Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Up to now I've always been a 9.7 fan -- love the mini too but different tasks. I have a 9.7 Pro now and as soon as the new iPads go on sale I'll probably make the jump to the current generation.

I've played with the 10.5 and 12.9. The 10.5 is just a tad bigger than the 9.7 and you feel it, not in the weight but how the weight is distributed in the slightly bigger case. It's not as comfortable to me as the 9.7 was BUT who doesn't love more screen.

So now that iOS 11 seems to be taking multitasking a bit more seriously I'm actually considering the 12.9 -- a model I didn't care at all about when I bought the 9.7.

For those that made the jump to this current model 12.9 from a previous 9.7 model: how is it working out for you?

Do you travel with it on airplanes? Is it awkward to use in a coach plane seat?

Can you comfortably use it to read or browse with on a couch or bed? Or is it a best to place on a table -- really more of a laptop substitute than content consumption device?

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

seadragon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2009
I have a 9.7 Pro and bought a new 12.9 Pro 3 weeks ago. My 9.7 has been powered off ever since. I really like the 12.9 and I am personally having no isssues at all with portability. I relax on the couch, in the backyard and in bed with it. I bring it to work every day. I haven't been on a plane yet since getting it but that also won't be a problem. I've used my 13 inch MBP with no problems on a plane and the iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard takes up less space that the MBP.

i-CFpQTVF-L.jpg

i-d5vTHXC-L.jpg

i-HzDxrtk-L.jpg

Last edited:

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
I had a 9.7 pro and just got a 12.9 256gb through Sprint. I love it. I have no problems when it comes to ease of use, carrying it around, holding it. It is so thin and while it extends out from the hand a bit, it just doesn't ever feel heavy. I still love the 9.7 as well though. They both have good speakers. Amazing for their size and in stereo. I think they sound far better than your typical blue tooth speaker. The 9.7's sound really good and the 12.9's sound great (more bass). I will sell the 9.7 soon, but it's only because I feel guilty having two iPads that work so well and ultimately the 12.9 is just more iPad than the 9.7.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
I contemplated upgrading to the 12.9 but after remembering trying out the 1st gen 12.9 I remembered that it was pretty cumbersome to carry around. Honestly I would rather carry my 13” MacBoook Pro instead of the 12.9 iPad. After using the 10.5 for a few days, I’m really satisfied with the screen size increase. It’s still not going to be a laptop replacement for me, but I’ve definitely added more apps to make my workflow move towards that. I think before with my iPad Pro 9.7” it was used for 40% of my work, but with the 10.5” it’s closer to 60%. That little increase in screen size definitely helps. Also, iOS 11 has been great.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For those that made the jump to this current model 12.9 from a previous 9.7 model: how is it working out for you?
It's been awesome. It's what I always use when at home. I also bring it to the office daily (I don't take public transportation) and use it for PDF markup and viewing/minor editing of Microsoft Office documents during meetings, etc.

Do you travel with it on airplanes? Is it awkward to use in a coach plane seat?
Haven't traveled since I got the 12.9 last week. My first airplane trip is probably going to be December or something. I expect I'll probably end up using the Pro 9.7 unless I can find a lightweight purse that can fit and provide easy access to the Pro 12.9.

Can you comfortably use it to read or browse with on a couch or bed? Or is it a best to place on a table -- really more of a laptop substitute than content consumption device?
Yes. No problem. I tend to prop the iPad up using pillows, though.
Replies in blue. :)

killaz05

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2016
Brandon, FL
With iOS11 around the corner ( I have the beta) I think the 12.9 would be a great direction for me from my current 9.7. Multitasking with split view is very cramped on the 9.7. The screen on the new pros are amazing as well. The main reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because selling the 9.7 pro doesn't get me very close to the price of the 12.9 at all.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I too have 9.7 pro

Tried 10.5 and returned a few due to screen issues...

But I did come to realize 10.5 in landscape wasn’t very comfortable trying to hold it and type (ymmv) so like 4.7 to 5.5mplus iPhone I realized if its gonna be “too big” might as well reap the benefits of screen size since I couldn’t one hand 4.7 and 5/5s/SE is perfect for that

Personally i didn’t care for trimmed side bezels either I was holding the device too carefully to not obstruct the screen with my hands in portrait. Aesthetically I liked it but practicality wise not so much. However slightly trimmed top and bottom bezels in portrait was something I appreciated without reservation

So anyways

Have had a beautiful screen gen 2 12.9 for a week now and I have used my nTB minimally same with 9.7 aside from bed while holding it up or laying down, etc.

