Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sslade6752

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
I've been using it all night, love it....I was worried that the iPad would be too small to make it that useful, but it's fine. Main points:

- It works much better than I thought it would. Yeah, I've read the reviews which say it's good, but it really is uncanny how it works so well.
- It's good enough to take hand written notes with it, so might start using it in Notes for lists etc.
- Downloaded the ProCreate drawing app as well, and it works really well with that

Also, a side benefit is that if you want to select text to copy/paste, or just got back to correct a typo in something you've typed, it's far more accurate to do that with the Pencil than using you finger.

I'd really recommend it.

All I need to do now is decide on a case....I haven't got one yet, as need to make up my mind on the keyboard one or just a normal one. Leave that decision for another time......

Just curios how it feels on the screen? I was gong to get one but was wondering about possible screen scratches and if a screen protector or insurance for the screen would be needed. M a diehard Bodyguardz tempered glass screen protector on my iPhone since it saved my iPhone 4

macbookguy

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2006
I upgraded Air 1 to Pro 9.7. I'm truly amazed. My only problem is I can't get split view working no matter what I try.

bobbydaz

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
UK
The screen well to be honest it looks like the Air 1. I cant say its a great deal better but then there was nothing wrong with the air 1.

Have to disagree, the screen is nothing like the Air 1. I did a side by side with mine and the Pro is huge improvement. The reduced glare makes such a difference. The colours are deeper and blacks blacker. At times it's as if the Pro has no glass. Great display.

Matthias46

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
Buyed yesterday the Pro in the store to replace my Air 1...

Is like night and day!

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Just upgraded. I feel the weight difference is noticeable. Speed better. Apple pencil, etc, etc.

One interesting difference (which might have happened between the Air 1 and Air 2, but I don't recall seeing any reports) is that my smart cover from the Air 1 does not work with the Pro. The magnets on the right edge of the pad (not the hinge side) are reversed, thus the right edge pops up rather than hold tight against the ipad.

Thanks Apple!
Wait, whaaaat!? I kept my cover and not expected to work perfectly but this? It sounds like an artificial way of pushing sales of covers. F**k apple seriously, This sounds like a scam to me. I would never expect to say this of apple after 30 years of usage of their products.

I will go for a non original cover, they are not going to see my money on this one.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I upgraded Air 1 to Pro 9.7. I'm truly amazed. My only problem is I can't get split view working no matter what I try.

Have you got the setting enabled in Settings? If not - Settings - General - Multitasking - turn 'Allow Multiple Apps' on

If it's already enabled, make sure you are trying to start split screen in compatible apps as I couldn't get split screen to work so I backed out of the app I was in, went into Safari and attempted to start split screen again and it worked.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
So I've been using it for the past day. I really like it it's a great upgrade for my Air 1. The only issue is when I have the iPad, the keyboard, and the silicone case, it is heavier than Air 1. But I think I will get used to it. It's worth being heavier since it has a keyboard.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
So I've been using it for the past day. I really like it it's a great upgrade for my Air 1. The only issue is when I have the iPad, the keyboard, and the silicone case, it is heavier than Air 1. But I think I will get used to it. It's worth being heavier since it has a keyboard.

Thinking of returning the silicone case. I didn't use one on the Air and it's just adding weight. Might just stick with smart kb. The smartcover is awful and they seem to get worse with each ipad.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
Thinking of returning the silicone case. I didn't use one on the Air and it's just adding weight. Might just stick with smart kb. The smartcover is awful.
The issue is that if I don't have the case then if I put the iPad down then the camera will come in direct contact with the table.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
Anyone else upgrade from the air 1 to the 9.7 pro? I'm all over the place. Don't know if I should go 9.7 pro or 12.9.

Matthias46

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
Anyone else upgrade from the air 1 to the 9.7 pro? I'm all over the place. Don't know if I should go 9.7 pro or 12.9.

Well i tried the 12.9...but since i don't plan to use it with a keyboard or a pencil...the 9.7 is perfect to hold it in the hands!

Chambolle

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2016
I made the upgrade from Air 1 and am loving the Pro. Very happy with the decision. Love the better screen, much improved audio and faster performance.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Upgraded from Air 1 (64gb) to 9.7 Pro (128gb). Faster, no scroll lag on Safari, like the True Tone setting, speakers are amazing. My wifi speeds are faster. The only thing I miss is the Moshi versacover. Have the Apple Smart Cover and silicone back. Hope Moshi comes through.

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Im gettin major scroll lag on ebay etc....i made a video in my own thread..Im not happy with the onhand differance I am getting between air 1 and pro 9.7...Besides split screen which i aint using much of, I see no screen differances..

Think I am going to return it to apple

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
Have to disagree, the screen is nothing like the Air 1. I did a side by side with mine and the Pro is huge improvement. The reduced glare makes such a difference. The colours are deeper and blacks blacker. At times it's as if the Pro has no glass. Great display.

Same here. The Pro's screen is noticeably better in several ways.

Reactions: redman042

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I have a mini 2 which has the same specs as the Air 1, I want to upgrade so badly. This iPad is getting really sluggish with iOS 9 and I regret getting the smaller iPad, the screen is smaller than I would like (loved it at first but it got old) and the colors are bad compared to my iPhone 6 or my friend's iPad Air.

However I'm 16 and need to get a rMBP for college in the coming year or two, so I don't need to go spending $600 on something I don't exactly need. This iPad does what it needs to, just with a bit more jerkiness/sluggishness/page refreshes than I would prefer. Not a total deal breaker though. I'll survive.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Better camera, battery life, display, audio quality. Happy with the upgrade.
I always heard the Air 2 didn't do as well as the Air with battery life. The Pro 9.7 has a similar, slimmed down battery so I've been wondering how battery life is.. How would it get better is what I'm wondering.

macbookguy

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2006
Have you got the setting enabled in Settings? If not - Settings - General - Multitasking - turn 'Allow Multiple Apps' on

If it's already enabled, make sure you are trying to start split screen in compatible apps as I couldn't get split screen to work so I backed out of the app I was in, went into Safari and attempted to start split screen again and it worked.

I owe you a Coke, or a Beer.

THANK YOU!

Reactions: MrJM

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I'll be picking up my newly ordered 9.7" Pro later on today!(I'll be sure to post my first impression by the end of the day aswell). My Air has significantly slowed down the past 2 years.. It'll be nice to get an upgrade!

I have a quick question though, after I've restored it from the iCloud backup, does it ask for the email passwords immediately on the home screen, or do I need to verify them in the settings app?
Thanks!

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I'll be picking up my newly ordered 9.7" Pro later on today!(I'll be sure to post my first impression by the end of the day aswell). My Air has significantly slowed down the past 2 years.. It'll be nice to get an upgrade!

I have a quick question though, after I've restored it from the iCloud backup, does it ask for the email passwords immediately on the home screen, or do I need to verify them in the settings app?
Thanks!
It will prompt you when you try to bring up the mail app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.