Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick05

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Florida
I made the switch from an iPad Air 2 to the 12.9" iPad Pro (first gen). When I bought my iPad Air 2 I was originally planning to buy the iPad Mini 3 due to size, but when it didn't receive any upgrades other than the Touch ID I decided to get the Air 2. I was glad that I did as it was thinner and lighter than I thought it would be. It also became the device I used most for personal use. I noticed that I would occasionally grab my MacBook Air when I wanted a larger screen and started thinking about the iPad Pro more. I decided to see what was available on Craigslist and found a decent deal and negotiated to an amazing deal and bought a good as new used one to try. I quit using my iPad Air 2 almost completely. While it is larger and heavier, it is still fairly thin and easy to hold. It does look big and I get comments of "That is a huge iPad!" often. I travel relatively often and haven't had any problems with it on the plane in coach, though the smaller iPads do take up less space on the tray tables if you use them for drinks or food as well. I don't plan to go back to the smaller iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm not. A simple and efficient setup is best.

Not juggling all these different devices, and their content, to try to chase the perfect setup for a x number of different scenarios. It sounds like unnecessary mental and physical clutter.
Except there isn't a one-size-fits-all scenario. The 9.7/10.5" iPad is perfect for outside use due to its smaller size, while the larger iPad shines when used on a flat surface or when reclining in bed or on a sofa. With cloud storage, all files are synced automatically, you still pay for apps only once, and peripherals such as the apple pencil and dongles are cross-compatible.

I admit I am tempted, but I know I am not going to be able to use both enough to justify the price of getting an extra iPad.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Except there isn't a one-size-fits-all scenario. The 9.7/10.5" iPad is perfect for outside use due to its smaller size, while the larger iPad shines when used on a flat surface or when reclining in bed or on a sofa. With cloud storage, all files are synced automatically, you still pay for apps only once, and peripherals such as the apple pencil and dongles are cross-compatible.

I admit I am tempted, but I know I am not going to be able to use both enough to justify the price of getting an extra iPad.

Agree with your sentiments. Mainly being both sizes offer different advantages to based off how mobile the user can be. Both iPads are very portable, but the 12.9 iPad is likely the more stationary device, where as the 10.5 is easier one handed and is likely the choice for portability. At least based off user readings, it appears this is more favored.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia

Not juggling all these different devices, and their content, to try to chase the perfect setup for a x number of different scenarios. It sounds like unnecessary mental and physical clutter.

Less clutter for me ...... don't have endless questions such as is the 12,9 too big, is the 9.7 too small etc. I use them for work as well as everything else and the two sizes cover my needs, along with MBPr.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Doesn't the iPhone kind of solve the need for that?

I am speaking as a teacher. I use my iPad in the classroom, so the 9.7" is comfortable enough to hold in one hand and bring around with me. But I have also played around with the 12.9" iPad and like how conducive the larger display is for tasks such as reading PDF documents in notability, browsing the web and for split-screen multitasking.

It's just nicer for home use (I don't see myself leaving the home with it), but not "nice" and crucial enough justify plonking down another $1k+ and having to contend with all that redundancy.

So congrats to everyone who has manage to make this work.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
My setup boils down to hardcore requirements, iPhone for emergency work, iPad for most work that doesn't require me to be physically in front of my MacBook Air and finally the MacBook Air to do the essentials that can't be achieved on the iPad. I prefer to carry the iPad instead of the MacBook for obvious reasons.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002

I find it to be the opposite, actually. I have two minis and a 9.7 Pro. The minis stay in the house and I use them mostly as remote controls (Harmony, HomeKit, Apple Remote app -- music on my Mac, etc.) and web/book readers. The 9.7 OTOH is my go-to for outside the house and travel and the only one w/ cellular capability. All the important data like bookmarks, notes, calendars, syncs up via iCloud just like on my other Apple devices. Also have docs I'm working on in DropBox, so no mess on the document side either.

There is no clutter. They sit neatly on a charging stand when not in use and also double as HomeKit "hey Siri" microphones." To me it's no different than when my grandfather use to keep a pad and pencil next to every telephone.

Personally, I need multiple iPads, each with their own "home," because if I only had one I'd always be hunting for where I last left it. This way each is always in the room where it belongs.

Leroy_Melb

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2017
I have a 9.7 Pro and bought a new 12.9 Pro 3 weeks ago. My 9.7 has been powered off ever since. I really like the 12.9 and I am personally having no isssues at all with portability. I relax on the couch, in the backyard and in bed with it. I bring it to work every day. I haven't been on a plane yet since getting it but that also won't be a problem. I've used my 13 inch MBP with no problems on a plane and the iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard takes up less space that the MBP.

i-CFpQTVF-L.jpg

i-d5vTHXC-L.jpg

i-HzDxrtk-L.jpg
Hi there. I too have the 12.9 2nd gen and it's a great machine. Could I ask a favour and get you to please advise the time that your new 12.9 takes to go from powered off to apple logo. I'm seeing variable results but basically it seems that the time taken on the new model from pressing the power button to seeing the Apple logo is around 6 seconds (when unplugged). Thanks in advance.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
I'm in the process of making the switch, waiting for my 21.9 to ship. I can see what some people say about portability, but since I can't afford to keep the 9.7 Pro, I'll go with the 12.9. It's not perfect, but I'm loomkiogn forward to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.