Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I've got the iPad Air 1 and am tempted to move up to the new 9.7 Pro.

Most of the reviews either compare it to the Air 2, or an older iPad, so I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of anyone who has upgraded from the Air 1.

I generally use my device for
- Web browser
- Bit of social media
- Newspapers....I use The Times / Sunday Times App a lot (thinking less reflective screen may help here)
- Various photo sharing stuff as both I and a few friends are into photography. I do my editing on the laptop though
- Bit of Netflix

In terms of speed / screen quality (glare and true tone) is there a noticeable difference between the two. The raw Benchmark scores are all well and good, but I'm more interested in the real life experience.

I know an upgrade is not essential, but I do fancy the idea of maybe getting the pencil to get back into sketching, which i did years ago. That might be me just thinking of ways to justify the purchase though.

Cheers

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Most of the reviews either compare it to the Air 2, or an older iPad, so I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of anyone who has upgraded from the Air 1.

- Web browser
- Bit of social media
- Newspapers....I use The Times / Sunday Times App a lot (thinking less reflective screen may help here)
- Various photo sharing stuff as both I and a few friends are into photography. I do my editing on the laptop though
- Bit of Netflix

In terms of speed / screen quality (glare and true tone) is there a noticeable difference between the two. The raw Benchmark scores are all well and good, but I'm more interested in the real life experience.

I know an upgrade is not essential, but I do fancy the idea of maybe getting the pencil to get back into sketching, which i did years ago. That might be me just thinking of ways to justify the purchase though.

Cheers

Justify the Purchase let me help you in 3 ways #1. It includes Full Microsoft Office since Microsoft Allows Devices smaller than 10 inches to use Office for Free fully. #2. Its a Tax write off since its now used for Work Purposes Word Excel etc. if you are in the US that is make sure you are A. Self incorporated B.. Have a Good tax accountant.

#3. I will lump all this together
Its actually Not a 64GB iPad Air 2 is only $499. Now if you want to be a Boss and flaunt your status symbol iPad Pro 9.7
its 32GB less but you get
-better battery life
-a crazy fast device A9X CPU which is faster than some Core i5's
-the best display on the market 500 nits brightest ever
- 25% better colors
- reduced glare
- Apple Pencil support
- smart keyboard
- 2GB DDR4 RAM
- Amazing Audio in a portable device
- The best WiFi
and more

So for me the Trade offs are worth it its actually a huge upgrade. I paid $529 thats for 32GB iPad Pro 9.7 that just $30 bucks more than what everyone loved a 16GB iPad Air 2 just a year ago for all these improvements and 16GB's more all for just $30 more. So I got all the improvments above and 16GB free for $30 bucks thats not even lunch at Cheesecake Factory.

Stageshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Central UK
I have gone from 32Gb Air 1 to 128 Pro 9.7

Just unboxing it now will upload my thoughts later after the backup has restored

Mainly use it on the road for work photographing coffee machines and uploading reports.

Found the Air 1 getting a little sluggish so hoping this is an all new level of speed.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The iPad Air 2 would have been a big upgrade over the iPad Air, so the Pro definitely would be. With the Air only having 1GB of RAM, you'll instantly notice a huge improvement with the Pro.

sslade6752

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
I upgraded from an 32 gig At&T air 1 that I brought over to t-mobile iPad pro 9.7 I got last night. really impresed blown away by the speed and general snappiness of how things work and the true side by side multitasking. did some benchmarks with Basemark last night before I drop the ipad air off at the post office to be sent to gazelle

image2.PNG
image1.JPG

Reactions: mindquest

scribbledpaper

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016

- Web browser
- Bit of social media
- Bit of Netflix

Cheers

I am upgrading from an Air 1 64GB to the new Pro with 256GB. I will be getting it at noon today. It feels like Christmas. I can't wait!

Reactions: baypharm

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I am upgrading from my Air 1 and the Pro should arrive today. I am very much looking forward to to since I will be able to use Split View multitasking. I would upgrade if I were you.

Reactions: Hevelius and tgara

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I have gone from 32Gb Air 1 to 128 Pro 9.7

Just unboxing it now will upload my thoughts later after the backup has restored.

This is exactly the upgrade that I may do, so very interested to see what you come back with after the restore.

