Who's Getting Throttled(AT&T)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Sep 18, 2015.

1. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Since the 2 new policies in the one around May and the most recent one I've never been throttled or experienced my speeds being reduced. I also haven't seen anyone get throttled or speeds reduced on the internet. In fact the writing doesn't say you'll be throttled but speeds will be reduced.

There are people on this forum that claim they are being throttle. Some are saying their speeds are crippling

Prove it by posting a screen shot.

2. applegeek97 macrumors 6502a

applegeek97

This was in the middle of downtown Chicago last month. I had used about 13GB of data at that point, and my phone was basically unusable. I could restart it, and it would work again at normal LTE speeds, but a few minutes later, I would get throttled again. Hopefully these new polices fix this problem as I was just about to switch to T-Mobile, but now I will wait to see if it improves.

EDIT: I had never been throttled up until 6 months ago. I usually use 6GB-8GB of data/per month

Attached Files:

3. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

I wouldn't call that being being throttled.

4. applegeek97 macrumors 6502a

applegeek97

It would work fine after restarting at speeds around 30mbps, then a few minutes later it would slow to near zero speeds. My AT&T iPad worked great on the 5GB/per month plan around the 30mbps area. I was throttled and this has happened many times since then, and in different cities.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Posting a screenshot in no way proves that you are being throttled.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So now you only get throttled if you exceed 22GB?

7. ArchaicTZ macrumors newbie

ArchaicTZ

Call them, ask for supervisor and threaten to sue... they will stop throttling. They have lost cases because of this issue.

8. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

What did cs have to say? Cause the policy isn't being throttled but speeds being reduced.

9. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

My understanding of the FCC rules that AT&T. Agreed to is that throttling only occurs when a selected cell site is experiencing overloads. And the unlimited customer is over their monthly limit. (Was 5, now 22GB). Prior to that AT&T was throttling across the board regardless of cell site loads.

So mid town Chicago, yes I can see that being throttled at times of heavy load.

10. applegeek97 macrumors 6502a

applegeek97

They said I was being throttled due to congestion and since I was over the 5GB limit, I was first to be throttled and suggested I move to a mobile share plan to ensure I would not receive any slow downs. Speed reduction is throttling.

11. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

Is it throttling or speeds being reduced(network management)?

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Is there a difference?

13. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I have been warned on several occasions, but never ever throttled...

14. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Not to the under/customer

15. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

I get throttled every single time I pass 4-5 gigs, its ridiculous. I can't even load Apple Music songs when I'm being throttled... it takes like 3-4 minutes for a song to load. I don't know how people use netflix and youtube and all that without being throttled at all

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

AT&T is getting throttled by the thousands of people who pre ordered but not getting their phones on launch day. LOL

17. unixphone macrumors regular

This might not be relevant...
    So i started using iPhone since the original and have always wanted to know what happen if I actually keep the $20 original iPhone data plan (unlimited 2G data plan + 200 text message) instead of paying $30 for unlimited data plan.

Anyone still have the iPhone original data plan and tried to put that sim card in the new iPhone?

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That might not be such a good idea. AT&T will "upgrade" you to the $30/month for unlimited. Which is not bad... but you'd loose those 200 texts a month.

19. unixphone macrumors regular

Thats what happened to me. I got the "upgrade". Just curious anyone actually refuse the upgrade. I remember back then i received text from ATT at least once a month telling me my phone is 3g and i should change to $30 per month.

20. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Post it..... You can't sue them because they are honoring your unlimited internet..... they never promised what speed that unlimited internet would be.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

It could be they do the data intensive stuff while on their WiFi in stead of the cellular network.