Who's happy with their new 8?

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Came from an iPhone 6, ordered on pre-order day and received one on the release date. The order went the smoothest ever - all of 2 minutes on the using the Apple Store app. What I got - for the so-called "boring" phone - was wireless charging (very convenient), raise to wake (can't believe how valuable this has been), a better camera, force touch, water resistance, "Hey Siri", a much better camera with image stabilization, brighter screen, much, much faster CPU, and probably the best of all has been the improved quality and louder sound from stereo speakers. The speakerphone and earpiece are finally clear on calls.

That's a pretty large set of enhancements for a phone that gets such a bad rap by everyone. And while yes, it has a home button, and no, there's no notch, it's pretty darn good.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I'm very happy with my 8. It's not much different from what my 7 was but I get to use the wireless charger that's been sitting in a drawer for about a year.
It seems not a lot of folks are very excited about wireless charging, but I've found it incredibly convenient to set the phone on the pad and be done. No more fumbling in the dark for the connector, and no more wearing out Lightning cables.

Reactions: rmeadejr

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Got my 8 shortly after launch and have had zero real issues with it. The fingerprint sensor has only failed to unlock on the first try once so far which is very welcome.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Got my 8 shortly after launch and have had zero real issues with it. The fingerprint sensor has only failed to unlock on the first try once so far which is very welcome.
Yes, forgot to mention that the sensor compared to the 6 is not only much more accurate, but also much faster to register. And I actually like the solid-state button with the taptic feedback. It feels like a real button click so much that if the phone is off and I forgot, I'm surprised that the button doesn't actually move when pressed.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
It seems not a lot of folks are very excited about wireless charging, but I've found it incredibly convenient to set the phone on the pad and be done. No more fumbling in the dark for the connector, and no more wearing out Lightning cables.
I'm over the moon about it, honestly. Prior to this I had an Apple dock and getting the phone on that thing in the dark was a nightmare. So nice to be able to mindlessly set it down on the red dot and carry on with my rituals.

Reactions: blairian89

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
I am really happy with my 8 and 8 Plus.

They're a lot like the 7, but the nicer screen (with TrueTone), wireless charging, and blazing fast chipset sealed the deal for me.

It's well worth upgrading to the 8 or 8 Plus if the X is not for you.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think the iPhone 8 is a solid device. I think it has a lot of the same features internally of the iPhone X and still retains the form factor that most wanted or appreciate. And of course, it has touch ID for those who are not prepared to migrate away from or are interested in Face ID.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I am really happy with my 8 and 8 Plus.

They're a lot like the 7, but the nicer screen (with TrueTone), wireless charging, and blazing fast chipset sealed the deal for me.

It's well worth upgrading to the 8 or 8 Plus if the X is not for you.
Forgot about TrueTone! It works well. No more getting blasted with blue light.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Forgot about TrueTone! It works well. No more getting blasted with blue light.
Went for a 6 to an 8+ and I love it.
Turned off TrueTone almost immediately though. To me it just makes everything look yellow, like Nightshift, which I also turned off right away.

nviz22

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2013
I have a Note 8 and absolutely love it. Only use my iPad now for iOS. If I had to choose one of the latest iPhones, I would've gone iPhone 8 regular since it is the most affordable option.

dseg42

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Pretty sure the processor, camera, and all that are the same on the 8 and 10.
I think the $400 premium just comes from the facial feature and the screen differences.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I love mine. I had to exchange one right after launch day but the new one is flawless. I love the glass back and with the added weight it feels like a phone to me again. I also love the A11 bionic processor. The phone absolutely flies. I prefer Touch ID so for me this was a good upgrade rather than getting the X.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Came from an iPhone 6, ordered on pre-order day and received one on the release date. The order went the smoothest ever - all of 2 minutes on the using the Apple Store app. What I got - for the so-called "boring" phone - was wireless charging (very convenient), raise to wake (can't believe how valuable this has been), a better camera, force touch, water resistance, "Hey Siri", a much better camera with image stabilization, brighter screen, much, much faster CPU, and probably the best of all has been the improved quality and louder sound from stereo speakers. The speakerphone and earpiece are finally clear on calls.

That's a pretty large set of enhancements for a phone that gets such a bad rap by everyone. And while yes, it has a home button, and no, there's no notch, it's pretty darn good.
I'm not here to bash the iPhone 8. It's the right phone for a lot of people, just not me. I understand you're upgrading from the 6, and all the features you listed are improvements. But virtually all those benefits were also present on the iPhone 7. My problem with the 8 is not that it's a bad phone; it's still one of the best phones on the market. My problem with it is that it doesn't seem worthy of being called the 8. It feels like a 7S.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I'm not here to bash the iPhone 8. It's the right phone for a lot of people, just not me. I understand you're upgrading from the 6, and all the features you listed are improvements. But virtually all those benefits were also present on the iPhone 7. My problem with the 8 is not that it's a bad phone; it's still one of the best phones on the market. My problem with it is that it doesn't seem worthy of being called the 8. It feels like a 7S.
Wireless charging, True Tone display, 4K recording at 60 fps, A11 Bionic processor with Neural Engine, Portrait Lighting, Glass back with easier grip, less prone to scratches - all of these benefits can be found on iPhone 7?

Reactions: Bethanie21

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017
It would’ve sold well if they just simply tweak the design a little bit. Screen size can be the same but maybe in a shorter body, or just add a stainless steel edge like the 10.
It’s a really capable phone, super powerful CPU plus great camera. A mis-opportunity for Apple. I know it’s a backup plan just in case they can’t make enough 10, in the same time they also afraid if they made it too good it might cannablized the sales of the 10. There is too much strategic thinking behind this decision end up hurting themselves.