSPA+ (4G) speed of the phone and to me its leaps and bounds better than my iPhone ever was.

I use doubletwist, it syncs all my iTunes playlist to my Droid, its just the same as my iPhone was. Actually its better since this phone has SRS and Dolby Mobile, the sound quality is far superior. So unless you have to have your Apple device you in no way "need" to have one to continue to use iTunes. I still use and buy songs from iTunes today, I just use Doubletwist to sync them to my Droid. All songs you buy on iTunes are DRM free if you forgot ;)

On topic I really do not like Motoblur, and right now the only real advantage dual core on Android gives you is bragging rights since most apps are not made dual core aware. I'm sure in time it will make sense to buy a dual core phone, by then the Atrix will likely be ready for its replacement.

11. waloshin, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

The Motorola Atrix makes phone calls and can fit into your pocket. Besides how could you say no to Flash 10.1?

Google is releasing Android 2.4 probably next month to deal with dual cores.

And why do you need an ipod touch for your music when the Atrix has 16 gigabytes of ram built in with expandability up to 48 gigabytes way more then the iPhone and an ipod touch. Besides you can drag and drop your music without using the slow to load itunes.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And that is one reason why a lot of the manufactures are holding off going to 2.3.
    2.4 is still going to be called ginger bread and it mostly is to deal with the dual core issue and allow single core to work with some stuff in honey comb. It allows honeycomb apps to work on the phone line.

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Rodimus how you been?

You gotta look at the bigger picture.
    1. Dock
    - I can see MANY students with no laptop - using this laptop/dock with the Atrix and typing out full thesis' (Google Docs), attaching audio clips recorded from lectures, surfing we with Firefox (most already do anyway). Console gaming has already established itself.
    2. Phone as widget
    - the phone as a widget in dock makes data entry VERY quick especially when sourced from html on the big screen.
    though this offering by Motorola is a unique offering - its not from Google or the Android community which means updates to firmware will be slower to similar kin.

doubletwist; I found it to be a waist since only sync'ing music.
    Pictures/photos/videos NOT sync'd on the Mac into native apps (I keep those in separate folders) showed this apps weakness.

I STILL like the ability of ownership & control to manage my contact list and NOT serve it up to google. A few false attempts at your account and its locked. There goes a contact that you need sync'd until its all sorted out. Maybe I'm just too oldschool.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will tell you first off I want the Atrix and it is looking pretty likely I will get it when I become upgrade eligible in May but I still think the dock is way to gimicy and just do not see it really taking off.
    I have multiple friends in my class who the Atrix has their attention but still consider the laptop dock a gimic. They would rather own and some do own a full powered netbook over something like that dock.

Now I personally would more than likely buy the desktop dock and use that mostly as a charging pod most things because it will make a great alarm clock and I have grown use to my blackberry being a clock on its night stand.

As for my contact on google I have no issue with that but then again I already have my blackberry sync up all my contacts with my google account and I find that really convent for me to use.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

16 gigabytes of ram? hell no. Its not RAM. (I got what you are saying though).
    I don't need an iPod touch if I get an Android (obviously) but I'd like to have something I can carry around for all my apps/iTunes rental/other iOS specific media.

I wouldn't even use all the features of that phone anyways. I also like the way my iPhone syncs my contacts with my contact manager and the way it backs up my phone too.

With all that being said, I'd be interested in trying it. The Inspire looks more appealing to me though.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I want a bigger screen, but I would hate to have to root it to get stock UI and go without Netflix and Hulu. Screen is also PenTile, which may look like a screen door to some users. I'll likely end up with iPhone 5 and accept the smaller screen.

17. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Mine is being delivered tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. Also, Android is definitely getting the smoothness of iOS and the interface is just down to personal choice. I actually prefer the Android UI over iOS but again that's just a personal preference. As for 2.2 not being able to take advantage of the dual core processors, that is just misinformation. It's been stated by both Motorola and Google that it can and the benchmarks tend to show that it does. I'm sure future versions will definitely improve on that as well.

18. Highcroft macrumors regular

I have no idea why Motorola went with a PenTile screen. AMOLEDs use it so that the blue pixels won't degrade a quickly but there is no excuse to use it on an LCD. Some reviews even say that text is clearer on a 856x480 4.3" screen than the Atrix's 960x540 4".

19. Jeremy81, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011

Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Just a few observations after having it for a few days. It is very smooth and has excellent performance. Android finally seems to have the smoothness of iOS. That can only be improved with the future updates that take more advantage of the hardware. The browser is very fast and has an edge over the iPhone even while loading flash. Most apps open instantly. The Pentile display doesn't have the obvious screen door effect of AMOLEDs and fonts are not jaggy. The colors are not always entirely accurate. The camera is great but not iPhone great. It definitely could be improved to the same level with a software update but who knows if that will ever happen. The photos tend to be a little muted and sometimes the white balance may be a bit off. With indoor photos it tends to turn the ISO too high. On the other hand the video quality is excellent. They are very smooth and the recorded audio is great. This will only improve with the promised 1080p update. I love the fingerprint scanner. It makes it quick and easy to unlock the phone with one hand even while being secure. The device itself is very solid and the phone is just about the perfect size in my hand. It's very similar in size to the iPhone 3GS even while having a much larger screen. The call quality is really great and my callers have reported that it sounds great. I should note that my 3G speeds are around 3mbps down and 385kbps up. HSUPA is currently disabled. 4G is obviously not completely ready yet. It will probably be a couple of weeks before anyone can get a real idea about that. I should note that even with the same 3G speeds as my iPhone the Atrix seems to load pages over 3G much faster.

20. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

My wife just switched to the Atrix from an iPhone 3GS. She likes it so far, but I'm having to set some of it up for her. It there an Atrix/android forum much like this for her to join?

21. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502