Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are You Getting Mobile Me?

• Yes, Defiantly a great companion for my iPhone and Digital Life.

Votes: 108 38.6%
  • Yes, because I already have .mac and just don't feel like the hassle of change

Votes: 67 23.9%
  • No, Liked what I saw but still isn't worth $99 a year

Votes: 78 27.9%
  • No, I'm still unimpressed with the whole .mac/mobile me concept

Votes: 27 9.6%

• Total voters

werkedm3

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Gonna try it out, if I can make it work with my gmail account, I'll probably sign up for it.

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I will use it. Also has anyone noticed their iDisk being exceptionally faster? I rebooted my machine to make sure it just wasn't cached. :eek: Contextual menus are a little slow, but navigating it was a 100x better experience.

Yes I've been experiencing it running much quicker too, for the past few days I haven't had a single "closing file" issue when uploading to my public folder... I hope this remains true!!!

Just wanted to add a thanks for everyone who took this poll, The results were very interesting too me. It looks like apple has defiantly fixed/added the services that people thought would make mobile me worth it!

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
i think push is the only reason why I am going to try Mobile Me... if all goes well I might keep it :)

srent5

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
CA
I had a .mac account but never renewed because it just wasn't worth the $99, however, I will definitely be renewing it for mobile me.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Yeah I definitely never found it being worth 100 bucks a year. You could get the same service they (.mac) offer for FREE. But with Push it should be a lot more worth it :)

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I am going to use it, looks like a great service. I always forget to synch my iPhone so this will be so helpful

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Since I've been a happy .Mac user for years AND I took a look at Mobile Me and liked it . . . . . I'm looking forward to the transition :D

BTW, I'm really not defiant but I selected this one (for my vote) any way LOL

"Yes, Defiantly a great companion for my iPhone and Digital Life. "

Walter P Henson

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
I currently have an unactivated subscirption to .mac that i got with my MBP. If i activate this now will it automatically transfer my account to mobileme when it debuts or what will happen with that?

GuntherS

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Belgium
I've never used .Mac before but I'm thinking to get MobileMe because I'm planning to get a new MacBook for school and an iPhone 3G. At home, I have an iMac so it would be great if all devices are synchronized with each other.

@ Walter P Henson: That's right. .Mac will automatically be converted to MobileMe with no extra costs. You will be able to keep the @mac.com mail address, but you'll also get a @me.com address.

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
I currently have an unactivated subscirption to .mac that i got with my MBP. If i activate this now will it automatically transfer my account to mobileme when it debuts or what will happen with that?

Yeah. Also if you sign up now you will get a .mac address and a .me address. Not sure if you'll still get the .mac after it changes.

However I don't think get get a subscription to it with a computer, just a trial.

I'm gonna try it out, if the push works well I might keep it.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
But again, the perfection would be reached with a mere option to be able to customize the from-line in the iPhone or on the webmail with my personal domain email address...

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
To me it was the most impressive, and in the long run the most important, part of the announcements last week. I already really like the .mac service, particularly for web galleries and such, but this is exactly what my gadget eco-system needs. Sounds perfect!!

Completely agree with this.

I have had .Mac since I got my first Mac and love it. And the new features (especially since iPhone is now coming to Canada) look just great.

Can't wait.

Cheers.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I didn't vote because I am not sure yet. I have had .mac for almost a year now and have not been very impressed by the reliability/availability of the service. Mail has been either completely down or partially hindered in some way several times, sync sometimes messes up my bookmarks and contacts, etc, etc, etc. I have seriously considered not renewing my family pack. Why should I think that MobileMe will be any better? Perhaps they are handing the whole thing over to Google?

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I didn't vote because I am not sure yet. I have had .mac for almost a year now and have not been very impressed by the reliability/availability of the service. Mail has been either completely down or partially hindered in some way several times, sync sometimes messes up my bookmarks and contacts, etc, etc, etc. I have seriously considered not renewing my family pack. Why should I think that MobileMe will be any better? Perhaps they are handing the whole thing over to Google?

No, google has had no part in mobile me... but I have confidence that this revamp will improve all the features and reliability mostly because apple hasn't been shy about admitting that .mac is not the service they were hoping it'd be and they knew it had problems which is why instead of little fixes they put their energy towards a total revamp, and they know that this service is what people want and will take off..if it is done well... if it has issues like .mac people are going to drop it and that will be their third strike.. so i have confidence this service will be greatly improved.. if not then i'm going to drop it as well... but i'm not thinking i will have to.. I'm lucky tho because my .mac membership goes through the end of july so i'll get a good chance to test it out and see if it meets my expectations which are set HIGH after the .mac disappointment

themightyspitz

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Absolutely getting it for two reasons. First, because I'm getting a desktop iMac and iPhone in addition to my Macbook, and push contacts, emails, and calendars will be invaluable. Second, because that large file sharing thing is beautiful. That feature alone is worth the price of $99 a year to me. In the end, that's just shy of 3 cents per day.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
mobile me looks amazing, although the most useful feature for me would be to sync docs between comps (and one day iphone/ipt)

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Calendar Sync

The thing that makes me happy is the ability to sync my contacts and calendars. I'm always updating one or the other, and it's annoying when the iPhone and the computer don't match. .Mac email has always seemed a little flaky to me, though, so I don't use it much.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
i've been using plaxo to sync my contacts and calendar amongst my various computers and find its 100 precent accurate and its free. for push email i'm using yahoo which is also free. i'm cheep.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
Does anyone know if you can, with the current dot mac, change your "reply to" address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.