With a nice case to prop up the 12.9 (I have procase it’s cheap on amazon) this thing really shines!

I think the key is holding onto 9.7 for “those situations” you want more portability

Otherwise I can easily see myself using the 12.9 a ton

Ps- At the time I tried 12.9 gen 1 I sold my air 2 for it and I kinda regretted not having a smaller tablet and no P3 screen or true tone so I went to 9.7 Pro. So depending on how you planning on doing this even if you tried 12.9 before it may be worth trying again unless you really really hate the idea of a huge tablet period

9.7 pro and 12.9 if you can swing it appears so far to be PERFECT without any remorse

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think the key is holding onto 9.7 for “those situations” you want more portability

Otherwise I can easily see myself using the 12.9 a ton

Ps- At the time I tried 12.9 gen 1 I sold my air 2 for it and I kinda regretted not having a smaller tablet and no P3 screen or true tone so I went to 9.7 Pro. So depending on how you planning on doing this even if you tried 12.9 before it may be worth trying again unless you really really hate the idea of a huge tablet period

9.7 pro and 12.9 if you can swing it appears so far to be PERFECT without any remorse
Yep. I still need the 9.7 for mobile usage. That's the reason I prioritized the Pro 9.7 last year instead of getting the 1st gen 12.9. Besides, comiXology hasn't been updated back then to support 12.9 anyway.

The 9.7 is my go everywhere device. The 12.9 is for more stationary use (bed, couch, desk).

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Made the switch from 9.7 pro to 10.5 pro then 12.9 pro. At first the 12.9 did seem very large. But now Ive gotten used to it. I mostly use the 12.9 with the Smart Keyboard on my lap so no need to hold it in my hands. When using the 12.9 in bed I use it with Smart Cover so its easier to hold.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've got the 12'9" 1st gen. I love it, especially split screening. Looking forward to ios11 for the dragging and dropping. It's big, but imho, big in a good way.

This. The 12.9 iPad will take full advantage of the the iPad user interface with split screen and iOS 11 will open up even more potential when it launches in September. When the 12.9 launched back in November 2015, I was completely against the size factor, now With the Apple Smart Keyboard and offering more capabilities, it has exactly what I have been wanting and to compliment my 10.5 iPad soon enough.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I have a 9.7 Pro and bought a new 12.9 Pro 3 weeks ago. My 9.7 has been powered off ever since. I really like the 12.9 and I am personally having no isssues at all with portability. I relax on the couch, in the backyard and in bed with it. I bring it to work every day. I haven't been on a plane yet since getting it but that also won't be a problem. I've used my 13 inch MBP with no problems on a plane and the iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard takes up less space that the MBP.

i-CFpQTVF-L.jpg

i-d5vTHXC-L.jpg

i-HzDxrtk-L.jpg
Forget the iPad. You have a beautiful yard!

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Moved from an Air 1 to the Pro 2 12.9. Zero issues here. The ONLY use case where the 12.9 doesn't work is laying on the couch on my back/side. I use a Mini for that. Other than that no issues and you get used to the size after a week or two and it doesn't seem so big. I will be flying in two weeks so I'll know more then on how I feel about it on a non-first class seat.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I moved from an Air 2 to a Pro 12.9, and prior to that I owned a first gen Mini.

There are no issues with portability with the 12.9" iPad Pro. I've used it in all situations I used my Air 2: On my lap while sitting on the touch, holding it up/sitting it on my stomach/chest while lying on my back on the couch, walking around the house with it in one hand using it with the other, at the airport waiting for a flight, carrrying it in hand while juggling a bag and boarding pass, using it in an economy seat (admittedly it was only an hour flight). I've even kept it in my backpack while doing a 2 hour hike at Cradle Mountain in Tasmania. Right now its in my lap on the couch while I write this post on the Apple Smart Keyboard (which is honestly one of the best and fastest keyboards I've ever used).

I've encountered no issues at all with portability and the extra screen space makes it's more versatile than all other sizes available. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks for all the comments. Really helpful. I had to go p/u something at the mall yesterday so took the opportunity to play around with the iPads again -- this was before I read the feedback here. I think the comments here kind of sync with how I felt when I left the store yesterday.