I upgraded from an 32 gig At&T air 1 that I brought over to t-mobile iPad pro 9.7 I got last night. really impresed blown away by the speed and general snappiness of how things work and the true side by side multitasking. did some benchmarks with Basemark last night before I drop the ipad air off at the post office to be sent to gazelle

The Benchmark thing is ok, but I do sometimes wonder how they transfer to the real world experience. Would I notice the difference in web scores for example...what does going from 992 to 1186 really mean? Looking at the numbers, it suggests it's 19.6% better, but what does that really mean to me as a user? I'm find your statement that you are 'blown away by the speed and snappiness' of it far easy to relate to.

I am upgrading from my Air 1 and the Pro should arrive today. I am very much looking forward to to since I will be able to use Split View multitasking. I would upgrade if I were you.

I hadn't really considered the split screen option.....cheers for that....

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
The ability to hold the device in the current generation vis-a-vis the iPad 1 alone is reason to upgrade IMHO.

With the speed, screen, thinness, sound, and lighter weight, it will be like a whole new type of device. I think it'll be an amazing transition.

Reactions: baypharm

Stageshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Central UK
This is exactly the upgrade that I may do, so very interested to see what you come back with after the restore.

The Benchmark thing is ok, but I do sometimes wonder how they transfer to the real world experience. Would I notice the difference in web scores for example...what does going from 992 to 1186 really mean? Looking at the numbers, it suggests it's 19.6% better, but what does that really mean to me as a user? I'm find your statement that you are 'blown away by the speed and snappiness' of it far easy to relate to.

I hadn't really considered the split screen option.....cheers for that....

Well had it up and running for an hour now.

1st. Chrome is so much smoother than on the Air 1. I am not getting page crashes and dropouts when uploading job photos and reports.. So for me that is a bonus.

The screen well to be honest it looks like the Air 1. I cant say its a great deal better but then there was nothing wrong with the air 1.

It feels a bit lighter and thinner but will be in a case so no difference there really

Speakers. yes it has them and they work, do they sound better, well to me not really still small tinny speakers.

So far its a massive upgrade storage wise (We had 1 32gb Wifi and LTE and 1 16Gb Wifi & LTE) so now with 128gb each we can store a load more stuff which will be nice.

But do I feel its a massive step up.

NO

I can feel the extra RAM but would have got that with the AIR2

If I had an Air2 I dont think it would have been time to upgrade but from the AIR1 it is, although going to the Air2 would have probably been the same for us..

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I upgraded from the original Air to the new iPad Pro 9.7" as well and I'm blown away with the performance of this new iPad Pro, everything is so smooth. I like the ability to use Split Screen as well. As for the speakers I'm not blown away with them as some would have you believe but I do notice a bit more clarity from them. Touch ID is nice to have on an iPad (finally).

I had my original Air to compare against side by side with this new Pro and I can say, I immediately noticed the improved colour gamut and how close everything looked to the surface of the iPad (I know this laminating process was done for the Air 2) and finally I noticed less reflectivity on the new Pro's display which helps massively.

Bad points of the new Pro:

No flashlight button in Control Centre
No mute switch
That's about it really

Everyone who got a new Pro I hope you enjoy it. As for anyone wondering if they should upgrade from the original Air, I say GO FOR IT!

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I upgraded from the original Air to the new iPad Pro 9.7" as well and I'm blown away with the performance of this new iPad Pro, everything is so smooth. I like the ability to use Split Screen as well. As for the speakers I'm not blown away with them as some would have you believe but I do notice a bit more clarity from them. Touch ID is nice to have on an iPad (finally).

I had my original Air to compare against side by side with this new Pro and I can say, I immediately noticed the improved colour gamut and how close everything looked to the surface of the iPad (I know this laminating process was done for the Air 2) and finally I noticed less reflectivity on the new Pro's display which helps massively.

Bad points of the new Pro:

No flashlight button in Control Centre
No mute switch
That's about it really

Everyone who got a new Pro I hope you enjoy it. As for anyone wondering if they should upgrade from the original Air, I say GO FOR IT!

Darn you.....I'm sold....!!! :)

Ordered and off to go and pick it up now (late shop opening)

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I also have an iPad Air. I've been contemplating upgrading to the Pro. I'm just a casual user. Few games, web, movies, social media, reading... Etc. Nothing major. I went from an iPad 2 to the Air. I'll wait and read a few more reviews and go from there.

stevelaw

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Just upgraded. I feel the weight difference is noticeable. Speed better. Apple pencil, etc, etc.

