Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Not sure yet...talked to my friends yesterday, he wasn't loud enough, but he doesn't talk to loud on the phone.

Other then that, I haven't had any problems

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
The ear piece volume has been pretty good for me. At first, it took me a while to figure out exactly how to position the phone at my ear to get maximum volume while still blocking external noise.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
My MAJOR disappointment with my phone (other than the SLOW Edge network) is the ring volume and speaker phone volume. I can probably live without the speaker phone, but I'm missing most of my calls cuz I can't hear the phone ring when it's in my pocket. I never thought Apple could be worse than my Razr, but this volume really is.

I took it in to the store and was told it was within spec. I hope they fix this really soon cuz it's one of the reasons I'm telling my friends to wait before getting one.

Hey I'll trade you my Razr for your iPhone if it is giving you trouble. I could use another iPhone and I sure would like to recycle that old Razr.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
I brought my phone into the Apple store today and compared it with the ones they had on the floor. They all had very similar low ring volumes as mine does. Guess it's just the phone and nothing wrong with mine.

It's sad that even at the loudest setting, the sound of it vibrating on a table is as loud as the ringtone for incoming texts. :rolleyes: I don't even hear text messages if my phone is on my coffee table in front of me and I have the TV on.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Volume has to be bumped up on EVERYTHING! Apple please tell me you're listening.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Volume has to be bumped up on EVERYTHING! Apple please tell me you're listening.

245px-Applecorps.jpg

"I'm listening"

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
when I was on a call today using the headphones, sound was echoing, but that is the only call i've used them for so i will have to see if it happens with other people. Everyone says they can hear me great, but I don't always hear them that well with the phone to my head. I have the volume cranked (i think). Will have to see what it is like with bluetooth, but I like it to be real clear and loud when I hold it to my head. I have a powersupport crystal film over the screen, but the cutout for the ear speaker is bigger than the speaker, and doesn't cover it at all. I could try repositioning it or testing with it off, but I doubt that's it. And I agree that it doesn't ring loud enough. I have the marimba all the way up.

kdarling

macrumors P6
You almost get the feeling that someone accidentally swapped a part during assembly for a portion of the phones that went out.

(I've seen it before... the wrong resistor gets put into the parts hopper. And nowadays with surface mounted parts, it's really difficult to repair.)

Heck, we discovered that our assembly line workers were hiding M&M's in the parts bins since they weren't allowed to snack on the job. Found it out when a manager grabbed a handful of parts and they melted in his hand :p

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I'm one of those with a perfectly loud iPhone. I can easily hear someone while driving with all the windows down. That said, the ringtone is a bit quiet. It's strange, some videos and music are blaring loud yet the ringtone is quiet - hmmm.

The iPhone has different volume settings for ringer, iPod, and in-call volume. It also has different volume settings for iPod/in-call for different outputs (headphones, handset, line out).

I think the problem is that there is no intuitive way that I have found to figure out which one you are adjusting at any one time, with two exceptions:

- The current output is the one that gets adjusted by the volume buttons.
- Ringer volume is being adjusted when you see 'ringer' in the volume bezel.

jdizzle

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
speakerphone on iPhone=useless

speakerphone on iPhone absolutely useless. i often use speaker to check voicemail while driving...not so on iPhone...this speakerphone issue was just one in a long list that drove me to return iPhone after 3 days of misery and regret!

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Heck, we discovered that our assembly line workers were hiding M&M's in the parts bins since they weren't allowed to snack on the job. Found it out when a manager grabbed a handful of parts and they melted in his hand :p

Those weren't M&Ms. M&Ms melt in your mouth, not in your hand!

Icebird

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
speakerphone on iPhone absolutely useless. i often use speaker to check voicemail while driving...not so on iPhone...this speakerphone issue was just one in a long list that drove me to return iPhone after 3 days of misery and regret!

Yeah, but with Visual Voicemail you shouldn't need to check Voicemail while driving ;)

You could also just use the iPhone's headphones while you're in your car. That would be the simplest solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.