First take away was I decided 10.5 doesn't really offer me anything new to justify upgrading from my 9.7 Pro. It's a tad bigger, but just a tad. It's faster. My 9.7 isn't slow. Fantastic screen. The 9.7 screen is hardly an eye killer. The 12.9 though is more because of it's size. It really does make multitasking and two-page safari viewing something you want to do, not just something that's possible. I did feel silly though reading a book on a 12.9" screen. I almost felt like I was part of a Conan parody skit. Not a deal killer just an observation. So I'm down to either 12.9 or stick with what I have.

My stumbling block with the 12.9" is that while the thinnest feels really great -- anyone leave theirs naked if not using w/keyboard? -- the whole mass of it feels a tad awkward. Not heavy, just odd to hold. Maybe that is something to get use to after handling 9.7" models for all these years. It will take me a few more store "demo" trips to figure that out I think. By then maybe a few sales will start popping up.

Kelson13

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
Dallas, TX
I don't really travel, but as far as home and office use, I use my new 12.9" much throughout the day. Most of the time is on a table or desk, but a chunk of it is on the couch or in a chair where it sits in my lap. I don't find it cumbersome at all, even with a rugged case (I use the UAG Metropolis, which is rugged, but not bulky).

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Thanks for all the comments. Really helpful. I had to go p/u something at the mall yesterday so took the opportunity to play around with the iPads again -- this was before I read the feedback here. I think the comments here kind of sync with how I felt when I left the store yesterday.

First take away was I decided 10.5 doesn't really offer me anything new to justify upgrading from my 9.7 Pro. It's a tad bigger, but just a tad. It's faster. My 9.7 isn't slow. Fantastic screen. The 9.7 screen is hardly an eye killer. The 12.9 though is more because of it's size. It really does make multitasking and two-page safari viewing something you want to do, not just something that's possible. I did feel silly though reading a book on a 12.9" screen. I almost felt like I was part of a Conan parody skit. Not a deal killer just an observation. So I'm down to either 12.9 or stick with what I have.

My stumbling block with the 12.9" is that while the thinnest feels really great -- anyone leave theirs naked if not using w/keyboard? -- the whole mass of it feels a tad awkward. Not heavy, just odd to hold. Maybe that is something to get use to after handling 9.7" models for all these years. It will take me a few more store "demo" trips to figure that out I think. By then maybe a few sales will start popping up.
I have an Incipio Feather case (https://www.incipio.com/cases/ipad-...pad-pro-12-9-cases/feather-ipad-pro-case.html) on mine and even that super thin shell adds significantly to the bulk feel of the device, IMO. When I'm in the field I'll keep the Feather on. Otherwise I remove it and just use the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard, depending on current use.

That being said, I'm also the type that refuses to use a case with my iPhone :eek:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
As odd as it seems I think I'll stand behind this observation after some time:

when shopping for big screen HDTV'S, they always look smaller in the store than when you get it set up at home and start using it

With 12.9 in Apple stores I feel it's the opposite. Looks colossal on those wooden tables, especially pitted against 9.7/iPhones/mini4 but on its own and using it "in the wild," it still seems big but luxuriously so and it starts to make more sense

Ymmv

Kelson13

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
Dallas, TX
I have a 12" laptop for work and my iPad Pro 12.9" has about the same footprint for H and W, but it's less than half as thick as the laptop. If I can carry that laptop around all the time without thinking it's heavy, I'm sure the ipad is plenty light and not too bulky or big, even in a rugged case.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I switch between the Apple Smart Keyboard and the Smart Cover for my 12.9 Pro. I have only a clear skin on the back to protect against scratches and improve grip.

With a back skin and smart cover this thing is insanely thin and light. The weight distribution is very even. For those times when I have the smart keyboard and want to use it in tablet mode, I detach the keyboard, flip it around and reattached it to the smart connector. (This allows for the cover side of the ASK to face outward)

The ONLY scenario where the 12.9 Pro's size is problematic for me has been on a plane.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I went from the Air1 to the 2nd gen 12.9

I'm only one day into it so not a lot of opinions yet - except the air screen seems tiny already!

The onscreen keyboard keeps messing me up though, the numbers there all the time don't register. I launch the emoji screen a lot! Lol

It will work out well, but I'm probably going to wish there was going to be a MiniPro sometimes.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.