One interesting difference (which might have happened between the Air 1 and Air 2, but I don't recall seeing any reports) is that my smart cover from the Air 1 does not work with the Pro. The magnets on the right edge of the pad (not the hinge side) are reversed, thus the right edge pops up rather than hold tight against the ipad.

Thanks Apple!

Copefree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I upgraded from an original iPad Air 16GB LTE to the iPad Pro 128GB LTE.

I've had the Pro for almost an hour now and I'm absolutely loving it. It flies! And it's great having so much more space.

Reactions: rui no onna

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Right, nipped out and got one, didn't take much to persuade me......

It's certainly quicker, I like the split screen thing and it's quite a bit lighter too. Very impressed with the camera too, although I doubt I'll use it.

Screen and colour gamut are much better. Just viewing my DSLR pics in LightRoom and comparing the same image between the old and new iPad it's noticeably better.

I also got the Apple Pencil with it and I love that.

For others considering the same upgrade from the original Air, I'd say it's not going to be a huge gain, but it is noticeable. Personally, I'm really pleased I did, mainly for the speed and better rendition of my camera shots, stick in the Apple Pencil thing and it seals the deal for me. Oh, and nice that Touch ID is there, the amount of times I think I have it on my iPad before I realise it's not there!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

It's certainly quicker, I like the split screen thing and it's quite a bit lighter too. Very impressed with the camera too, although I doubt I'll use it.

Screen and colour gamut are much better. Just viewing my DSLR pics in LightRoom and comparing the same image between the old and new iPad it's noticeably better.

For others considering the same upgrade from the original Air, I'd say it's not going to be a huge gain, but it is noticeable. Personally, I'm really pleased I did, mainly for the speed and better rendition of my camera shots, stick in the Apple Pencil thing and it seals the deal for me. Oh, and nice that Touch ID is there, the amount of times I think I have it on my iPad before I realise it's not there!
I use my iPad for similar things (mainly Safari, The Times, iBooks, Facebook, Netflix and sometimes sketching quick ideas), tempted to buy a Pro (you're not helping :p ) but I'll stick with my Air 1 for now. Still works fine, though I would like Safari tabs to not reload after thirty seconds of being off the page...

I'm hoping for a thinner MacBook Pro/more powerful MacBook which may end up replacing both my computer and my iPad. I'm not really sure. Definitely upgrading my MBP this year though so it's probably best I save money and don't update my iPad!

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom

What's your impressions of the Apple Pencil on the new Pro 9.7"? I'm planning to go pick one up when I have the money.

Ironically, now that I have the Pro 9.7" I keep forgetting it has the Touch ID even though I always thought I had it on my original Air :confused:.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Updated from 32gb Air1 to 128 pro 9.7"
I've only had it for a few hours and spent most of them building it from scratch (I didn't want to do a restore).
Feels much faster than the Air.
I absolutely love the sound with proper stereo separation in landscape mode.
I also love the true tone screen. Much much gentler on the eye.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
The pro is much faster and the screen is crisper with the True Tone feature being a nice bonus. The glass feels silkier and the whole unit is lighter. And my safari tabs no longer lock into blank pages! I'm very happy with my upgrade and I haven't even tried out the new camera or speakers yet as I'm using my old air 1 case until my new one comes in and it blocks those features.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
UK
What's your impressions of the Apple Pencil on the new Pro 9.7"? I'm planning to go pick one up when I have the money.

I've been using it all night, love it....I was worried that the iPad would be too small to make it that useful, but it's fine. Main points:

- It works much better than I thought it would. Yeah, I've read the reviews which say it's good, but it really is uncanny how it works so well.
- It's good enough to take hand written notes with it, so might start using it in Notes for lists etc.
- Downloaded the ProCreate drawing app as well, and it works really well with that

Also, a side benefit is that if you want to select text to copy/paste, or just got back to correct a typo in something you've typed, it's far more accurate to do that with the Pencil than using you finger.

I'd really recommend it.

All I need to do now is decide on a case....I haven't got one yet, as need to make up my mind on the keyboard one or just a normal one. Leave that decision for another time......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.