Who's jumping from T-Mobile USA? When?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gkarris, Oct 5, 2011.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, like when Apple dropped the optical drive from the latest Mini, the lack of the iPhone on T-Mobile USA shows where they are at - waiting to be bought or waiting to fail (with more people leaving for the iPhone, free 3GS or the latest 4S).

I'm going to miss T-Mobile - they're awesome (still using my original 4Gig iPhone).

Anyone find the best deal?

When? Jump now or wait until the iPhone 5 and see what AT&T does to try to keep T-Mobile customers?

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Yeah, Tmobile is going to bleed for this. I predict a lot will flock to Sprint.

3. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Perhaps for the iphone 5 but absolutely not for the 4S.

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I am currently with T-Mobile on a non-smartphone. I will probably buy the 4S with at&t. And instead of paying $30 a month, I'll be paying $60+ a month. Smartphones are total rape on the monthly price.

5. Greg M macrumors 6502

Tempted but my service and plan from T-Mobile Far outweigh the cost of the iPhone with other carriers. No one comes close to unlimited everything including hotspot for $79 a month. Let's me use my iPad and MBA on 4g.

I might get a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and use it on T-Mobile but I'm not switching.

6. kcmo macrumors member

I'm jumping ship!

I've been with T-Mobile for over 9 years and have been primarily a Blackberry user, though I have tried Windows and Android.

I'm tired of waiting for T-Mobile to get the iPhone! Yes it sucks that I'll give up my great rate plan, but I'm tired of them being left behind when it comes to phones. They're all about Android now and I'm not.

Will be porting my number to AT&T for the iPhone 4S!

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

ME!

But I will be getting WAL-MART service!

Friend unlocked his 4, and runs on Wallymart (which is on TM network, but for less).

Likely get the 4.

8. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I got the iPhone 4 today for the discounted price, ported my number from t-mobile to AT&T. For me, its affordable. I'm still saving up money while living at home, and 90 bucks a month is not bad. I'm gonna exchange for the 4S next week, for no charge.

9. toiday macrumors regular

I'm using iPhone 4 with gevey sim on T-Mobile network. You can't beat the $50/month unlimited talk, text, and data. For those who wants to jump to another carrier just for the 4S and have never use iPhone before, here are a few things to consider:

- I use the phone for work and I have thousands of emails each day. I wished iPhone mail client could create mail filters and alert policies. This is a feature on BlackBerry. For example, I need to pay attention to the emails with "High Priority" so I would create a policy for them with a ring tone.
    - iPhone can't filter un-read emails
    - I wished iPhone have an one-touch dialing meeting place in Calendar. For those who are not familiar with this feature in BlackBerry, with one click, the BlackBerry will dial the meeting main number, wait for the prompt then dial the meeting ID. This is very useful when you're driving...
    - I wished the iPhone doesn't have to tie in to one iTune. Shortly after I got my iPhone 4, my MacBook crashed and I don't have a backup. My company has to send me a new MacBook but I have lost the content of my iPhone 4 when I sync it to the new iTune. Hopefully, with iOS 5 and iCloud, this would not be an issue.
    - I missed the ability to share files with friends. With Android phone, you can just connect to any computer's USB and you phone become a store device.

10. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Looks like Sprint will keep its $70/month 450 minutes w/ Unlimited Text/Data for now - thinking about that - the unlimited text/data would be nice with the 4S...

11. Agent-P, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm currently with T-Mobile with an HD2 and the news of an iPhone 4S rather than an iPhone 5 wasn't to my needs. So now I'm gonna support two underdogs by renewing my T-Mobile contract with a new Windows Phone Mango device when they're released in about a month. Maybe next year with the next iPhone I'll make my way back. But for now my phone will continue to remain a Microsoft phone. I'll still have plenty of Apple in my life with my MBP, iPad 2, old 3GS, and many iPods.

12. scott523, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

scott523 macrumors 6502a

I'm jumping ship as well to AT&T.

Lost count of how long I've been with T-Mobile but I'm also tired of waiting for the iPhone to reach T-Mobile. I'll miss the great $100 family plan I'm paying but I'll miss Steve Jobs more and it would be wrong to wait another year.

So in honor of Steve Jobs, I will be getting the iPhone 4S.

13. sam2428 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat...I'm going to switch from my family plan too. I'm in a weird situation though...my line is on a different upgrade cycle as the other line in the family plan. Does anyone know the best way to handle the situation? If i leave, the other line will either be stuck paying through the contract term or the ETF i guess...

I wonder if that other line can jump onto a family plan with someone else, some how? Anyone have any insight?

14. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

That's right sign onto AT&T's expensive plans before the takeover.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Exactly. I would say don't jump ship and abandon T-Mobile to be eaten up by AT&T. But if you want the iPhone badly enough then I will say go with either Verizon or Sprint. Don't give AT&T a reason to have more customers AND have a real reason to acquire T-Mobile.

16. macinnv macrumors regular

Yeah to jump to an iPhone carrier would cost me probably an additional $30-40 per month plus device. The differences between Android and iPhone isnt worth it anymore for me. A year ago I should have but now Android is catching up in usability. I'll just wait until the merger completes and grandfather into an iPhone keeping my current plan.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Im not switching. Best rates going and have unlimited everything and will with them 7 years come Thanksgiving.

Had an iPhone for two years on T-Mobile and most likely wont be going back since Android has worked well for me and does more so i dont care that they arent getting the iPhone.

18. maladjusted macrumors newbie

I agree on every point -- well, except for the blackberry part, i just couldn't get used to it. Anyway, yeah, T-Mo is all about android and i'm not, either.

I've tried to get used to android but i just couldn't -- every other piece of technology i own is apple, and the iPhone would just sync, where android doesn't. I'm not that technologically proficient, and iPhone seems to me to just work without so much work on my part.

My decision is do i want to get an unlocked iPhone 4 now and use it on Edge only for the 10 months left on my contract or bite a big bullet and get the phone and accompanying service i want, starting now (or next week)?

19. Greg M macrumors 6502

Well I went and ordered the 4s for everyone in the family. After examining what I was paying for 4 phones through T-Mobile compared to 4 iPhones through Sprint it came out to only $10 more per month. Seemed like a no brainer and the kids overwhelmingly considered it a no brainer.

I'm going to miss T-Mobile. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake.