Who's going to use Mobile Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtfield, Jun 13, 2008.

?

Are You Getting Mobile Me?

1. Yes, Defiantly a great companion for my iPhone and Digital Life.

108 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. Yes, because I already have .mac and just don't feel like the hassle of change

67 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. No, Liked what I saw but still isn't worth $99 a year

78 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. No, I'm still unimpressed with the whole .mac/mobile me concept

27 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Who Liked what they heard and is going for the Mobile Me service?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm going to use it, but I've had an account since iTools ...so even if they call BumBum Internet Service I'll use it.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

well i assume .mac users will continue on with their service.

Myself, im seriously considering it when i get my macbook.

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I certainly am. Having everything up-to-date, wherever I am, done automatically, is golden.

R-Fly

5. mark34 macrumors 6502a

To me it was the most impressive, and in the long run the most important, part of the announcements last week. I already really like the .mac service, particularly for web galleries and such, but this is exactly what my gadget eco-system needs. Sounds perfect!!

6. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I am most definitely getting it, it is just the solution I've been hoping for.
    Infact I've just got myself a .mac account in preperation for the change to MobileMe. (Hopefully) no more syncing headaches, and plenty of web space to boot, couldn't ask for more. Apple are sure onto a winner with this as I don't think I've read (on MR) any bad responses in respect to MobileMe.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

I might have to switch over from GMail to MobileMe. My Blackberry has spoiled me with push email.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Never needed or used my free trial of .Mac, so I have no intention of using Mobile Me. Sorry, but it's just not feasible for me. :eek:

9. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I don't need it because I will sync my e-mail, contacts, and calender for free with my Exchange server at work.

For my personal e-mail the IMAP G-Mail solution is fine, I don't need push e-mail.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm already paying £70 for 2 years internet hosting with unlimited bandwidth and near unlimited webspace. I can't imagine paying more for something less, even if it does have some nifty Push functions. I might get it but I'd rather champion Apple to get ftp support alongside .Mac/MobileMe for close iLife and OSX integration.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've been using the services since iTools was out, so I'm not gonna stop because they add more features.

12. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I have .Mac so I will be continuing it. I haven't used it enough but with the new changes I think I will be.

13. esquire360 macrumors regular

I hate .mac, the iDisk rots big time... hopefully its better

14. shecky Guest

shecky

my business partner and i will share one account mostly for push iCal and Address book. nothing else i have found can do that wirelessly or as seamlessly as MM appears to be.

15. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I saw "push".

That's enough for me.

Anyway, should I get the free 60 days of .mac now? From what the mobileMe page on Apple.com, if I get the trial now, then when it transitions, I get both a @mac.com email AND a @me.com (of course I'm assuming they're linked to the same box...if that's the case, do MobileMe users also get the @mac? or just those who got .mac before? If it's the latter, I will definitely activate my 60 day trial now [can't decide between the two...so if I get both...=)...problem solved])?

16. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I'm sure MobileME will be defiant in its greatness.

17. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Wow, I'm really surprised at how popular MobileMe is out of everyone. I reckon I'll be getting it when I start traveling in about a year. It would be great keeping in touch with the fam, especially seeing as they have an AppleTV.

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I will use it. Also has anyone noticed their iDisk being exceptionally faster? I rebooted my machine to make sure it just wasn't cached. :eek: Contextual menus are a little slow, but navigating it was a 100x better experience.

19. TaxMac macrumors newbie

eh, I already have a .mac account so I will give it a try. I am not expecting too much though

20. Rigsby macrumors regular

I've never understood the need for push email. If someone needs to get me urgently they can call and I'll catch up on email when it's convenient for me - but perhaps that's the GTD nerd in me.

I have always liked .Mac though, the syncing feature alone is worth the price for me, and I'm hoping MobileMe's push syncing is a bit more reliable than .Mac's version.

21. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I've been using .mac for a while now and very happy with it so I will continue to subscribe to it.

22. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I have .Mac already, so it's a no-brainer. I wonder how much better the photo galleries feature will be. From the video, it looks fantastic! :cool:

23. elbirth macrumors 65816

The purpose of push email doesn't necessarily have to do with urgency of email. While, yes, some people do require getting their email ASAP for whatever reason, one of the biggest pros is that you can stop having your mobile device query the email server every X number of minutes. If you don't get a ton of email, this is great because it will begin to save small amounts of battery life that will add up. Say you have your device check for email every 10 minutes, but you may not get but a handful of emails in an entire day. Why tax the battery and have the device connect to a server, check, and then disconnect? Instead, if an email comes in, the email server will send out a notification and that's that. It may not be *that* much battery life saved, but every bit adds up.

As for me... I do like the whole idea of Mobile Me, but I honestly have very little use for it. I work from home so I'm not always ending up on various computers, and I don't add new contacts frequently enough to where I need all of my devices updated on the fly. I just can't justify throwing away $99 every year on something that would purely be a novelty for me. I use Gmail, which is free, and I have my own webspace that I pay less for in a year and have vastly more storage than what Mobile Me offers... I can put up photo albums made in iWeb and don't need to do it while on the go. At the most, I could see myself uploading directly to Flickr from my iPhone, but even then, I wouldn't do that too much.

24. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

While most consumers don't believe they need to be synchronized across platforms, keep in mind that in 1985, when I got my first cellphone, few people thought they needed a mobile phone too. The mere fact that your e-mails, contacts and appointments are always up-to-date and synched wirelessly is perhaps the single, biggest leap forward in computing.

I'm even willing to bet that MobileMe may well be the defining app that vaults Apple way beyond the Windows platform. I can't see business execs from all walks of life not falling in love with its simplicity and gorgeous AJAX features. :cool: