Who's Naked?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarakn, Nov 14, 2013.

1. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

I knew that will get your attention. :p

This is my first mac and I went all out. To protect my mbp, I purchased a sleeve from incase and had ordered moshi shell that was set for store pickup.

The sleeve was delivered to me and I've been using it for the past 2 weeks. I purposely delayed picking up the shell, but I'm heading to the apple store to pick up my ipad air tonight.

I wanted your feedback on the need for a shell. I carry my mbp in the sleeve and it's worked so far. At home, I use my mb mainly on my bed/desk and it's clean enough that I don't have a risk of scratches.

I'm a consultant and move my laptop around during a workday - meetings, presentations, different desks, airports, planes, etc. It's only 2 weeks and obviously there are no scratches.

Are these really prone to scratches that it's worth protecting right now. I like the look of the naked mac, but would rather protect it if needed.

Please let me know. BTW, I got the black case.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

You certainly don't need a shell. Most people just carry it in a sleeve and call it a day. Macs hold up very well.

Myself, I'm going naked. My backpack has a built-in neoprene sleeve with a velcro strap, eliminating my need for a case/sleeve. I thought about picking up a very minimal sleeve for transporting purposes, but other than that I'm fine.

3. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

This reminds me, I would like to find a stiff and thin protective sleeve for when I pack my laptop in a non-laptop bag which is often. The new 13" is thin so I would like to protect it against bending or getting dents from being in other types of bags or packs.

Anyone make such an animal?

4. Breedlove macrumors regular

How about the Booq Viper Sleeve?

5. kap09 macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-Macbo...384448669&sr=8-14&keywords=macbook+pro+sleeve

I've used the MBA version on mine since I got it back at launch in June. I have a maxed out Air and feel totally confident carrying around in this sleeve inside my messenger bag that goes EVERYWHERE with me.

6. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thanks. When I get to the apple store, I'll return the moshi and wait for a better case. I'm all about a lighter ipad, but too light could be an issue. I think moshi releases their case in a few weeks.

Any opinions about Apple's ipad smart covers?

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The SFBags suede jacket sleeve looks good to me. Like I said, I don't need a case other than for when I want to take it to the library/coffee shop or something.

8. agaskew macrumors 6502

I'd disagree and say get a shell, especially if you are moving around a lot like you say. I put a Speck shell on my 15" because I did scratch the bottom very slightly.

9. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I work in tech support and can tell you most of the 'shell' cases get dirt/grime/dust/etc stuck underneath the shell and then scratch the surface way more than not having it on there at all.

10. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

What about keyboard covers? I've never bought one before and don't really think I am going to unless people find them to be amazing and a must have. I usually clean my keyboards with disinfectant wipes while its off and then wipe with paper towel or microfiber cloth.

As for covers, I don't use one since I didn't like the incase cover on my old mbp but I have a body glove sleeve from my cMBP that I'm using now.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I rock both of my MBPs naked, but I use a sleeve to protect them inside bags. My mid-2009 does have some scratches, but I figure it's inevitable with laptops in college lecture halls. I put my sleeve under the laptop to protect the bottom from major scratches while sitting in desks and at tables.

I was at the Genius Bar a few months ago and saw what a MacBook looks like after spending years in a hard case: scratches and grime all over it! If you're going to use one, at least take it off occasionally and clean your Mac.

12. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

If you have young kids around, a keyboard cover is justifiable. (I have a friend who learned this the hard way.) Otherwise, nah.

13. rapicell macrumors regular

I've had a macbook since 2008 and the only damage it's taken is just from me being stupid and not paying attention and I take it every where with me. So, you really don't need a shell if you carry your mac around in a padded case. Outside of that, unless you're just really rough with it, it won't take much damage if at all. Just make sure to clean the screen or dust will get stuck to it.
    Plus, you have to continuously take the shell off at least once to twice a week to clean and that usually just scratches it up alone.

14. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

When my rMBP 15 was brand new, I used this shell: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AZYIKU/. It looks to be very similar to the Moshi shell, but for a lot less money. I don't move my Mac around a lot, but when it was brand new I wanted to protect it against scratches when I used it on airplanes, etc. The Aluminum Macs look great and are fairly durable, but they do scratch easily.

Now that my rMBP has some age on it and I'm no longer thinking about doing a quick sale to upgrade to a bigger RAM/SSD config, I don't bother with the shell any more. I just carry it around in a small briefcase and I'm very careful about the surface I rest it on. (On a plane, I'll put it on a magazine, rather than directly on a metal tray.)

15. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

as soon as i opened up my laptop, i put in a hard shell case. whenever i do carry it around, in a laptop messenger bag, i'm incredibly grateful for that shell, as i tend to bump into walls...

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I keep my rMBP naked and I always have. The only thing I have is a sleeve for when I need to put it in a bag with other items.

17. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I'm using a keyboard cover on my rMBP. (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQFFSAG/) I think the keyboard is where the machine is the most vulnerable to intrusion by liquids, dust, crumbs, etc. I actually eat and drink next to my laptop, so I'm doing what I can to minimize the risk of my unsafe computer use. ;) Another precaution is to elevate the laptop slightly on a magazine so that a spilled drink won't go straight into the bottom air vents.

18. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Mine looks and feels naked too :) but I have a full body MATTE skin. It feels and looks like bare aluminum. I also have a $1.00 Topcase keyboard protector which looks exactly like the Moshi counterpart.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would say that it's not bad of a protection for around $30. Can't beat that!

19. g4cube macrumors 6502a

With it naked, you will eventually scratch or mar your MBPr. I have had several MBP, MB Air, and MBPr and there will be a time you forget and place something on top, or it will get scratched by a cable in your carry bag.

I have used the shells to protect some of them, and the only real downside to the shell is that sometimes they will crack and sometimes lose small pieces of plastic on the corners. Otherwise, I have been happy with them, with the only complaint being lack of certain colors which I prefer.

As for other protection, my new 13" MBPr has the Kuzy darkgray shell, and I am happy with it. The only real defect is that the rear, back corners of the base are more a friction fit rather than being high enough to clamp the top surface. So far, never has slid off.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V6Y52I

I have laptop backpack, with padded sleeve, but still place the shell-clad laptop inside a protective case before placing inside the backpack. This one from Amazon, also has a padded pocket for 7" tablet like Mac mini, Kindle, or Android tablet. I carry my Kindle HDX inside the pocket.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G01HNI

20. triplelucky macrumors regular

I get it that you like the look of your macbook. They are beautiful machines. But they will ding and they will scratch when the accident eventually happens. Then you’ll feel pretty bad.

I would put in in a rubberized hard shell for everyday safety and take it off briefly on special occasions when you can admire its looks and fondle it naked for a while.

Additionally when its time to sell it it will be worth more in pristine condition than with numerous dents and scratches.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

22. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

Where did you get it?

23. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I know for a fact that you have non-removeable decals on it. :D

24. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Bestskinsever

25. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I've never had a shell or skin on any of my MBPs. Wouldn't that kind of be like driving a Lamborghini with a tarp on it?

A nice clamshell-style sleeve does the trick. Use it when you leave the house. Otherwise, naked as God intended! ;)