Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I feel the speakerphone sucks and using the phone as a regular phone I can barely hear anything. I use the speakerphone as a regular phone.

I wish they invested a bit more into the speaker or maybe I have a bad speaker.

However, everyone has been impressed with my own voice quality on the other end.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I've got a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow concerning this. My speaker phone volume is unusable and normal phone mode is quiet and makes a "zzzz" noise when people talk at a decent level.

I meant to talk to my bosses about their iPhones to see how they were.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
For me the call volume is good. The speakerphone is barely louder than listening with the headset. I get the feeling that these speakers have a range of output, so there is variable results in volumes...

sikuss

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
the volume on the phone sucks, plain and simple. I have found myself using the headphones as this is the only way I can hear anything whilst walking around in the city.

Speakerphone is useless.

They need to find a way to fix this!

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I'm one of those with a perfectly loud iPhone. I can easily hear someone while driving with all the windows down. That said, the ringtone is a bit quiet. It's strange, some videos and music are blaring loud yet the ringtone is quiet - hmmm.

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I notice music comes in loud and clear through the speakers, but call volume via speaker phone and built-in earpiece is not as loud as I'd like. Using the earphones for conversations is great. Ringtones aren't loud enough either.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Mine depends on the person calling. Some people it's WAYYYYY too loud and some folks I can barely hear. Volume at about 60%.

JSmoove05

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2007
For me speaker volume is ok not that loud but talking volume is really really low almost like you cant hear anything and I have it on max settings.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Mine is way load without any issues that your discussing...Infact in the car Im having to turn the volume down...I was worried about this prior to buying the phone and not testing one but working out great

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
my speakerphone is great. i use it exclusively when making calls. its loud and clear for me.

i have used the headphones to listen to voice mail, the volume is fine.

i haven't had extended conversations without the headphones so i can't tell yet.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I am another whos iPhone is a bit to low for my liking. The regular volume could be louder, and the speakerphone is barely useable. The headphones however sound great, but does anyone think there is a bad batch of them that were produced?

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
My speaker (if you can call anything small enough to fit in an iphone a speaker) volume is low on speakerphone but can be very loud on various other sources, like video,

It probably is a scaling issue between apps and not a hardware issue.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
I am another whos iPhone is a bit to low for my liking. The regular volume could be louder, and the speakerphone is barely useable. The headphones however sound great, but does anyone think there is a bad batch of them that were produced?

I thought something was wrong with mine until I found the separate speaker volume that only works during calls, now I'm happy with all aspects of the phone :)

The voice quality is leaps and bounds over my Motorola v325 with Verizon Service

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I agree with the majority. Speaker is almost useless for me. During a call, I could use at least 3 or 4 notchs more. I have it maxed out and too hear in the car, I need to roll the windows up or forget it. I never have it set lower than max. The headset works like a charm, but i feel it's unsafe with 2 earbuds stuck in my ears drowning out other noise while driving and it looks retarded to have one hanging. Thank god this phone has a vibrate feature otherwise I would miss calls all the time.

Today I went to my local apple store to compare my phone to some they had in the store. Going into the settings and playing back the ringers as well as playing music through the speaker netted the same results. I guess this is how it's going to be unless they can turn up the volume via a software update.

Lot's of fun to type long posts on the iphone though! Helps me to master the keyboard. My brother makes fun of me flayling away on the keyboard with my thumbs.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I thought something was wrong with mine until I found the separate speaker volume that only works during calls, now I'm happy with all aspects of the phone :)

The voice quality is leaps and bounds over my Motorola v325 with Verizon Service

What did you do differently? I had the same Motorola phone with Verizon and my iPhone's volume is not nearly as loud. I have all the volume settings set to the highest they go.

AtariAge

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
I've experimented with the speakerphone and it's been fine for me, even when in the car. The normal speaker (when you hold the phone up to your ear) is also plenty loud. Definitely sounds like there are some variances with phones out there..

..Al

JSmoove05

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2007
The volume of the call is located on the left side of the phone correct? I have it on the max and it is extremely low for a phone.

seanpholman

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Coming from Blackberry, my volume is great. I have no complaints, in fact it is louder than I expected. Speaker phone volume could be louder, though.

--Sean

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
My speaker volume and the volume in general (other than headset) left something to be desired. However, on a whim and a bit out of curiosity, I decided to try restoring the iphone in itunes. I haven't tried a call yet (it's 1:40 AM EST) but my other volumes SEEM to be significantly greater. I am in my bedroom and it is pretty quiet right now. I'll check it more thoroughly at work but I'm very optimistic. And, very nicely, iTunes remembers ALL of your iPhone settings, right down to what you had synced as well as the phone settings you have changed from the defaults. That's really really cool; you just hook up your iphone, tell it to restore, and let it sit for 15 min-30 minutes.
If anyone else wants to try, you don't have anything to lose. Who knows, maybe you'll get some better volume to boot! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.